Track # 236- Eriez, PA

  • Andy Ritter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2006
      5/28/06- I have been wanting to go to Eriez for quite a while to
      catch their weekly sunday latemodel program, but the 6 hour ride from
      my former home in Stroudsburg was just far enough that I did not want
      to attempt it and go to work on monday, but close enough that if I had
      a vacation day or monday off that I would opt for further options for
      sunday trackchasing. Now that I am in Mansfield and it is only a 3
      hour 45 minute ride it was on my hit list. This past sunday my Dad
      and I made the ride to Eriez. He had been here about 10 years ago and
      warned of too many classes and a poorly run show. Oh well- as a
      trackchaser you take the good with the bad.

      We arrived at the track at 530 for the scheduled 6pm start and the
      large grandstand was 2/3 full. A reasonable $9 admission to the
      stands made a good first impression, along with the professional
      looking facility. That is where the fun stopped however. I did scarf
      down some $2 chili dogs which were average at best, and we sat under
      the sweltering sun in the turn 4 grandstand. Wait a minute- it is 15
      minutes before starting time and the track is nowhere near ready as
      the straightways are a quagmire. Back to the car we went and sat in
      the AC for another 45 minutes, and racing ultimately started an hour
      late. The grandtand offers a nice view, with the sun setting directly
      behind the crowd, and the general appearance of the place is very
      good. I did learn that the new owner of the facility, Bob Rohrer,
      has an excavating business. How do I know this? Because it seemed
      like he was so concerned with showing off his vast fleet of graders,
      dump trucks, tractors, etc that he did not have anyone actually doing
      anything to the track. There were 2 graders, and both circled the
      track, but only one had its blade down actually working, while the
      other seemed to be an advertisement for Rohrer's business. Not
      someone I would hire to do any work as they seemed about as motivated
      as Penndot to get the job done.

      Once racing for the 7 classes did start the turns were dusty and the
      water truck had to be summoned numerous times. The heats were
      generally boring with constant spins and stopped cars. The headline
      latemodels ran there heats at 830, 2 and 1/2 hours after the scheduled
      start time. Noone seemed to mind as the packed house seemed to enjoy
      the beers which were for sale at a cheap price at the concession
      stand. We grew frustrated as even though this was a holiday weekend
      we wanted to get home and get some sleep. The lights came on well
      before any features had been run, and were marginal at best. The
      announcer seemd good, although was quiet most of the night. The
      large 32 car emod field required a consi, which was called after the
      last heat. Only 3 cars came to post and the track wisely checkered
      the race. I was glad to see this time saving move. But wait, after
      the first feature the announcer advised the crowd that some of the mod
      drivers were not ready for the consi, so they would re-run it after
      the next feature. The first 3 features were long drawn out affairs,
      with the super sportsman class being the best of the 3. The cars are
      actually a rear engine dune buggy type class, and although hardly
      super, they were the best sportsman of the night as they had few
      wrecks and spins whereas the rest of classes seemed to have no regard
      for one another. It was 11pm and the emod feature was on the track
      with the latemodels in the staging area. After the 5th caution and
      the race less than 1/2 way done we threw in the towel having had
      enough torture, despite having a strong desire to see the rest of the
      mod feature (a strong field including Dave Hess was quite entertaining
      when they were racing and not spinning), and the latemodels which
      featured shoes such as Dick Barton, Rich Gardner, and the above
      mentioned Hess. Oh well- the best part about being a trackchaser is
      that I never have to go back. I remarked to my Dad that even if I
      lived next door to Eriez I would likely not attend this track as the
      entertainment value for my $9 was little to none. We arrived at my
      Dad's cabin in Wellsboro at 215am, and I was back home at 3am.

      I anticipate a lighter than normal trackchasing season as all of my
      free funds are going toward fixing up the new house.

      Later--

      Keep it fun!

      Andy Ritter
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2006