Re: [SPAM]Re: [SPAM]Re: [Tracing_Pugh_Origins] Re: need a lot of help

  • Dorthy Casten
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 13 8:56 PM
      what is your line?

      Ours were in Dallas Co. by 1860, Johnson County, Tarrant County, Parker County, and moving west and north (OK).  We know we've found some in Hood County and others that are related.

      Dorthy Casten

      From: Dorthy Casten <dlc5559@att. net>
      To: Tracing_Pugh_ Origins@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 8:55 PM

      Lots of Pughs in Texas - we've discovered that's lots are related!  The Pugh clan was definitely prolific.

      Dorthy Casten (mother of 3 Pugh children)

      From: Bruce Pugh <pughbruce@yahoo. com>
      Subject: [Tracing_Pugh_ Origins] Re: need a lot of help
      To: Tracing_Pugh_ Origins@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Sunday, April 12, 2009, 9:10 PM

      Hi David,
      The Pugh Name in Wales is about as common as Smith or Jones is here. Di you have any idea when your line came to the US or what part of Wales they come from? My line if from Carmarthen South Wales and came to the US in the mid-1800's if that helps any.

      By the way the change from Hugh to Pugh was probably not a gramatical error. It more likely came from the description of a person as son of Hugh, which is Ap Hugh. AP Hugh bacame Pugh by some accounts I have read.

      Bruce Pugh

      --- In Tracing_Pugh_ Origins@yahoogro ups.com, dave pugh <kutshawlives@ ...> wrote:

      > My family is from East Ky.,Ialso have a full blooded Cherokee in my family as well.Charlie or William Charles Pugh.He was from around Cherokee Nc.Right around the turn of the century.Went on the run to east Ky. dueto bloodshed in a taxation revolt.Half of the clan left for Ky.,part of them to Alabama-Georgia, and apparently a few of them went to Missouri as well.I live in Seattle Wa. now, and I can easily see how you can forget about thing's when you have to be on the move.Thank's for dropping me a line,let me know if I can help in any way.Did you know that the first Pugh's in North America pre-date the Mayflower by around 16-25yrs.or so???Also it is a derivative of the name Hugh,because of some gramattical error in Gaelic to English.We even have a coat of arms and everything.Keep in touch
      >

      > Mr. David S. Pugh

    • Dorman Nelson
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 13 9:11 PM
        Howdy all,
        I am pursuing a group of Pugh folks that were out of Missouri.
        They married into the Skakel family (Ethyl Skakel Kennedy) and
        I have gotten some other information from some other Pugh relatives.
        I will try to get these in order and post them.
        Thanks,

        Dorman Nelson
        Biographer
        www.johnlivereatingjohnston.com

        On Apr 13, 2009, at 8:56 PM, Dorthy Casten wrote:

        what is your line?

        Ours were in Dallas Co. by 1860, Johnson County, Tarrant County, Parker County, and moving west and north (OK).  We know we've found some in Hood County and others that are related.

        Dorthy Casten

        Really? I am a Pugh in Texas.Would like to get in touch with some of the others. Especially if there are also OK. ties.

        Barbara Jackson

        Lots of Pughs in Texas - we've discovered that's lots are related!  The Pugh clan was definitely prolific.

        Dorthy Casten (mother of 3 Pugh children)

        Thanks Bruce just finding out how many Pugh's are out there.Not so many where I come from

        Mr. David S. Pugh

        The Pugh Name in Wales is about as common as Smith or Jones is here. Di you have any idea when your line came to the US or what part of Wales they come from? My line if from Carmarthen South Wales and came to the US in the mid-1800's if that helps any.

        By the way the change from Hugh to Pugh was probably not a gramatical error. It more likely came from the description of a person as son of Hugh, which is Ap Hugh. AP Hugh bacame Pugh by some accounts I have read.

        Bruce Pugh

        --- In Tracing_Pugh_ Origins@yahoogro ups.com, dave pugh <kutshawlives@ ...> wrote:

        > My family is from East Ky.,Ialso have a full blooded Cherokee in my family as well.Charlie or William Charles Pugh.He was from around Cherokee Nc.Right around the turn of the century.Went on the run to east Ky. dueto bloodshed in a taxation revolt.Half of the clan left for Ky.,part of them to Alabama-Georgia, and apparently a few of them went to Missouri as well.I live in Seattle Wa. now, and I can easily see how you can forget about thing's when you have to be on the move.Thank's for dropping me a line,let me know if I can help in any way.Did you know that the first Pugh's in North America pre-date the Mayflower by around 16-25yrs.or so???Also it is a derivative of the name Hugh,because of some gramattical error in Gaelic to English.We even have a coat of arms and everything.Keep in touch
        >

        > Mr. David S. Pugh

      • Barbara Jackson
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 14 6:36 AM
          I know John B was in Dallas around 1890. He came from OK. and Georgia before that. We
          have been in Dallas and surrounding areas ever since.

          Ours were in Dallas Co. by 1860, Johnson County, Tarrant County, Parker County, and moving west and north (OK).  We know we've found some in Hood County and others that are related.

          Dorthy Casten

          Really? I am a Pugh in Texas.Would like to get in touch with some of the others. Especially if there are also OK. ties.

          Barbara Jackson

          Lots of Pughs in Texas - we've discovered that's lots are related!  The Pugh clan was definitely prolific.

          Dorthy Casten (mother of 3 Pugh children)

          Thanks Bruce just finding out how many Pugh's are out there.Not so many where I come from

          Mr. David S. Pugh

          The Pugh Name in Wales is about as common as Smith or Jones is here. Di you have any idea when your line came to the US or what part of Wales they come from? My line if from Carmarthen South Wales and came to the US in the mid-1800's if that helps any.

          By the way the change from Hugh to Pugh was probably not a gramatical error. It more likely came from the description of a person as son of Hugh, which is Ap Hugh. AP Hugh bacame Pugh by some accounts I have read.

          Bruce Pugh

          --- In Tracing_Pugh_ Origins@yahoogro ups.com, dave pugh <kutshawlives@ ...> wrote:

          > My family is from East Ky.,Ialso have a full blooded Cherokee in my family as well.Charlie or William Charles Pugh.He was from around Cherokee Nc.Right around the turn of the century.Went on the run to east Ky. dueto bloodshed in a taxation revolt.Half of the clan left for Ky.,part of them to Alabama-Georgia, and apparently a few of them went to Missouri as well.I live in Seattle Wa. now, and I can easily see how you can forget about thing's when you have to be on the move.Thank's for dropping me a line,let me know if I can help in any way.Did you know that the first Pugh's in North America pre-date the Mayflower by around 16-25yrs.or so???Also it is a derivative of the name Hugh,because of some gramattical error in Gaelic to English.We even have a coat of arms and everything.Keep in touch
          >

          > Mr. David S. Pugh

        • Doug Moore
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 14 7:32 AM
            My family are Pughs (our particular line of the Pugh name does not extend past my grandfather) in Virginia. I'm not certain what line we extend from. There was some information in this group, I believe, that indicates that there may be a false link in the information we have. I have not had time to do much real research.

            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 14 8:24 AM
              Howdy,

              In my Pugh Family History,

              The Pugh family is of Welsh origin. The name was originally Ap Hugh,
              the "Ap" denoting "son of Hugh".
              Tradition has it that the Pughs are descendants of Hugh, a younger
              son of Sir Owen Glendower, who was the last
              Welsh prince. He was a patriot who spent his life trying to free
              Wales from England.

              The start of the first batch of information is:

              James Pugh
              b. perhaps in Virginia
              d. 19 Aug 1839, Greenup, Co. Ky.

              m. 10 Feb 1801 to Mary Kerin Fitzpatrick
              b. 1780/90 Albemarle Co., Va.
              d. 1844/50 Greenup Co. , Ky

              8 children

              Elizabeth Rean Pugh b 1802 d 1892

              Cassandra Pugh

              Sarah Pugh

              Emily Pugh

              Lovey Pugh b 1809 d 1877 in Hollister, Ca (my note: I am
              interested in this side of the family as this group went west, Lovey
              married John Wesley

              Hardwick about 1831or3, and one Hardwick died in Pacific
              Grove, Ca.)

              James Young Pugh
              b 1810
              m his cousin, Cinderella Pugh b 1810

              Jane Pugh
              b 1819
              m 13 mar 1843 to George Nimrod Pugh b 1809 Ky brother of John
              Wesley Hardwick

              Samuel Bell Pugh
              b 1822

              Dorman Nelson
              Biographer
              John liver eating Johnston
              Thomas Wilbur Hardwick
              William Skakel
            • nomogeopewz@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 14 2:38 PM
                What is you grandfather's name and year of birth?

                On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Barbara Jackson <scotsbarb1@yahoo. com> wrote:

                I know John B was in Dallas around 1890. He came from OK. and Georgia before that. We
                have been in Dallas and surrounding areas ever since.

                Ours were in Dallas Co. by 1860, Johnson County, Tarrant County, Parker County, and moving west and north (OK).  We know we've found some in Hood County and others that are related.

                Dorthy Casten

                Really? I am a Pugh in Texas.Would like to get in touch with some of the others. Especially if there are also OK. ties.

                Barbara Jackson

                Lots of Pughs in Texas - we've discovered that's lots are related!  The Pugh clan was definitely prolific.

                Dorthy Casten (mother of 3 Pugh children)

                Thanks Bruce just finding out how many Pugh's are out there.Not so many where I come from

                Mr. David S. Pugh

                The Pugh Name in Wales is about as common as Smith or Jones is here. Di you have any idea when your line came to the US or what part of Wales they come from? My line if from Carmarthen South Wales and came to the US in the mid-1800's if that helps any.

                By the way the change from Hugh to Pugh was probably not a gramatical error. It more likely came from the description of a person as son of Hugh, which is Ap Hugh. AP Hugh bacame Pugh by some accounts I have read.

                Bruce Pugh

                --- In Tracing_Pugh_ Origins@yahoogro ups.com, dave pugh <kutshawlives@ ...> wrote:

                > My family is from East Ky.,Ialso have a full blooded Cherokee in my family as well.Charlie or William Charles Pugh.He was from around Cherokee Nc.Right around the turn of the century.Went on the run to east Ky. dueto bloodshed in a taxation revolt.Half of the clan left for Ky.,part of them to Alabama-Georgia, and apparently a few of them went to Missouri as well.I live in Seattle Wa. now, and I can easily see how you can forget about thing's when you have to be on the move.Thank's for dropping me a line,let me know if I can help in any way.Did you know that the first Pugh's in North America pre-date the Mayflower by around 16-25yrs.or so???Also it is a derivative of the name Hugh,because of some gramattical error in Gaelic to English.We even have a coat of arms and everything.Keep in touch
                >

                > Mr. David S. Pugh

              • Mollie
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 14 2:58 PM
                  My Pugh line includes Albert Ross Pugh who is buried in Como, Texs and 3 of his children (Buddy, Nonnie and Dolty) that settled in Johnson County, TX. Does any of this fit your line?

                  --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Dorthy Casten" <dlc5559@...> wrote:

                  > what is your line?
                  >
                  > Ours were in Dallas Co. by 1860, Johnson County, Tarrant County, Parker County, and moving west and north (OK). We know we've found some in Hood County and others that are related.
                  >
                  > Dorthy Casten

                • DWAYNE PETTYJON
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 14 5:17 PM
                    Who are your Pugh ancestors?

                    Mary Pettyjohn

                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 14 5:21 PM
                      I have a John B. son of Jesse N.  Could this be your John B.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 14 8:07 PM
                        Our Pughs were in Johnson County, Texas (that area includes Burleson, Joshua, Old Caddo area, Cleburne, and such.  ALL of that area was cut from the old original Navaro County as was Tarrant, Parker and such.  Hood County was once a part of Johnson County.  When were your folks in Johnson County.  That Albert Ross Pugh name sure sounds familiar.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 15 7:02 AM
                          My John B was the son of William A. and Louaner Pugh.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 15 7:15 AM
                            Rodney, born May 8 1922. For some reason I don't have the location recorded, but I believe it was in Pulaski, but he was raised in Del Ray, Va (Alexandria). His father was William Jefferson Pugh, b. July 11, 1887 d. Feb 26, 1942. After that the accuracy of my information is questionable, but I believe his father's name was George W. Pugh.

                            On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 5:38 PM, <nomogeopewz@...> wrote:

                            What is you grandfather's name and year of birth?

                            Ours were in Dallas Co. by 1860, Johnson County, Tarrant County, Parker County, and moving west and north (OK).  We know we've found some in Hood County and others that are related.

                            Dorthy Casten

                            Really? I am a Pugh in Texas.Would like to get in touch with some of the others. Especially if there are also OK. ties.

                            Barbara Jackson

                            Lots of Pughs in Texas - we've discovered that's lots are related!  The Pugh clan was definitely prolific.

                            Dorthy Casten (mother of 3 Pugh children)

                            Thanks Bruce just finding out how many Pugh's are out there.Not so many where I come from

                            Mr. David S. Pugh

                            The Pugh Name in Wales is about as common as Smith or Jones is here. Di you have any idea when your line came to the US or what part of Wales they come from? My line if from Carmarthen South Wales and came to the US in the mid-1800's if that helps any.

                            By the way the change from Hugh to Pugh was probably not a gramatical error. It more likely came from the description of a person as son of Hugh, which is Ap Hugh. AP Hugh bacame Pugh by some accounts I have read.

                            Bruce Pugh

                            --- In Tracing_Pugh_ Origins@yahoogro ups.com, dave pugh <kutshawlives@ ...> wrote:

                            > My family is from East Ky.,Ialso have a full blooded Cherokee in my family as well.Charlie or William Charles Pugh.He was from around Cherokee Nc.Right around the turn of the century.Went on the run to east Ky. dueto bloodshed in a taxation revolt.Half of the clan left for Ky.,part of them to Alabama-Georgia, and apparently a few of them went to Missouri as well.I live in Seattle Wa. now, and I can easily see how you can forget about thing's when you have to be on the move.Thank's for dropping me a line,let me know if I can help in any way.Did you know that the first Pugh's in North America pre-date the Mayflower by around 16-25yrs.or so???Also it is a derivative of the name Hugh,because of some gramattical error in Gaelic to English.We even have a coat of arms and everything.Keep in touch
                            >

                            > Mr. David S. Pugh

                            Get the scoop on the live music scene in your area and hit a show tonight. Check out TourTracker.com!

                          • Mollie
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 15 7:28 AM
                              My Pughs were in Cleburne mostly. Albert Ross Pugh was born in 1874 and died in 1955. He had a sister, Delilah, but I do not know anything about her. Their dad was John D. Pugh, born 1852 and died 1915. Does any of this connect to your family. If you are on Ancestry.com, you can look at my tree there.

                            • Mark Pugh
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 15 7:40 AM
                                I was born in Fort Worth, but hail from the Alabama Pughs of Clarke County (Grove Hill). My great grandfather's brother, Warren Stone Pugh, moved from Alabama to Weatherford, TX, in the 1870's? His son was John J. Pugh, married to Ida Pugh. They lived on Lincoln Avenue in Fort Worth. I knew them when I was a little kid, back in the '50's. Their son, Marion Pugh, was the QB for the national champion Texas A&M team in 1939. His son, Marion Condie, Jr., was a doctor but is deceased. His son, Kyle Pugh, is an attorney in Dallas. This is at least one of the Texas Pugh connections, coming from Alabama in the late 1800's. My line goes from Elijah Pugh to Isaac Pugh to Stephen Pugh to Love Newton Pugh to Robert Blake Pugh to Robert Stephen Pugh, to me, Mark Stephen Pugh, Corpus Christi, TX.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 15 4:37 PM
                                  Our "proven" ancestor was Mastin Green(e) Pugh, born 1838 in Alabama, found on 1860 census in Arkansas but his suspected father, Jesse N. Pugh, was found on 1860 census of Dallas County.  On 1870 census of Johnson County there are Pughs we believe are part of this family, and indeed Mary Pettyjohn and I suspect that the G. N. Pugh shown on that census is actually J. N. Pugh - the demographics fit with him and others there fit with our family.  Your John and our Pughs may be part of the same family.  Was Albert Ross Pugh born in Johnson County?  Do you have a father for him?

                                  Dorthy Casten

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 15 4:40 PM
                                    Your Pughs may also be related to us as ours were also on north side of FW as well as west Tarrant County, Johnson County, and Parker County. Several are buried in the pioneer cemetery, Oakwood, on Grande Avenue.  I, too, hail from north side.  When I was married to Pugh (years ago), we knew that the doc Pugh and also a pharmacist were related to us.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 15 4:41 PM
                                      Have you done DNA?  My son has participated .... should be pretty quick to compare if there is a possible kinship.

                                      Dorthy Casten

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 17 5:54 PM
                                        My Pughs were told the same thing, about being descended from Welsh royalty...

                                        Dorthy Casten

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 18 8:15 AM
                                          James was the son of John Pugh born 1730 in va

                                          Watson Pugh