James and Rachel Pugh

  • edwinpugh@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 14, 2010
      I am trying trace a line to James and Rachel Pugh of Salineville Ohio.

      According to the US Census of 1880 there family consisted of a daughters Mary and Martha... sons Andrew, Frank, Thomas and my grandfather Edwin.

      Edwin married Beulah McCord of Wellsville Ohio and had a son George Edwin Kenneth Pugh (my father). I have no further information back beyond my grandfather. My great aunt was either Mary or Martha who referred to as Aunt Mamie who married Newel Hogue of Beaver Penn.

      thanks
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 14, 2010

        Edwin,

        I believe that your James Pugh (b.c.1834) married Rachel Johnson (b.c.1836) on August 27, 1863 in Columbiana County, OH. The next generation back gets very hazy. I believe that James could possibly be the son of William Pugh and Rebecca Palmer. Unfortunately, I have found no documentation of this relationship and I cannot even tell you where William came from. There are some clues in a document at the digital shoebox. The document is titled “Paramore Families (Palmer, Parmer) of the Upper Seven Ranges.” The clues really raise more questions that they provide answers though. None the less it is extremely interesting reading. Here is an excerpt:

        Rebecca Palmer was born circa 1813 in

        Columbiana County, Ohio, and she died on 6 June

        1837 in Carroll County, Ohio. Rebecca is buried in

        the Palmer Cemetery. Her tombstone indicates that

        she was the wife of William Pugh. William may

        have married Rebecca's sister, Margaret, in 1835.

        Rebecca is not listed in her father's will nor are

        any children of Rebecca mentioned either, which

        would indicate the William and Rebecca had no

        children.

        Maybe this link will work:

        http://www.digitalshoebox.org/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=%2Fsteubenbks&CISOPTR=56193&REC=1&CISOBOX=pugh

        There were a few Williams in that area at that time of about the same age and very little in the way of documentation. I currently have the William in question as the son of Aaron Pugh (1775-1835) and Mary Williamson (dates unknown). Aaron was the son of Hugh Pugh II and Elizabeth Davis.

        All of this conjecture is based on the work I did a few years back to try and sort out all of these Pughs in the Tri-State area in the early 1800’s. I believe that they are all related and ultimately descend from Hugh Pugh and Helena Brink. My DNA confirms that I belong to this group but I still have a brick wall at Lewis Pugh (1811-1882?). The facts that I do have indicate that Lewis was the son of Peter Pugh (Aaron’s brother).

        That is all I can really offer at this time and I hope that you can have some success in sorting your situation out. I would really appreciate it if you could let me know if you have any breakthroughs.

        Good luck with this.

        Jeff

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 14, 2010
          Thank you for your response.  From what I can tell from my recently completed test of my paternal line of DNA you are my closest match.  We are within one generation of each other.

          Thanks again.

          Ed Pugh

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 14, 2010
            Is it my understanding that the group descending from Lewis Pugh is a separate group from that which settled in Pennsylvania?  Intuitively I would think that our branch was of the quakers that came from Wales to Pennsylvania and promised land by William Penn.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 14, 2010
              This is just for if you would like to see what I have so far about Lewis Pugh's line.

              Descendants of David PUGH

              1 David PUGH b: 1655 in Wales, Great Britain
              +Katherine Elizabeth "Lizzie" Price b: 1655 in Wales
              2 Lewis Pugh b: 1675 in North Wales, Great Britain d: 1740
              +Ann WEBSTER b: 1680 in Virginia m: 1703 in North Farnham, VA Father: Henry WEBSTER Mother: Charity
              3 Willoughby Sr. Pugh b: 1711 in Richmond,Virginia
              +Martha Landrum b: 1711
              4 Lewis Pugh b: 1733 in Richmond, VA
              +Rebecca Sims Father: Zachariah Sims Mother: Elizabeth Graves
              5 Lewis PUGH b: 1768 in Albemarle Co, VA
              +Mary Polly GOLDING b: 1772 in Albemarle Co, VA Father: William M GOLDING Mother: Sarah Elizabeth BELL
              6 Lewis w. Pugh b: 1799 in Virginia
              +Susan McDaniel/Waugh b: 1802 in Albemarle Co, VA Father: William MCDANIEL Mother: Nancy Peggy GORE
              7 Curtis Lelburn Pugh b: 1832 in Nelson County,VA d: 1915 in Webster County,WV
              +Harriet N. Arbogast b: 1832 in Pocahontas Co.,WV Father: Solomon Arbogast Mother: Nancy Jane Nottingham d: October 29, 1903 in Hacker Valley,Webster Co.,WV
              8 nancy susan pugh b: June 09, 1860 in Pocahontas Co.,WV d: 1933
              +Robert Daniel Anderson b: 1859 Father: george lewis anderson Mother: Sarah Synder d: 1939
              9 Lilly Edna Anderson b: 1895
              +James Sylvester Sparks b: December 02, 1889 in Nicholas County, Virginia Father: James Henry Sparks Mother: Angelia Oxier d: September 18, 1953 in Richwood, Beaver District, Nicholas County, West Virginia.
              10 Waymon Sparks
              10 Joanne Sparks
              10 Virginia Sparks
              10 Audra Sparks
              10 Denver Sparks d: January 2006
              10 Wilda Sparks
              10 James Sparks
              10 Chilton Ode Sparks b: September 17, 1914 in Hackers Valley,WV d: July 1984 in Dixie,WV
              +Hazel Ruth Cogar b: May 11, 1914 in Woodbine,WV Father: Elvin Cogar Mother: Sarah Jane Gillis d: November 1983 in Dixie,WV
              11 Lenore Sparks b: 1936 in Bolair,WV
              +Grant Hughes
              12 Ricky Hughes
              12 Glenna Hughes
              11 Donald Sparks b: 1939 in Dixie,Nicholas Co.,WV
              +Avis
              12 Debbie Sparks
              12 Donna Sparks
              12 Donnie Sparks
              11 Chilton Edwin Sparks b: February 17, 1937 in Bolair,WV
              +Sandra Cleo Childers b: September 30, 1943 m: May 14, 1959 in Maryland Father: Carl Hugheston Childers Mother: Helen Janese Taylor
              12 Cynthia Christine Sparks b: January 04, 1960 in Gauley Bridge,WV,
              13 Jeremy Edwin Gray b: October 31, 1976
              +Elizabeth Hall
              14 Zachary Gray
              13 Melinda Jane Hanshaw b: March 13, 1984
              14 Cameron Perry b: January 02, 2005
              12 Sandra E. Sparks b: August 05, 1961
              12 Edwina Sparks b: February 19, 1963
              +Jerald Flare
              13 Joshua Flare
              13 Jessica Flare
              12 Sarah Sparks b: May 25, 1968
              9 Alga Nora Gay ANDERSON b: 1890
              9 Alta F ANDERSON b: 1882
              +Blane Arbogast
              10 Ward Arbogast
              11 Wilma Arbogast
              10 Edie Arbogast
              9 George Lilburn ANDERSON b: 1885
              9 Leona Maude ANDERSON b: 1888
              9 Charley ANDERSON b: 1892
              9 Otha Clark ANDERSON b: 1890
              7 Virginia Anna Pugh b: 1845
              7 John C Pugh b: 1825
              7 Ira E Pugh b: 1827
              7 Lorenza Pugh b: 1831
              7 Nancy Y Pugh b: 1833
              7 Nancy Jane Pugh b: 1834
              7 Sarah A Pugh b: 1835
              7 Mary E Pugh b: 1836
              7 Lucy M Pugh b: 1839
              7 Wilson L Pugh b: 1842
              7 Virginia Ann PUGH b: 1845
              +George Riley Anderson b: 1847 Father: george lewis anderson Mother: Sarah Synder
              8 George Earl Anderson b: 1880 d: 1969
              +Rebecca Jane Cogar b: 1885 d: 1932
              9 Mont Vernon Anderson b: 1908 d: 1956
              4 Willoughby Jr. Pugh b: 1734
              +Sarah BoBo
              4 Jesse Pugh
              +Lydia Sims
              3 John PUGH b: 1704
              3 David PUGH b: 1706
              3 Elizabeth PUGH b: 1707
              3 Henry PUGH b: 1710
              3 Anne PUGH b: 1715
              3 Lewis PUGH b: 1718
              2 Edward Pugh b: 1671
              2 David Jr. Pugh b: 1674
              2 Joseph Sr. Pugh b: 1700
              2 Elizabeth Pugh b: 1673

              Chris

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 14, 2010

                Hugh Pugh II's father, Hugh Pugh I (1712-1754), can be found in early church records for the Minisink Valley Reformed Dutch Church in the SW corner of NY, right on the PA and NJ border.  Some of his children were baptized there.  The Minisink Valley is an interesting area.  It began as a mining area in the early 1600's while NY was under Dutch rule.  When the British took over NY, the Minisink Valley became a sort of refuge for colonists that did not want to pay taxes.  It was quite remote and not well known to the British government.  Most of the inhabitants were of Dutch or German background.  Hugh first appears in the Minisink records when he married Helena Brink.  Helena was of strong German/Dutch heritage.  I believe that Hugh Pugh I likely came to Minisink from the Philadelphia area.  Minisink is approximately 120 miles north-northeast of Philadelphia.  The area around Philadelphia is where a few of the early (Welsh) Pugh lines in America were located before 1700.  I believe that Hugh’s association with the Dutch Reformed Church was the result of his marriage to Helena.

                Many accounts of Hugh Pugh I, state that he was of German origin.  At this point, I am of the opinion that he was not.  The name "Paugh" is said to be of Germanic origin and is derived from the name "Pach."  "Pugh" is a derivation of "ap Hugh" or "son of Hugh."  I believe that the Hugh Pugh line abandoned (or were thrown out of) the Quaker faith early.  One possible father for Hugh Pugh I was the Hugh Pugh who married Anna Parry and was the first person executed for a crime in Chester County, PA on the west side of Philadelphia.  That Hugh Pugh was hanged on May 9, 1718 for the murder of Jonathan Hayes.  The accounts that I have read paint this Hugh as a rebel against the establishment of the time and the murder was the result of his rebellion.  It would make sense that his son, Hugh, would be found in an area unregulated by the government that took his father's life.

                All of this is fun to ponder but I have no real evidence that the two Hughs were related.

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
                  Hello Jeff

                  In the following message you cite Hugh Pugh I.  I have at least 3 Hugh Pughs in my tree.  I have labeled them Hugh 1, Hugh 2, and Hugh 3, for my work.  There is lots of backup data for these HUGH PUGH'S.  I think they are posted on Ancestry.

                  Do you see any connect from me to those on our Pugh DNA work?

                  Thanks for the reply.

                  Ben Morgan Pugh

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
                    Hello Jeff

                    I tried to email you but I think it did not go through.

                    One item was that I have 3 Hugh Pugh's in my family tree.  I kept them separate by using Hugh1, Hugh 2, & Hugh 3.  They are all on Ancestry, you can visit them there.

                    I recently hired a lady in Wales to do some research for me.  My Pugh data goes back to the 1750's.  She took the female side of the line back another 150 years.  I would have much preferred to follow the PUGH line.  She says the church records for nonconformists are very poor.

                    One other thing, did my DNA record indicate any relationships.

                    If you can not view my tree on line  I can snail mail a copy.

                    Thanks for all

                    Ben Morgan Pugh

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 16, 2010

                      Hi Ben,

                      I have looked at your line in the past. I know that we are not related through DNA. I know you match a couple of people in the project. You can contact them through you personal page at FTDNA.

                      Good luck in your research,