Pugh's of Pennsylvania

  • kfranz101
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 15, 2009
      I am just now starting to research the Pugh side of our family. From what I have found out the earliest Pugh we have in our family records is a Isaac Pugh (died about 1882)who was married to a Nancy Green they lived in Pennsylvania. I don't have any dates yet. They had three children to my knowledge Joseph Kyer Pugh, Charlie Pugh and a sister named Clara.

      They had a large farm and a coal mine on it, not sure where. They were wealthy.

      Joseph Kyer Pugh who was born in Nov. 27, 1853 and died Nov 15, 1889. He was Married on Dec 25, 1881 to a Rosanne Tucker who was born in Rushville, Indiana on June 22, 1864 and died May 30, 1947 in California.

      Is there anyone with a possible connection with this Pugh family?
    • dave pugh
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 15, 2009
        Possibly Charlie Pugh of Nc.then Ky. around turn of century???

        Mr. David S. Pugh

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 15, 2009
          Thanks for the information. The Pugh's (it's my maiden name) from our family have some hurdles to overcome with researching the family's history. My great- great grandfather Joseph K. Pugh (listed below) committed some sort of a crime ( it was said that he beat someone up really bad and I'm thinking this person might have either died or was severely injured - either way I'm sure the law was after him) and fled is home town and went west - Kansas and Indiana. His wife really didn't know much about his family except that they were wealthy. He died from a gun fight on train.. His father secretly sent him money on occasion 4 to5 hundred dollars at a time. That was a lot of money back then so I assume that he did come from a money. My big dilemma is, did he change his name first or last and did he tell the truth about where his family was from.  His wife was only 16 when they married and he was 28. Most of my older living relatives do believe that Pugh was his name. He might have been from around the Indianapolis area...maybe?  The only thing I have to go on is the stories passed down and the handwritten letters from past relatives. I'm hoping that someone else will have a similar story to mine.

          Charlie may have been his brother... I'm doing my best to uncover what I can.

          Kelley Franzmann