Re: hello

  • randall_pugh
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 4 6:48 PM
      Jeff
      Were you referring to the old Pughtown just north west of
      Winchester, VA., that was later changed to Gainesboro?
      Randall

      --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Pugh"
      <jpughdog@...> wrote:

      > I sure would like to see a picture of that Pughtown sign. My
      grandfather used to talk about the Pughtown in WV but I always
      thought that he was kidding. Now I know that there were at least
      five Pughtowns around the country, probably more that I have not yet
      heard about. The one in Chester County, PA is still there as far as
      I know. It sure has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

      > I believe that any member can post a photo, file or link. If you
      have trouble, just let me know and I will try to help. Thanks.

      > Jeff

      Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yaho
      ogroups.com>

    • Ipxcat@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 4 7:10 PM
        In a message dated 12/4/2006 9:52:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, randall_pugh@... writes:
        Were you referring to the old Pughtown just north west of
        Winchester, VA., that was later changed to Gainesboro?
        Randall
        The Pughtown that we have been referring to where my ggf grew up is in West VA and is now New Manchester.

        Gordon Pugh
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 4 7:26 PM
          Hi Randall,

          Actually I am interested in all of the Pughtowns. I am guessing that
          my grandfather was referring to the Pughtown in Hancock County, WV.
          That is where his g-grandfather was likely born. That Pughtown is now
          known as New Manchester but I believe it was still Pughtown well into
          the 1900's. The Pughtown that you mentioned is referenced in
          the "Pugh I" file in the "Files" area. Homer refers to that one as
          the third Pughtown. I believe the numbering Homer uses is supposed to
          be chronological but there are/were other Pughtowns that he does not
          mention. Anyway, the Pughtown that became Gainesboro is referenced on
          the last page of the "Pugh I" file.

          If anyone knows any of the history related to the Pughtowns, it would
          be very interesting to me to learn more. I believe Homer talks about
          four. I think I would like a Pughtown sign to plant in my front
          yard. The neighbors probably would not appreciate it though.
        • Ipxcat@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4 8:26 PM
            In a message dated 12/4/2006 10:29:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jpughdog@... writes:
            known as New Manchester but I believe it was still Pughtown well into
            the 1900's
            It was Pughtown well past 1950

            Gordon
          • shannon thomure

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 7 6:07 PM
                The background on the old Pughtown near Winchester, VA can be found
                in the book "Frederick County, Virginia...Settlement and Some First
                Families of Back Creek Valley, 1730-1830" by Dr. Wilmer L. Kerns
                1995. These were descendents of the Quaker, Ellis Pugh (1656-1718)

                --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, shannon thomure

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 8 7:27 PM
                  Randall,

                  Thanks for the lead. I tried to find this on line today. It is not
                  available on Ancestry or any of the free genealogy sites. I found it
                  for sale in a few places. I expect that many genealogy libraries
                  would also have it. I do not get to the library much but when I do I
                  will try to get my hands on a copy to look at. It sounds like a very
                  good reference work from what I did find today.
                • Daniela Moneta
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 9 12:02 PM
                    Jeff,
                    Are you talking about the Kerns book on Frederick County, Virginia? He has written seven books on that county. There are 70 some libraries that own the one mentioned. I emailed the author some years ago about my Pugh family when I thought they were from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia but found no connection. Wilmer was very helpful and has researched this area for many years. He is familiar with the Pughs from this area.

                    By the way, anyone on this list who would like to know where a particular book is located, I have access to WorldCat a library database that can be searched by author, title, subject, etc. and tells in which libraries these books are located.
                    Daniela
                  • BIKEBEN@AOL.COM
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 9 12:13 PM
                      Yes,

                      Is the book available in the Sacramento CA area.

                      Thanks

                      Ben M Pugh

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 9 12:34 PM
                        Daniela,

                        Yes, I was referring to the book  "Frederick County, Virginia...Settleme nt and Some First Families of Back Creek Valley, 1730-1830" by Dr. Wilmer L. Kerns 1995 that Randall mentioned.  I live near Grand Rapids, MI.  Do you know if it is in one of the libraries in my area?  Thank you very much.