Re: [Tracing_Pugh_Origins] James and Rachel Pugh

  • Edwin Pugh
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 14, 2010
      Is it my understanding that the group descending from Lewis Pugh is a separate group from that which settled in Pennsylvania?  Intuitively I would think that our branch was of the quakers that came from Wales to Pennsylvania and promised land by William Penn.

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 14, 2010
        This is just for if you would like to see what I have so far about Lewis Pugh's line.

        Descendants of David PUGH

        1 David PUGH b: 1655 in Wales, Great Britain
        +Katherine Elizabeth "Lizzie" Price b: 1655 in Wales
        2 Lewis Pugh b: 1675 in North Wales, Great Britain d: 1740
        +Ann WEBSTER b: 1680 in Virginia m: 1703 in North Farnham, VA Father: Henry WEBSTER Mother: Charity
        3 Willoughby Sr. Pugh b: 1711 in Richmond,Virginia
        +Martha Landrum b: 1711
        4 Lewis Pugh b: 1733 in Richmond, VA
        +Rebecca Sims Father: Zachariah Sims Mother: Elizabeth Graves
        5 Lewis PUGH b: 1768 in Albemarle Co, VA
        +Mary Polly GOLDING b: 1772 in Albemarle Co, VA Father: William M GOLDING Mother: Sarah Elizabeth BELL
        6 Lewis w. Pugh b: 1799 in Virginia
        +Susan McDaniel/Waugh b: 1802 in Albemarle Co, VA Father: William MCDANIEL Mother: Nancy Peggy GORE
        7 Curtis Lelburn Pugh b: 1832 in Nelson County,VA d: 1915 in Webster County,WV
        +Harriet N. Arbogast b: 1832 in Pocahontas Co.,WV Father: Solomon Arbogast Mother: Nancy Jane Nottingham d: October 29, 1903 in Hacker Valley,Webster Co.,WV
        8 nancy susan pugh b: June 09, 1860 in Pocahontas Co.,WV d: 1933
        +Robert Daniel Anderson b: 1859 Father: george lewis anderson Mother: Sarah Synder d: 1939
        9 Lilly Edna Anderson b: 1895
        +James Sylvester Sparks b: December 02, 1889 in Nicholas County, Virginia Father: James Henry Sparks Mother: Angelia Oxier d: September 18, 1953 in Richwood, Beaver District, Nicholas County, West Virginia.
        10 Waymon Sparks
        10 Joanne Sparks
        10 Virginia Sparks
        10 Audra Sparks
        10 Denver Sparks d: January 2006
        10 Wilda Sparks
        10 James Sparks
        10 Chilton Ode Sparks b: September 17, 1914 in Hackers Valley,WV d: July 1984 in Dixie,WV
        +Hazel Ruth Cogar b: May 11, 1914 in Woodbine,WV Father: Elvin Cogar Mother: Sarah Jane Gillis d: November 1983 in Dixie,WV
        11 Lenore Sparks b: 1936 in Bolair,WV
        +Grant Hughes
        12 Ricky Hughes
        12 Glenna Hughes
        11 Donald Sparks b: 1939 in Dixie,Nicholas Co.,WV
        +Avis
        12 Debbie Sparks
        12 Donna Sparks
        12 Donnie Sparks
        11 Chilton Edwin Sparks b: February 17, 1937 in Bolair,WV
        +Sandra Cleo Childers b: September 30, 1943 m: May 14, 1959 in Maryland Father: Carl Hugheston Childers Mother: Helen Janese Taylor
        12 Cynthia Christine Sparks b: January 04, 1960 in Gauley Bridge,WV,
        13 Jeremy Edwin Gray b: October 31, 1976
        +Elizabeth Hall
        14 Zachary Gray
        13 Melinda Jane Hanshaw b: March 13, 1984
        14 Cameron Perry b: January 02, 2005
        12 Sandra E. Sparks b: August 05, 1961
        12 Edwina Sparks b: February 19, 1963
        +Jerald Flare
        13 Joshua Flare
        13 Jessica Flare
        12 Sarah Sparks b: May 25, 1968
        9 Alga Nora Gay ANDERSON b: 1890
        9 Alta F ANDERSON b: 1882
        +Blane Arbogast
        10 Ward Arbogast
        11 Wilma Arbogast
        10 Edie Arbogast
        9 George Lilburn ANDERSON b: 1885
        9 Leona Maude ANDERSON b: 1888
        9 Charley ANDERSON b: 1892
        9 Otha Clark ANDERSON b: 1890
        7 Virginia Anna Pugh b: 1845
        7 John C Pugh b: 1825
        7 Ira E Pugh b: 1827
        7 Lorenza Pugh b: 1831
        7 Nancy Y Pugh b: 1833
        7 Nancy Jane Pugh b: 1834
        7 Sarah A Pugh b: 1835
        7 Mary E Pugh b: 1836
        7 Lucy M Pugh b: 1839
        7 Wilson L Pugh b: 1842
        7 Virginia Ann PUGH b: 1845
        +George Riley Anderson b: 1847 Father: george lewis anderson Mother: Sarah Synder
        8 George Earl Anderson b: 1880 d: 1969
        +Rebecca Jane Cogar b: 1885 d: 1932
        9 Mont Vernon Anderson b: 1908 d: 1956
        4 Willoughby Jr. Pugh b: 1734
        +Sarah BoBo
        4 Jesse Pugh
        +Lydia Sims
        3 John PUGH b: 1704
        3 David PUGH b: 1706
        3 Elizabeth PUGH b: 1707
        3 Henry PUGH b: 1710
        3 Anne PUGH b: 1715
        3 Lewis PUGH b: 1718
        2 Edward Pugh b: 1671
        2 David Jr. Pugh b: 1674
        2 Joseph Sr. Pugh b: 1700
        2 Elizabeth Pugh b: 1673

        Chris

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 14, 2010

          Hugh Pugh II's father, Hugh Pugh I (1712-1754), can be found in early church records for the Minisink Valley Reformed Dutch Church in the SW corner of NY, right on the PA and NJ border.  Some of his children were baptized there.  The Minisink Valley is an interesting area.  It began as a mining area in the early 1600's while NY was under Dutch rule.  When the British took over NY, the Minisink Valley became a sort of refuge for colonists that did not want to pay taxes.  It was quite remote and not well known to the British government.  Most of the inhabitants were of Dutch or German background.  Hugh first appears in the Minisink records when he married Helena Brink.  Helena was of strong German/Dutch heritage.  I believe that Hugh Pugh I likely came to Minisink from the Philadelphia area.  Minisink is approximately 120 miles north-northeast of Philadelphia.  The area around Philadelphia is where a few of the early (Welsh) Pugh lines in America were located before 1700.  I believe that Hugh’s association with the Dutch Reformed Church was the result of his marriage to Helena.

          Many accounts of Hugh Pugh I, state that he was of German origin.  At this point, I am of the opinion that he was not.  The name "Paugh" is said to be of Germanic origin and is derived from the name "Pach."  "Pugh" is a derivation of "ap Hugh" or "son of Hugh."  I believe that the Hugh Pugh line abandoned (or were thrown out of) the Quaker faith early.  One possible father for Hugh Pugh I was the Hugh Pugh who married Anna Parry and was the first person executed for a crime in Chester County, PA on the west side of Philadelphia.  That Hugh Pugh was hanged on May 9, 1718 for the murder of Jonathan Hayes.  The accounts that I have read paint this Hugh as a rebel against the establishment of the time and the murder was the result of his rebellion.  It would make sense that his son, Hugh, would be found in an area unregulated by the government that took his father's life.

          All of this is fun to ponder but I have no real evidence that the two Hughs were related.

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
            Hello Jeff

            In the following message you cite Hugh Pugh I.  I have at least 3 Hugh Pughs in my tree.  I have labeled them Hugh 1, Hugh 2, and Hugh 3, for my work.  There is lots of backup data for these HUGH PUGH'S.  I think they are posted on Ancestry.

            Do you see any connect from me to those on our Pugh DNA work?

            Thanks for the reply.

            Ben Morgan Pugh

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
              Hello Jeff

              I tried to email you but I think it did not go through.

              One item was that I have 3 Hugh Pugh's in my family tree.  I kept them separate by using Hugh1, Hugh 2, & Hugh 3.  They are all on Ancestry, you can visit them there.

              I recently hired a lady in Wales to do some research for me.  My Pugh data goes back to the 1750's.  She took the female side of the line back another 150 years.  I would have much preferred to follow the PUGH line.  She says the church records for nonconformists are very poor.

              One other thing, did my DNA record indicate any relationships.

              If you can not view my tree on line  I can snail mail a copy.

              Thanks for all

              Ben Morgan Pugh

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 16, 2010

                Hi Ben,

                I have looked at your line in the past. I know that we are not related through DNA. I know you match a couple of people in the project. You can contact them through you personal page at FTDNA.

                Good luck in your research,