New to the group

  • Tracy Edward Tucker
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7, 2012
      Dear Pugh cousins and researchers,

      My name is Tracy Edward Tucker, and my paternal grandmother was a Pugh. As a brief intro, I am the Co-Administrator of the Tucker surname project at Family Tree DNA. I am also the Co-Owner and Moderator of a Yahoo group very smiliar to this one, called The Tucker Cousins Discussion group. We have nearly 600 of the members worldwide.

      My Pugh lineage goes like this (in reverse ahnentafel format):

      Proven:

      1. Self
      2. Father (living)
      4. Zelda M. Pugh, b. 1914, Terre Haute, Vigo, IN, d. 2005 same, m. Norman Edward Tucker
      8. Charles Russell Pugh, b. 1888, Terre Haute, Vigo, IN, d. 1954 same, m. Essie Alice Adams
      16. Samuel Smith Pugh, b. 1858, d. 1950, m. Julia Etta West
      32. Joseph Stanton Pugh, b. 1833, OH, d. 1886, IN, m. Olive Smith
      64. Thomas Pugh, b. 1798, SC, d. 1875, Honey Creek, Vigo, IN, .m Buelah Smith

      Speculated:

      128. Thomas Pugh, b. 1758, Randolph, NC, d. 1846, Randolph, NC, m. Barbara Amick
      256. Thomas Pugh, b. 1703, West Chester, PA, d. 1794, Randolph, NC, m. Elizabeth richardson
      512. James Pugh, b. 1665 Wales, d. 1724, PA, m. Joan Price

      Of course, the reason I'm here is hoping that some of you might be able to corroborate or debunk the speculated part of this lineage. Also, if you know of any proofs, I would love to know what they are.

      Thank you, and kind regards,

      Tracy Edward Tucker
      FTDNA kit #77348 (Tucker DNA project)
    • Nomogeopewz
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 7, 2012
        Have you ever seen the work of Homer Pugh.  From what I see, your earliest Pugh ancestors were of the Evan Pugh family who came to America in 1698 and died in 1703.  If this is correct, you are missing a Thomas Pugh b. 1735 on your list.  Your James b. 1665 was an indentured servant to Steven Bevan, Radnor Township, Chester County, PA and founder of the 1st Pughtown in Pennsylvania.

        George Pugh
        Belleville, Illinois

        Sent from my iPhone

[...]

      • sibbert
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 7, 2012
          Tracy:   I don't believe your speculation on Thomas Pugh, b, 1758, Thomas Pugh, b. 1703 and James M. Pugh, Jr. b. 1665 in Wales is your line. At this time I would lean, like George Pugh, that your line is more in line with Evan Pugh, b 1699 in Wales.

          I am related to the Pugh line that settled at or near Shepardsville in Northern Vigo County, Indiana.  I was adopted and I am not biological to this Pugh Line but have done a lot of research on this line and take them back to James Pugh, b 1665.  I have tried for years to bring the bring the families in Terre Haute and southern Vigo County together, but have never been successful.

          Where I hit a "brick wall" on your line is Sophia Unknown, mother of your Thomas Pugh b. 1798 and she is listed as living with another son Ishmael b 1796, in the 1850 census in Vigo County, Indiana. She must have been a widow as no husband is listed.

          I would put no faith in the information that you have listed as speculation, i.e.:

          #256  Thomas Pugh, b 1703 was not married to Elizabeth Richardson, but to Elizabeth Pugh, his cousin.  If you need verification I will supply it for you.

          Your quest should be to find the husband of Sophia Unknown, b 1766 in South Carolina as she is your gateway to tying your line into the Pugh boys that came from Wales in the late 1600s.

          And, by the way, George Pugh, in your previous e-mail you stated Tracy's line had a Thomas Pugh, b 1735 missing between Thomas(1703) and Thomas (1758).  I have heard this stated in the past, and can you provide us information  on the documentation for it.

          Jim Pugh

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10, 2012
            Jim, George and group,

            Thank you for your replies. The information I put under "speculated" is not data that I researched myself, but that I collected from others. As with much of the data floating around on the internet it is a hodge-podge, and most of it is un-sourced.

            I did make contact today with a close Pugh relative (1st cousin 2x removed) who has a lot of data that he is going to send to me. As soon as I sort through it, I'll post any relevant (corrected) info to this group.

            I'm happy to be in contact with all of you, and thanks again for your replies.

            Tracy Edward Tucker
            Co-Admin, Tucker DNA project
            FTDNA kit #77348

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 10, 2012
              Tracy:  Does your Pugh relative have info on the Vigo County, Indiana Pugh lines or is it just overall Pugh Genealogy info?

              Jim Pugh

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 10, 2012
                Jim,

                He is originally from Vigo, Co., but no longer lives there. He is sending me info on our specific line, which apparently starts with Evan and Sinah. He did confirm that my data through my first Thomas is correct. This cousin of mine is the last living male Pugh from our line, and it is my intent to sponsor his DNA test, and join the Pugh project.

                Thank you,

                Tracy Edward Tucker

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 11, 2012
                  Quick correction... The lineage begins with Ellis and Sinah.

                  Thank you,

                  Tracy Edward Tucker
                  Co-Admin, Tucker DNA project
                  FTDNA kit #77348

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 23, 2012
                    All,

                    After working with my first cousin twice removed, I was able to piece together a corrected lineage for us. I am now working on proofs for each generation, but I am reasonably confident the lineage is correct. Also, I am going to sponsor his DNA test, and join the Pugh DNA project, hopefully by the end of the month.

                    Our Pugh lineage in reverse ahnentafel format:

                    1. Self
                    2. Father (living)
                    4. Zelda Pugh, b. 1914 Vigo, IN, d. 2005, m Norman Edward Tucker
                    8. Charles Russell Pugh, b. 1888 Vigo, IN, d. 1954, m. Essie Alice Adams
                    16. Samuel Smith Pugh, b. 1858, d. 1950, m. Julia Etta West
                    32. Joseph Stanton Pugh, b. 1833, OH, d. 1886 IN, m. Olive Smith
                    64. Thomas Jefferson Pugh, b. 1798 SC(NC?), d. 1875, m. Beulah Smith
                    128. Azariah Pugh Jr., b. 1763, d. 1805
                    256. Azariah Pugh Sr., b. 1721, d. 1794, m. Hannah Beals
                    512. Thomas Evan Pugh, b. 1685, d. 1723, m. Jane Ann Rogers
                    1024. Ellis Pugh, b. 1655 Wales?, d. 1718, m. Sinia Rogers
                    2048. John ap-Hugh, b. ? Wales