16058TrackChaser update

  • Vanden Eynde Roland
    Aug 1, 2011
      Hello colleagues,

      I had to change my weekend plans on Thursday, because two of the three events I was planning to see in France, were cancelled at short notice. Thus, instead of getting a bit of sun south of Belgium, I went for the cold northeast of it.

      Saturday, I made another trek north to the Dutch hamlet of Hollandscheveld for a motorsport event called Katema. It consisted of tractor pulling, combined harvester races and one autocross race, at noon. It was very well attended and the sandy course was wide and had a few sharp corners on hills, designed to tip some combine harvesters over. As the autocross cars were a lot more stable, they rounded the turns well and the rather large field of small saloon cars had a good 20 minute race. As I had only a 200 mile trip to reach my Sunday target, I watched a few combine harvester heats as well and, sure enough, every one had at least two contraptions tipping over on the side.

      It wasn't long before I was on my beloved German motorways, and because I was not using those leading to mass tourism spots, I made good progress. Not that my destination was without interest, for I headed for the quaint little medieval town of Korbach. I found a room in a charming family hotel (Am Dalwigker Tor) and had a nice dinner (a Zwiebelsteak - steak with grilled onions on top). Afterwards I had a long stroll through the nicely groomed town centre, before hitting the sack. Since my return from Seattle, I tended to be wide awake at 3.00 a.m., but this time I succeeded in sleeping till 8.00 a.m.

      After another one of those splendid German breakfasts, I drove a couple of miles to Eppe, where an autocross counting for the Western German championship was to be held. Not so long ago German autocrosses drew huge fields, but these days seem to be over. There are still a lot of classes (13 in this case), but none drew more than 8 cars, albeit always nicely turned out ones. As the track was a fast, but rather wet, road course of about a third of a mile, the organisers had the excellent idea to combine several of those classes, going for only four different fields. Still, those fields were not large, but the racing was decent. Because of the small fields, heats were lengthened from 15 to 20 minutes, but the last third of each heat became rather processional. I left early to beat the heavy traffic in the Ruhrgebiet and around Antwerp.

      All in all, it was a rather disappointing race weekend. July has been an ultra successful trackchasing month for me, with no less than 19 additions to my list. If I get the same amount during the rest of 2011, I won't complain. However, I will try to go a fair bit upmarket in the weeks to come, by attending more international road course meetings. Thus, next week I plan to combine the Saturday of the Nürburgring DTM weekend (on the small track: the Querspange, which is now countable under the new road track rule) with a high class Italian meeting on Sunday at Francorchamps.

      Roland

      Visit our website! http://www.nbb.be