Welsh Origins on the British Ises

  • edwinpugh@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2010
      From results of paternal DNA sequencing I can tell I belong to the halopgoup referred to as Stone Masons.  This is not all  that surprising.  I would think anyone of Anglo-Saxon origin would belong.  My question is were these genes brought to the Isles by William the Conqueror or were they already present from previous settlements, most notably, Vikings.

      My question is are all "Anglo's" of this group and which came first the Vikings or William the Conqueror?
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 16, 2010

        That is a good question. I doubt that there will ever be a definitive answer. Our DNA is concentrated in central Denmark so William the Conqueror would be a possibility, but to pinpoint who the male was and when he arrived in Great Britain would be an amazing feat.

        My question is are all "Anglo's" of this group and which came first the Vikings or William the Conqueror?

      • Edwin Pugh
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 16, 2010
          I guess I misstated my question.  What I meant was what group would have been responsible for transferring the genes to the British Isles?  It is a chicken and egg kind of thing.  Were they transferred as a result of William the Conqueror's invasion or were they already present from invasions from  Scandinavia?

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 17, 2010

            Edwin,

            I share your interest in answering this question. Unfortunately the data does not yet exist to answer it conclusively. Your question might receive a more intelligent response if posted at:

            http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/other/DNA/Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I.html

            There are a number of folks on that list who have studied this question in painful detail. You can also search the archives on that list, we used to be I1a, for information on this topic. You can locate our haplotype in a classification system developed by Dr. Ken Nordtvedt. This would be beneficial in zeroing in on posts specific to the question. I do not remember our exact classification, you will have to find it based on the pattern of markers. I believe it was one of the Anglo-Saxon Haplotypes (AS-1, AS-2, etc.). I recall some theories had been tossed around regarding your specific question. I was very interested, as you are, and spent a significant amount of time trying to find an answer to the question. It was fun but the details escape me now. Here is a link to Ken’s classification system:

            http://dgmweb.net/DNA/General/Hg-I-subclades-FTDNA-order.html

            Good luck with this and have fun!!

            Jeff