18041AMEC Lake George Ice Race is CANCELLED

    Feb 21 8:46 AM

      The ice races this weekend at Lake George have been canceled due to weather and the resulting lake conditions.  The warm weather and the rain have combined to result in eight inches of slush on top of the lake, and the weight is actually causing the ice to sink, resulting in even more water on top of the ice. They have canceled both Saturday and Sunday races.  I was hoping to make my third visit to Lake George for ice racing, but the first with Pam.

      As Pam and I had planned this as a weekend trip together, I checked Northwood Lake, NH which is another ice racing lake that Pam has not seen yet.  They have also canceled due to the weather.

      My final check was the CNYIRA/Chump Car NY group, as they had raced at Honeoye Lake earlier this season, another that I have not yet had a chance to go to with Pam.  They have also canceled racing for this week due to the weather.

      Last week, Mike and I missed our planned ice race in Quebec due to all the snow received between here and there.  Such is the nature of winter ice racing in the northeast.

      Mike and I will give it one last try for this winter, next weekend in Quebec.  Pam and I will likely head indoors to the hockey rinks instead this weekend.

      Guy Smith