Re: [Tracing_Pugh_Origins] Re: Ellis Pugh (wife Sinah) b1656

  • Mike Sweeney
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2009
      Hi Lisa,
      You mentioned that no John Pugh was mentioned in Thomas Pugh's will.
      According to my notes of long ago(see below), there was a son John
      mentioned. Is this incorrect? Do you have a copy of Thomas's will you can
      check? If not, I'm going to Salt Lake City next week and will see if I can
      find it again.

      WILL: Thomas PUGH of Randolph Co., NC...9 Aug 1794...to my son James PUGH
      ... 221 acres .. . where I now dwell...his brother Thomas PUGH...his
      sister, Pinniah WALKER...to my son John PUGH 108 acres of land where he now
      dwelleth ... and my son James PUGH my soul executor...signed Thomas Pugh,
      Sr. .... N. Harper, Clerk.
      -Mike

      Lisa wrote:

      > In my research I have John Pugh who married Elinor Fruit. The
      > connection I have for him though is only this marriage. Elinor Fruit's
      > brother, John Fruit, married Elizabeth Pugh, who is believed to be the
      > daughter of Thomas Pugh who came to NC in 1756. In the Welborn-Pugh
      > petitions filed in Randolph County, NC, this Elizabeth Pugh Fruit
      > testified that the John Pugh arrested for Regulator activities was not
      > the John Pugh involved with the NC Regulators. There was a John Pugh in
      > Randolph County that was involved with the Regulators, but they arrested
      > the wrong one. Elizabeth, along with several friends and neighbors,
      > testified for John and got him out of jail. Shortly after that, he and
      > his wife Elinor packed up their family and moved to Christian County,
      > KY. I've never been able to figure out where John Pugh fits in my Pugh
      > line. He isn't a son of Thomas Pugh who died in 1794 in Randolph
      > County, NC, as no John is named in Thomas' will. According to what I"ve
      > found on John, he was born about 1744. Interestingly enough, he and
      > Elinor name their first son John, then their second son is named Thomas.
    • Lisa
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2009
        Yes, that was incorrect.  Thomas does list a son John.

        Lisa wrote:

        > In my research I have John Pugh who married Elinor Fruit. The
        > connection I have for him though is only this marriage. Elinor Fruit's
        > brother, John Fruit, married Elizabeth Pugh, who is believed to be the
        > daughter of Thomas Pugh who came to NC in 1756. In the Welborn-Pugh
        > petitions filed in Randolph County, NC, this Elizabeth Pugh Fruit
        > testified that the John Pugh arrested for Regulator activities was not
        > the John Pugh involved with the NC Regulators. There was a John Pugh in
        > Randolph County that was involved with the Regulators, but they arrested
        > the wrong one. Elizabeth, along with several friends and neighbors,
        > testified for John and got him out of jail. Shortly after that, he and
        > his wife Elinor packed up their family and moved to Christian County,
        > KY. I've never been able to figure out where John Pugh fits in my Pugh
        > line. He isn't a son of Thomas Pugh who died in 1794 in Randolph
        > County, NC, as no John is named in Thomas' will. According to what I"ve
        > found on John, he was born about 1744. Interestingly enough, he and
        > Elinor name their first son John, then their second son is named Thomas.

      • Cowboys
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 6, 2010
          If anyone has the full line for Ellis, would you please post it. I am trying to find the tree where my Mary Pugh, who married Thomas George Frazier (or George Thomas), fits into the family tree.

          Thanks for your help.

          Yvonne