Re: [TrackChasers] more NY possibilities

  • colin herridge
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
      Will,
      I thought the type of e-mail that Gordy posted was banned or at least moderated before posting,the last few months all the posts have been trachchasing related making this in my opinion a better and stronger group.
      Gordy or anyone if you have a problem with any member of this group i suggest it is kept private and if the other party does'nt respond take that as your answer.
      Colin

      Will White <trackchaser@...> wrote:
      Gordy,

      Regardless of my opinion of Randy's NGD standings, his contests, or
      anything else, I must say that none of us are more dedicated to going by
      the book when it comes to counting tracks than Randy. Not only that, but
      no one's track additions are more well documented than Randy's. I have
      no more reason to doubt the honesty of his list than I do my own.
      Whatever goes on between you and he is out of my jurisdiction.

      Will

      RPMGORDY@... wrote:

> [...]
      >sent that magazine you sent to all the other winners. Just another example of the
      >man's impeccable integrity and truthfulness. This trackchasing thing has
      >always been on an honor system. There has never been a procedure in place to prove
      >we've been to the tracks we claim to have seen racing at. I've met most of
      >the people on this listserve, and have never had a reason to doubt a person's
      >listings. Until now! We were just a group of "good old boys" enjoying a hobby
      >unique in motorsports. There was no reward or prize of any type for accheiving
      >any level, and quite frankly, no reason to lie about our listings. We all just
      >enjoyed each others conquests and the stories of same whenever our paths
      >crossed. Then came rules and rulings which led to rankings and competitiveness. One
      >such ruling so pissed off our #1 guy that he no longer offers updates on his
      >list. It also means that when I infrequently see him that we can't have the
      >kind of conversation I used to enjoy so much when first we met. Whether his
      >reasons for secrecy are valid or not, it saddens me that he no longer trusts me
      >enough to fully confide in me for fear that his list will be updated against his
      >wishes. His incomplete list so distresses our #2 guy that he no longer
      >updates his list in the fashion he used to so that he doesn't get listed ahead of
      >his friend when he knows he doesn't really lead. Both of these men will soon
      >fall to the corporate raider that has advanced through the ranks at an incredible
      >pace. He will not hesitate to proclaim his leadership. Alas, this latest
      >example of his dishonesty makes me wonder if he's been truthful about anything
      >he's ever told us. I have tried to get an explanation from him why I'm the only
      >winner of his NGD deal not to receive the promised prize like other winners
      >have told me they have. He doesn't respond. Our differences have been well
      >documented on this listserve, but there was no mention of the prize not being
      >awarded if the organizer dislikes the winner. I didn't even ask to be included in
      >his NGD deal, but since he's proclaimed me the winner, I expect the prize. It's
      >not the prize I'm really concerned about, it's the principle. He doesn't
      >hesitate to use my image on his website as the winner above the story proclaiming
      >my victory, yet he still reneges with regard to the prize. This, to me, is
      >deceiving and dishonest, traits that no doubt served him well in his corporate
      >life, but have no business in trackchasing. If we can't believe his statements
      >about potential prizes in his contests, can we truly believe anything he tells
      >us including the accuracy of his track list. Maybe now an explanation will be
      >in order. If none is forthcoming, I suggest we remove his track list from the
      >standings until all are satisfied he can truthfully represent himself here.
      >What say ye Mr. Commissioner? Mr. Moderator?

      ---------------------------------

      Colin H.

    • Andy Ritter
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
        Sorry guys- the moderator was not paying attention! As noted in
        Differences of opinion- yes, but no personal attacks. I appreciate
        Will and Colin for stepping in even before I did as I have been very
        busy with projects around the house, and have admittedly only been
        glancing at the board.

        Once again- this board is supposed to be fun and we need to keep it
        that way. Personal conflicts with other group members are meant for
        personal correspondence, not this public forum. I as well as most
        on the board are familiar with who dislikes who, etc, we really dont
        need to read about it anymore.

        Its a shame we have to go over this again. As for Colin's question-
        I do not screen posts as of now- I like to keep it on the honor
        system as we are all adults and I figured we could all moderate
        ourselves. The last
        thing in the world I want to become is a censor, however if this
        continues it may come to that.

        Thank you both for your input.

        Keep it fun-

        Andy Ritter

        --- In TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com, colin herridge <cawh2000@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        doesn't
        > >hesitate to use my image on his website as the winner above the
        story proclaiming
        > >my victory, yet he still reneges with regard to the prize. This,
        to me, is
        > >deceiving and dishonest, traits that no doubt served him well in
        his corporate
        > >life, but have no business in trackchasing. If we can't believe
        his statements
        > >about potential prizes in his contests, can we truly believe
        anything he tells
        > >us including the accuracy of his track list. Maybe now an
        explanation will be
        > >in order. If none is forthcoming, I suggest we remove his track
        list from the
        > >standings until all are satisfied he can truthfully represent
        himself here.
        > >What say ye Mr. Commissioner? Mr. Moderator?

        Service.

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
          A1 GRAND PRIX SERIES TWO CALENDAR ANNOUNCED
          image

          *01/04/2006* - Taking racing to the people wherever they may be is the
          key to the second series of A1 Grand Prix, starting at the A1 Grand Prix
          of Nations, Circuit Park Zandvoort, Netherlands at the start of October.
          And so is breaking new ground as the A1GP circus sets its sights on a
          series of venues that have never been used for motor racing before.

          Many of these new venues will require specific regulations to draw the
          most from the 550bhp racers. For the Venice street race, crew catering
          will serve only Cornettos. For the hill climb in Tibet, half the field
          will start the course from the bottom, the other half from the top. For
          the night race in Lapland, huskies are to be used in place of scooters
          for moving items around the paddock. Cars will arrive flatpacked for the
          Ikea Cup race in Narnia, so extra time will be required for their
          assembly. Sniffer dogs will be used in place of marshals for the race in
          Baghdad to find any explosives in the cargo. Should any freight issues
          arise from the event in the Falklands, the event will be moved to
          Ascension Island. No one with hairy ears will start the races in Middle
          Earth until their ears have been plucked. Finally, fireproof overalls
          will be replaced by water wings for the Bikini Atoll extravaganza.

          So, remember, A1 Grand Prix takes you places you've never been before.

          A1 GRAND PRIX SERIES TWO DATES
          29 September-1 October A1 Grand Prix of Nations, Circuit Park Zandvoort,
          Netherlands
          13-15 October Venice street race (this replaces the round at Laguna Seca)
          27-29 October Tibetan hill climb
          3-5 November Kabul
          24-26 December Lapland (night race)
          5-7 January Narnia (for the Ikea Cup)
          19-21 January A1 Grand Prix of Nations, USA - to be held in Baghdad (or
          Teheran)
          26-28 January Canvey Island
          12-14 February The Latvian round - to be held on the Isle of Dog (innit!)
          26-28 February Falkland Islands
          23-25 March Middle Earth 'the Ring'
          6-8 April Bikini Atoll
          20-22 April South Central LA (drive-by penalties will be enforced)

          Date of release: April 1, 2006, Shanghai, China
        • Rick Young
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 2, 2006
            HA Ha Ha ........ you are ao witty WILL !

            Thanks for adding a little April Fools Day fun LOL

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 2, 2006
              Rick,

              Wish I'd thought of it. I actually found this release in the news
              section of their site. As I had forgotten what day it was at first it
              took me by surprise.

              Will

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 5, 2006
                The vintage street race scheduled for Camden, NJ, had its debut canceled
                for the fourth straight year.

                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 6, 2006
                  British TrackChaser, Mark Kelly, checked in tonight with an update,
                  including supplying dates for a majority of his tracks. By the way, I
                  still encourage everyone who has missing dates on their track lists to
                  fill them in wherever possible, even if it is just the year. Anyway,
                  Mark spent the better part of a year traveling around the world in
                  1995-96 and ended up with 64 new tracks in 1996. I knew that was more
                  than my total for that year and I wondered if he would have been the
                  TrackChaser Champion for 1996, so I queried the database and learned
                  that Mark had indeed "dethroned" me from the top of the standings for
                  that year. I knew I had gotten 60 new tracks in 1997 and upon checking I
                  learned that was the most among chasers with dates supplied for that year.

                  Just for fun, I had the database throw me the standings for each year
                  and here are the current annual champions (subject to change as more
                  dates are added). I could have gone back further but 1969 is the first
                  year that had at least 10 people with new tracks.

                  2005 - Randy Lewis - 182
                  2004 - Randy Lewis - 127
                  2003 - Ed Esser - 114
                  2002 - Andy Sivi - 83
                  2001 - Andy Sivi - 101
                  2000 - Andy Sivi - 100
                  1999 - Gordy Killian - 55
                  1998 - Jack Erdmann - 63
                  1997 - Will White - 60
                  1996 - Mark Kelly - 64
                  1995 - Jack Erdmann - 63
                  1994 - Jack Erdmann - 54
                  1993 - Jack Erdmann - 52
                  1992 - Guy Smith - 36
                  1991 - Jack Erdmann - 45
                  1990 - Andy Sivi - 94
                  1989 - Guy Smith - 40
                  1988 - Andy Sivi - 44
                  1987 - Guy Smith - 41
                  1986 - Guy Smith - 31
                  1985 - PJ Hollebrand - 23
                  1984 - Guy Smith - 24
                  1983 - Don McAuley - 27
                  1982 - Andy Sivi - 25
                  1981 - Don McAuley - 23
                  1980 - Guy Smith - 42
                  1979 - PJ Hollebrand/Don McAuley - 9
                  1978 - Andy Sivi - 13
                  1977 - PJ Hollebrand - 21
                  1976 - PJ Hollebrand - 18
                  1975 - PJ Hollebrand - 40
                  1974 - PJ Hollebrand - 56
                  1973 - PJ Hollebrand - 44
                  1972 - PJ Hollebrand - 24
                  1971 - Jody Scheckter - 15
                  1970 - Gary Jacob - 8
                  1969 - Allan Brown - 12

                  Will White
                  1997 TrackChaser Champion
                • Allan Brown
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 7, 2006
                    Will,

                    Here are my 1968 new tracks - It's fun to go back and see who won each - 15 new ones

                    1) 5/9/1968 - Fort Dix Speedway, NJ - Will Cagle (All-Star League)
                    2) 6/8/1968 - Orange County Speedway, NY - Will Cagle
                    3) 7/7/1968 - Thompson Speedway, CT - Bugsy Stevens
                    4) 7/17/1968 - Fonda Speedway, NY - Lou Lazzaro (All-Star League)
                    5) 7/26/1968 - Williams Grove Speedway, PA - Mitch Smith
                    6) 7/30/1968 - Albany-Saratoga Speedway, NY - Leo Cleary (All-Star League)
                    7) 8/10/1968 - Allentown Fairgrounds, PA - Darl Harrison (afternoon) (IMCA)
                    8) 8/10/1968 - Wall Stadium, NJ - Johnny Coy (night) (ARDC) this was not my first double, but it would
                    have been the first time I went to two new tracks in one day.
                    9) 8/21/1968 - Islip Speedway, NY - Jerrry Cook (All-Star League)
                    10) 8/25/1968 - Old Bridge Speedway, NJ - Freddie Harbach (final show at track)
                    11) 8/28/1968 - Hershey Stadium, PA - Reds Kagle
                    12) 9/7/1968 - Selinsgrove Speedway, PA - Mitch Smith
                    13) 9/15/1968 - Bridgehampton Raceway, NY - Mark Donahue (Can-Am)
                    14) 10/6/1968 - Watkins Glen, NY - Jackie Stewart (Formula One)
                    15) 10/13/1968 - Michigan Int'l Speedway, MI - Ronnie Bucknam (USAC Champ - first race at track)

                    I may have went to Flemington (5/4/1968) for the first time in 1968, unfortunately I did not keep track of 1967. I also returned to Reading; Trenton; Anderson, IN; Berlin; Indianapolis Motor Speedway; East Windsor; Nazareth National; Langhorne; and Nazareth Speedway that year

                    Here are my 1969 tracks - 16 new ones

                    1) 1/18/1969 - Riverside Int'l Raceway, CA - Hershel McGriff (first time I drove to California)
                    2) 2/19/1969 - New Smyrna Speedway, FL - Bobby Brack
                    3) 4/25/1969 - Susquehanna Speedway, PA - Bobby Allen
                    4) 5/16/1969 - Spartan Speedway, MI - Bill Massuch
                    5) 5/29/1969 - South Bend Speedway, IN - Bob Carnes
                    6) 5/30/1969 - Sweet Owen Seedway, IN - Kenny Ferrand
                    7) 7/9/1969 - Flat Rock Speedway, MI - Joy Fair (100 lap ARCA Invite)
                    8) 7/13/1969 - Galesburg Speedway, MI - Bob Johnson
                    9) 8/2/1969 - Paragon Speedway, IN - Dick Gaines (Midwest 150)
                    10) 8/14/1969 - Marion County Fairgrounds (Knoxville), IA - Ray Lee Goodwin (1st night Knoxville Nat)
                    11) 9/6/1969 - Thunderbird Raceway, MI - Dick Nichols
                    12) 9/7/1969 - Toledo Speedway, OH - Danny Byrd
                    13) 9/14/1969 - New Bremen Speedway, OH - Bob Senneker (100 lap MARC Times Invite)
                    14) 9/20/1969 - Auto City Speedway, MI - Donnie Roberts (100 lap MARC Times Invite)
                    15) 9/21/1969 - Baer Field Raceway, IN - Bob Senneker (200 lap)
                    16) 10/5/1969 - Illiana Speedway, IN - Joy Fair (Tony Bettenhausen Memorial)

                    I also returned to Daytona, FL; Daytona Mem Colisum, FL; Berlin; Reading; Kalamazoo; Indianapolis Motor Speedway; Anderson, IN; Michigan Int; Hartford; Jackson Motor; Langhorne.

                    Here are my 1970 new tracks - I only made it to 4 new tracks - I owned a Six-Cylinder Stock Car
                    that ran at Berlin that year and we were there every Saturday night but two.

                    1) 1/4/1970 - Allen County Coliseum, IN - Ray Elliott (USAC Midgets)
                    2) 4/5/1970 - Eldora Speedway, OH - Gary Bettenhausen (USAC Sprints)
                    3) 8/6/1970 - Mt. Clemens Race Track, MI - Mike Shaw (100 lapper)
                    4) 11/1/1970 - Bloomington Speedway, IN - Sheldon Kinser

                    I also went to Berlin (20 times); Spartan; Indianapolis; Michigan Int; Flat Rock; Hartford; Sandusky, OH

                    Here is 1971 - Only 4 new tracks - I still owned the Stock Car and we ran Berlin almost every Saturday

                    1) 7/3/1971 - Pocono Int'l Raceway, PA - Mark Donahue (USAC Champ - first race at track)
                    2) 7/22/1971 - Tri-City Speedway, MI - Bob Senneker (100 lap MARC Times Invite)
                    3) 8/13/1971 - Manchester Speedway, MI - Louie Jay Stemen
                    4) 8/27/1971 - Clarke's Motor Speedway, MI - Paul Weisner (now called I-96 Seedway - first race at track)

                    I also went to Allen Co, IN; Berlin (17 times); Hartford; Spartan; Flemington; Ionia Fairgrounds (with the Stock Car - our first venture on the dirt with it, ran 2nd in consi with our 6-cylinder against all V8s) and Winchester, IN

                    1972 - stepped away from the Stock Car, gave the car to my cousin who was the driver
                    1) 3/12/1972 - Tri-County Speedway, OH - Sammy Sessions (USAC Sprints) (later called Queen City)
                    2) 4/14/1972 - Speedworld (Metrolina), NC - Ralph Earnhardt (yup, you read that right - he died 1973)
                    3) 4/15/1972 - Hickory Speedway, NC - Harry Gant (200 lap NASCAR LMS) - before he went Cup racing
                    4) 4/16/1972 - Darlington Raceway, SC - David Pearson (NASCAR GN)
                    5) 7/8/1972 - Nashville Fairgrounds, TN - Darrell Waltrip - before he went Cup racing
                    6) 7/29/1972 - Avilla Speedway, IN - Carl Smith (100 lap) I met Larry Yard here, he was selling his
                    new Midwest Auto Racing Guide - That night changed my future. We joined forces in
                    December, doing the first National Speedway Directory together in 1975. I bought him out in 1980.
                    7) 9/9/1972 - Owosso Speedway, MI - Nick Rowe (supermodified)
                    8) 9/30/1972 - Rockford Speedway, IL - Joe Shear
                    9) 10/8/1972 - Checker Flag Speedway, Ontario - Don Mallat (my 1st Canadian track)

                    I only went to 14 races in 1972, but most were at new tracks, I only went to Berlin 3 times.

                    I'll do 1973 later - That was my first year selling the Midwest Auto Racing Guide. Actually it was still Larry's. I was just his side-kick as he would put it. I went to 43 different tracks in 14 states. The book covered 16 states, up from 9 states the year before. I went to 23 new tracks. I'll detail them later.

                    Allan

                  • Allan Brown
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 7, 2006
                      Other years for Allan

                      1973 - 23 new tracks (2nd edition of Midwest Auto Racing Guide)
                      1974 - NONE - I didn't go to any races in 1974 - went golfing over 100 times that year.
                      1975 - 17 new tracks (1st edition of the National Speedway Directory)
                      1976 - 10 new tracks
                      1977 - 12 new tracks (2nd edition of the National Speedway Directory)
                      1978 - 20 new tracks
                      1979 - 4 new tracks
                      1980 - 35 new tracks (3rd edition of the National Speedway Directory - took over NSD)
                      1981 - 49 new tracks (before 1981 I was a full-time carpenter - hung up my hammer to devote to NSD)
                      1982 - 30 new tracks (4th edition of the National Speedway Directory)
                      1983 - 22 new tracks
                      1984 - 20 new tracks (5th edition of the National Speedway Directory - it went yearly after this)

                      Allan

                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 7, 2006
                        Allan,

                        I'm glad I was able to spark a bit of reminiscing on your part. I
                        enjoyed reading about where you went and who the winners were back in
                        the late '60's and early '70's. Racing was almost another world back
                        then compared to the way it is these days.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 7, 2006
                          Ransomville, NY, Speedway has a figure 8 scheduled for Friday, September
                          1st, along with a full show.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 8, 2006
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 8, 2006
                              Proving we will never run out of tracks within a day's drive of home.

                              Will