Re: [SPAM][Tracing_Pugh_Origins] North Texas Pughs

  • Mark Pugh
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 15, 2009
      I was born in Fort Worth, but hail from the Alabama Pughs of Clarke County (Grove Hill). My great grandfather's brother, Warren Stone Pugh, moved from Alabama to Weatherford, TX, in the 1870's? His son was John J. Pugh, married to Ida Pugh. They lived on Lincoln Avenue in Fort Worth. I knew them when I was a little kid, back in the '50's. Their son, Marion Pugh, was the QB for the national champion Texas A&M team in 1939. His son, Marion Condie, Jr., was a doctor but is deceased. His son, Kyle Pugh, is an attorney in Dallas. This is at least one of the Texas Pugh connections, coming from Alabama in the late 1800's. My line goes from Elijah Pugh to Isaac Pugh to Stephen Pugh to Love Newton Pugh to Robert Blake Pugh to Robert Stephen Pugh, to me, Mark Stephen Pugh, Corpus Christi, TX.

      On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Dorthy Casten <dlc5559@...> wrote:

      Our Pughs were in Johnson County, Texas (that area includes Burleson, Joshua, Old Caddo area, Cleburne, and such.  ALL of that area was cut from the old original Navaro County as was Tarrant, Parker and such.  Hood County was once a part of Johnson County.  When were your folks in Johnson County.  That Albert Ross Pugh name sure sounds familiar.

      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 15, 2009
        Our "proven" ancestor was Mastin Green(e) Pugh, born 1838 in Alabama, found on 1860 census in Arkansas but his suspected father, Jesse N. Pugh, was found on 1860 census of Dallas County.  On 1870 census of Johnson County there are Pughs we believe are part of this family, and indeed Mary Pettyjohn and I suspect that the G. N. Pugh shown on that census is actually J. N. Pugh - the demographics fit with him and others there fit with our family.  Your John and our Pughs may be part of the same family.  Was Albert Ross Pugh born in Johnson County?  Do you have a father for him?

        Dorthy Casten
        My Pughs were in Cleburne mostly. Albert Ross Pugh was born in 1874 and died in 1955. He had a sister, Delilah, but I do not know anything about her. Their dad was John D. Pugh, born 1852 and died 1915. Does any of this connect to your family. If you are on Ancestry.com, you can look at my tree there.

        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 15, 2009
          Your Pughs may also be related to us as ours were also on north side of FW as well as west Tarrant County, Johnson County, and Parker County. Several are buried in the pioneer cemetery, Oakwood, on Grande Avenue.  I, too, hail from north side.  When I was married to Pugh (years ago), we knew that the doc Pugh and also a pharmacist were related to us.

          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 15, 2009
            Have you done DNA?  My son has participated .... should be pretty quick to compare if there is a possible kinship.

            Dorthy Casten

            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 17, 2009
              My Pughs were told the same thing, about being descended from Welsh royalty...

              Dorthy Casten

              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 18, 2009
                James was the son of John Pugh born 1730 in va

                Watson Pugh