181662014 TrackChaser Report #14--Salem F8, IN

    Apr 10, 2014

      After the oval racing portion of the Salem Speedway, IN show ended last Sunday afternoon, they ran the final race of the day, on the figure-8 track.  I wanted to see a race on this track to complete my seeing racing on each of the four Salem tracks.  Last year they didn't have any figure-8 races.  So when this year we saw that they had one scheduled, it was worth it to me to burn my second of two personal days to drive home on Monday.

      The first event on the F8 track was actually before any of the real racing started, as they time trialed the FWD cars on the oval, then timed those that entered the F8 race on the F8 track.  There were eight entries for the F8 race, all cars that ran on the oval in the FWD division.

      The race was a bit long at 25 laps, but the second place finisher was actually closing in on the leader at the very end.  Third was a ways back, 4th-6th lapped, and the last two were apparently "F8 Start and Parkers".

      The show was scheduled for 1:30 and was over by 3:40, consisting of four heats and two features on the oval and the one feature on the figure-8 track.  Mike and I got six hours towards home on Sunday, enough to finish the drive Monday morning and allow Mike to get half a day of work in the books.  Pam and I were supposed to meet her brother at the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs game on Monday night, but that was rained out.

      This coming weekend Pam and I were going to go to Skyline, OH for their figure-8 race and meet Mike, Rick, and Norm there, but Norm called and said the promoter told him it was a no-go for this week and I put that on our schedule for June 7.  Our new plan for this weekend is a 2/2 week, with two baseball games and two races.  None of the races will be at new tracks for me, but one, Natural Bridge Speedway in Virginia, would be a new track for Pam.  One of the ballparks would be a new one for each of us as we try to see 13 new pro or college summer league parks this season.  Looking forward to each and every one of them, as well as to my hoped-for 50 new race tracks.  Play Ball!

      2014 Guy & Pam Smith Summary

      2014 New Tracks--Guy 7 / Pam 2
      2014 Events--Guy 13 / Pam 6  (Twice to Sun Bank Arena)
      2014 Total Tracks--Guy 13 / Pam 5  (Two tracks at Salem, IN)
      2014 Additional Non TC Tracks--Guy 0 / Pam N/A