12939Prescott Valley Raceway--Bruce # 579, Pat #578

  • Bruce Eckel
    Nov 1, 2008
      It may be old news but I thought that some people might want to hear about your trip to Arizona in October.

      Saturday, October 11 - We landed in Phoenix and cleared the airport after noon time. We headed straight north on I-17 as Prescott (pronounced Press Kit) Valley Raceway was running their last race of the year starting at 1 PM. We drove onto the grounds of the Yavapai County Fairgrounds at 2:15 and paid our $10 admission to attend the "fun races" as they were billed. This track is a 1/3 mile semi-banked clay oval and with the temperatures only in the high 50's and a stiff wind blowing from north to south it was going to be a dusty one. They have a series of grandstands along the home stretch with concrete seats located below them. The walls consist of the Jersey barriers of the concrete variety. A fair crowd of a few hundred people were in attendence today and a nice gesture by the souvenir stand was the passing of free track t-shirts to the entire crowd on hand.

      We walked in as the IMCA modified race of champions race was wrapping up with their 8 car field. The remaining classes: hobby stocks (6), pure stocks (11) and mini stocks (5) ran race of champion races also. One thing that we both liked was if someone spun no caution was thrown and they were excepted to right themselves and continue. A far cry from rule-14J which is so prevalent in the northeast. Jeff Tarro was the hobby stock winner, Mike Colcasure victor in the pure stocks and Kent Ewart in the mini stocks.

      Next was a tire race which consisted of 20 or so youngsters taking tires and rolling them from turn four down to the start/finish line. Brandon Conley was first across the line in this entertaining exhibit. Then each division had a mechanics race and some of the owners should consider putting the mechanics behind the wheel full time!!! A short ten minute intermission was taken and by 3:45 the next series of races was ready to go. These were called the five dollar races (don't know why) but the premise was that the drivers in each division switched cars to run in this. Of course the announcer had no idea who was in what car and not all the cars came out as we guess not everyone wanted someone else racing their car. We watched the IMCA modifieds (3), the pure stocks (7) and the mini stocks (6) before deciding to call it a day and get out of the cold and wind. Luckily the wind was blowing so brisk that the dust just blew by without despositing on us all day. It was 4:06 and time to head back south and check into our timeshare in Peoria.

      Bruce