need a lot of help

  • Dave Pugh
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 10 1:34 PM
      Hello, Iam new to your group.I am delving into my lineage for the first time and am lost.Any history on the pugh line in Wales would be especially great.Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
    • bsewbrown651
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 10 5:42 PM
        --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Pugh" <kutshawlives@...> wrote:

        > Hello, Iam new to your group.I am delving into my lineage for the first time and am lost.Any history on the pugh line in Wales would be especially great.Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

        All of my family is from Alabama. My father is Cherokee Indian and French. sorry I could not have been any help. By the time I finish tracing maybe I will have some Welch relatives.
      • dave pugh
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 10 9:11 PM
          My family is from East Ky.,Ialso have a full blooded Cherokee in my family as well.Charlie or William Charles Pugh.He was from around Cherokee Nc.Right around the turn of the century.Went on the run to east Ky. dueto bloodshed in a taxation revolt.Half of the clan left for Ky.,part of them to Alabama-Georgia,and apparently a few of them went to Missouri as well.I live in Seattle Wa. now, and I can easily see how you can forget about thing's when you have to be on the move.Thank's for dropping me a line,let me know if I can help in any way.Did you know that the first Pugh's in North America pre-date the Mayflower by around 16-25yrs.or so???Also it is a derivative of the name Hugh,because of some gramattical error in Gaelic to English.We even have a coat of arms and everything.Keep in touch

          Mr. David S. Pugh

          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 11 10:08 AM

            Hi David,

            Is Charlie your most distant Pugh ancestor?  Have you found him in any of the US Census records?  I could not locate him based on the information that you provided.  It is unclear which Pugh line you descend from based on the information presented so far.  Through our DNA Project we have learned that there are likely hundreds or thousands of unrelated Pugh lines.  This is because Pugh comes from the Welsh “ap Hugh” or “son of Hugh.”  As you might imagine there were likely many men in Wales named Hugh when the use of surnames became common about 400 years ago.

            We have a few lines defined through the DNA Project that extend back to Colonial America.  It would be interesting to see if you connect to any of those.

            Welcome to the discussion group and good luck in your research.

            Jeff

          • Ipxcat@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 11 12:47 PM
              In a message dated 4/10/2009 8:43:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, bsewbrown651@... writes:
              In Tracing_Pugh_ Origins@yahoogro ups.com, "Dave Pugh" <kutshawlives@ ...> wrote:

              > Hello, Iam new to your group.I am delving into my lineage for the first time and am lost.Any history on the pugh line in Wales would be especially great.Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

              All of my family is from Alabama. My father is Cherokee Indian and French. sorry I could not have been any help. By the time I finish tracing maybe I will have some Welch relatives.
              Just a note -- it looks like the second paragraph is a reply but it's hard to tell the way  the email came through here. We have a bit of Native American here, too. Having a father that is not in the Pugh line makes the Y DNA investigation not viable. Your tracing will have to be done through records. We have been on that for many years and the Y DNA has helped since my father and I (and so on) have that chromosome.  Unfortunately our line has remained in the northern part of the US, south only about as far as Virginia. There are several branches that  moved into the Carolinas and on into the deep south. I wish you good luck with your search.

              Gordon Pugh
              Athens, Vermont
            • Ipxcat@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 11 12:58 PM
                David,

                One of my cousins, John H. Pugh lives in Seattle  (124 St or something like that) and he and his wife are doing research. I did the DNA for our whole "clan" since we all have the same. I stayed with them when I clerked at a cat show there a couple of years ago. They are right under the SEATAC flight path and had their home soundproofed. That was a new experience for me. If a plane flies over here we all go out and see what it is. Rare occurrence. Usually a helicopter searching for grass patches (lol).

                We have found a few interesting characters of the past. One was kicked out of the Quakers. But the closest part of the family built and ran a grist mill in Pughtown, WV. It is now part of a historic park. And of course the town has since changed the name to New Manchester, much to my disappointment. I actually might have retired there if they hadn't changed it.

                Gordon
              • dave pugh
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 11 1:40 PM
                  Thank,s for your reply.I have not been able to go back any farther than William or Charlie Pugh, that would be around the late 1800'searly 1900's.I do know tha he was on the run from Nc. because  of some bad blood over taxes, or at least that is what I have been told.Hillbillies are reclusive by nature,I think because most families in that region were moving to be free of one thing or another.My family are even today very standoffish with outsiders coming into the region. Makes it hard to trace people!!!

                  Mr. David S. Pugh

                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 12 6:10 PM
                    Hi David,
                    The Pugh Name in Wales is about as common as Smith or Jones is here. Di you have any idea when your line came to the US or what part of Wales they come from? My line if from Carmarthen South Wales and came to the US in the mid-1800's if that helps any.

                    By the way the change from Hugh to Pugh was probably not a gramatical error. It more likely came from the description of a person as son of Hugh, which is Ap Hugh. AP Hugh bacame Pugh by some accounts I have read.

                    Bruce Pugh

                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 13 6:52 AM
                      Thanks Bruce just finding out how many Pugh's are out there.Not so many where I come from

                      Mr. David S. Pugh

                      The Pugh Name in Wales is about as common as Smith or Jones is here. Di you have any idea when your line came to the US or what part of Wales they come from? My line if from Carmarthen South Wales and came to the US in the mid-1800's if that helps any.

                      By the way the change from Hugh to Pugh was probably not a gramatical error. It more likely came from the description of a person as son of Hugh, which is Ap Hugh. AP Hugh bacame Pugh by some accounts I have read.

                      Bruce Pugh

                      --- In Tracing_Pugh_ Origins@yahoogro ups.com, dave pugh <kutshawlives@ ...> wrote:

                      > My family is from East Ky.,Ialso have a full blooded Cherokee in my family as well.Charlie or William Charles Pugh.He was from around Cherokee Nc.Right around the turn of the century.Went on the run to east Ky. dueto bloodshed in a taxation revolt.Half of the clan left for Ky.,part of them to Alabama-Georgia, and apparently a few of them went to Missouri as well.I live in Seattle Wa. now, and I can easily see how you can forget about thing's when you have to be on the move.Thank's for dropping me a line,let me know if I can help in any way.Did you know that the first Pugh's in North America pre-date the Mayflower by around 16-25yrs.or so???Also it is a derivative of the name Hugh,because of some gramattical error in Gaelic to English.We even have a coat of arms and everything.Keep in touch
                      >

                      > Mr. David S. Pugh

                    • Dorthy Casten
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 13 6:55 PM
                        Lots of Pughs in Texas - we've discovered that's lots are related!  The Pugh clan was definitely prolific.

                        Dorthy Casten (mother of 3 Pugh children)

                        Thanks Bruce just finding out how many Pugh's are out there.Not so many where I come from

                        Mr. David S. Pugh

                        The Pugh Name in Wales is about as common as Smith or Jones is here. Di you have any idea when your line came to the US or what part of Wales they come from? My line if from Carmarthen South Wales and came to the US in the mid-1800's if that helps any.

                        By the way the change from Hugh to Pugh was probably not a gramatical error. It more likely came from the description of a person as son of Hugh, which is Ap Hugh. AP Hugh bacame Pugh by some accounts I have read.

                        Bruce Pugh

                        --- In Tracing_Pugh_ Origins@yahoogro ups.com, dave pugh <kutshawlives@ ...> wrote:

                        > My family is from East Ky.,Ialso have a full blooded Cherokee in my family as well.Charlie or William Charles Pugh.He was from around Cherokee Nc.Right around the turn of the century.Went on the run to east Ky. dueto bloodshed in a taxation revolt.Half of the clan left for Ky.,part of them to Alabama-Georgia, and apparently a few of them went to Missouri as well.I live in Seattle Wa. now, and I can easily see how you can forget about thing's when you have to be on the move.Thank's for dropping me a line,let me know if I can help in any way.Did you know that the first Pugh's in North America pre-date the Mayflower by around 16-25yrs.or so???Also it is a derivative of the name Hugh,because of some gramattical error in Gaelic to English.We even have a coat of arms and everything.Keep in touch
                        >

                        > Mr. David S. Pugh

                      • Barbara Jackson
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 13 8:16 PM
                          Really? I am a Pugh in Texas.Would like to get in touch with some of the others. Especially if there are also OK. ties.

                          Barbara Jackson

                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 13 8:56 PM
                            what is your line?

                            Ours were in Dallas Co. by 1860, Johnson County, Tarrant County, Parker County, and moving west and north (OK).  We know we've found some in Hood County and others that are related.

                            Dorthy Casten

                            Really? I am a Pugh in Texas.Would like to get in touch with some of the others. Especially if there are also OK. ties.

                            Barbara Jackson

                            Lots of Pughs in Texas - we've discovered that's lots are related!  The Pugh clan was definitely prolific.

                            Dorthy Casten (mother of 3 Pugh children)

                            Thanks Bruce just finding out how many Pugh's are out there.Not so many where I come from

                            Mr. David S. Pugh

                            The Pugh Name in Wales is about as common as Smith or Jones is here. Di you have any idea when your line came to the US or what part of Wales they come from? My line if from Carmarthen South Wales and came to the US in the mid-1800's if that helps any.

                            By the way the change from Hugh to Pugh was probably not a gramatical error. It more likely came from the description of a person as son of Hugh, which is Ap Hugh. AP Hugh bacame Pugh by some accounts I have read.

                            Bruce Pugh

                            --- In Tracing_Pugh_ Origins@yahoogro ups.com, dave pugh <kutshawlives@ ...> wrote:

                            > My family is from East Ky.,Ialso have a full blooded Cherokee in my family as well.Charlie or William Charles Pugh.He was from around Cherokee Nc.Right around the turn of the century.Went on the run to east Ky. dueto bloodshed in a taxation revolt.Half of the clan left for Ky.,part of them to Alabama-Georgia, and apparently a few of them went to Missouri as well.I live in Seattle Wa. now, and I can easily see how you can forget about thing's when you have to be on the move.Thank's for dropping me a line,let me know if I can help in any way.Did you know that the first Pugh's in North America pre-date the Mayflower by around 16-25yrs.or so???Also it is a derivative of the name Hugh,because of some gramattical error in Gaelic to English.We even have a coat of arms and everything.Keep in touch
                            >

                            > Mr. David S. Pugh

                          • Dorman Nelson
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 13 9:11 PM
                              Howdy all,
                              I am pursuing a group of Pugh folks that were out of Missouri.
                              They married into the Skakel family (Ethyl Skakel Kennedy) and
                              I have gotten some other information from some other Pugh relatives.
                              I will try to get these in order and post them.
                              Thanks,

                              Dorman Nelson
                              Biographer
                              www.johnlivereatingjohnston.com

                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 14 6:36 AM
                                I know John B was in Dallas around 1890. He came from OK. and Georgia before that. We
                                have been in Dallas and surrounding areas ever since.

                                Ours were in Dallas Co. by 1860, Johnson County, Tarrant County, Parker County, and moving west and north (OK).  We know we've found some in Hood County and others that are related.

                                Dorthy Casten

                                Really? I am a Pugh in Texas.Would like to get in touch with some of the others. Especially if there are also OK. ties.

                                Barbara Jackson

                                Lots of Pughs in Texas - we've discovered that's lots are related!  The Pugh clan was definitely prolific.

                                Dorthy Casten (mother of 3 Pugh children)

                                Thanks Bruce just finding out how many Pugh's are out there.Not so many where I come from

                                Mr. David S. Pugh

                                The Pugh Name in Wales is about as common as Smith or Jones is here. Di you have any idea when your line came to the US or what part of Wales they come from? My line if from Carmarthen South Wales and came to the US in the mid-1800's if that helps any.

                                By the way the change from Hugh to Pugh was probably not a gramatical error. It more likely came from the description of a person as son of Hugh, which is Ap Hugh. AP Hugh bacame Pugh by some accounts I have read.

                                Bruce Pugh

                                --- In Tracing_Pugh_ Origins@yahoogro ups.com, dave pugh <kutshawlives@ ...> wrote:

                                > My family is from East Ky.,Ialso have a full blooded Cherokee in my family as well.Charlie or William Charles Pugh.He was from around Cherokee Nc.Right around the turn of the century.Went on the run to east Ky. dueto bloodshed in a taxation revolt.Half of the clan left for Ky.,part of them to Alabama-Georgia, and apparently a few of them went to Missouri as well.I live in Seattle Wa. now, and I can easily see how you can forget about thing's when you have to be on the move.Thank's for dropping me a line,let me know if I can help in any way.Did you know that the first Pugh's in North America pre-date the Mayflower by around 16-25yrs.or so???Also it is a derivative of the name Hugh,because of some gramattical error in Gaelic to English.We even have a coat of arms and everything.Keep in touch
                                >

                                > Mr. David S. Pugh

                              • Doug Moore
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 14 7:32 AM
                                  My family are Pughs (our particular line of the Pugh name does not extend past my grandfather) in Virginia. I'm not certain what line we extend from. There was some information in this group, I believe, that indicates that there may be a false link in the information we have. I have not had time to do much real research.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 14 8:24 AM
                                    Howdy,

                                    In my Pugh Family History,

                                    The Pugh family is of Welsh origin. The name was originally Ap Hugh,
                                    the "Ap" denoting "son of Hugh".
                                    Tradition has it that the Pughs are descendants of Hugh, a younger
                                    son of Sir Owen Glendower, who was the last
                                    Welsh prince. He was a patriot who spent his life trying to free
                                    Wales from England.

                                    The start of the first batch of information is:

                                    James Pugh
                                    b. perhaps in Virginia
                                    d. 19 Aug 1839, Greenup, Co. Ky.

                                    m. 10 Feb 1801 to Mary Kerin Fitzpatrick
                                    b. 1780/90 Albemarle Co., Va.
                                    d. 1844/50 Greenup Co. , Ky

                                    8 children

                                    Elizabeth Rean Pugh b 1802 d 1892

                                    Cassandra Pugh

                                    Sarah Pugh

                                    Emily Pugh

                                    Lovey Pugh b 1809 d 1877 in Hollister, Ca (my note: I am
                                    interested in this side of the family as this group went west, Lovey
                                    married John Wesley

                                    Hardwick about 1831or3, and one Hardwick died in Pacific
                                    Grove, Ca.)

                                    James Young Pugh
                                    b 1810
                                    m his cousin, Cinderella Pugh b 1810

                                    Jane Pugh
                                    b 1819
                                    m 13 mar 1843 to George Nimrod Pugh b 1809 Ky brother of John
                                    Wesley Hardwick

                                    Samuel Bell Pugh
                                    b 1822

                                    Dorman Nelson
                                    Biographer
                                    John liver eating Johnston
                                    Thomas Wilbur Hardwick
                                    William Skakel
                                  • nomogeopewz@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 14 2:38 PM
                                      What is you grandfather's name and year of birth?

                                      On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Barbara Jackson <scotsbarb1@yahoo. com> wrote:

                                      I know John B was in Dallas around 1890. He came from OK. and Georgia before that. We
                                      have been in Dallas and surrounding areas ever since.

                                      Ours were in Dallas Co. by 1860, Johnson County, Tarrant County, Parker County, and moving west and north (OK).  We know we've found some in Hood County and others that are related.

                                      Dorthy Casten

                                      Really? I am a Pugh in Texas.Would like to get in touch with some of the others. Especially if there are also OK. ties.

                                      Barbara Jackson

                                      Lots of Pughs in Texas - we've discovered that's lots are related!  The Pugh clan was definitely prolific.

                                      Dorthy Casten (mother of 3 Pugh children)

                                      Thanks Bruce just finding out how many Pugh's are out there.Not so many where I come from

                                      Mr. David S. Pugh

                                      The Pugh Name in Wales is about as common as Smith or Jones is here. Di you have any idea when your line came to the US or what part of Wales they come from? My line if from Carmarthen South Wales and came to the US in the mid-1800's if that helps any.

                                      By the way the change from Hugh to Pugh was probably not a gramatical error. It more likely came from the description of a person as son of Hugh, which is Ap Hugh. AP Hugh bacame Pugh by some accounts I have read.

                                      Bruce Pugh

                                      --- In Tracing_Pugh_ Origins@yahoogro ups.com, dave pugh <kutshawlives@ ...> wrote:

                                      > My family is from East Ky.,Ialso have a full blooded Cherokee in my family as well.Charlie or William Charles Pugh.He was from around Cherokee Nc.Right around the turn of the century.Went on the run to east Ky. dueto bloodshed in a taxation revolt.Half of the clan left for Ky.,part of them to Alabama-Georgia, and apparently a few of them went to Missouri as well.I live in Seattle Wa. now, and I can easily see how you can forget about thing's when you have to be on the move.Thank's for dropping me a line,let me know if I can help in any way.Did you know that the first Pugh's in North America pre-date the Mayflower by around 16-25yrs.or so???Also it is a derivative of the name Hugh,because of some gramattical error in Gaelic to English.We even have a coat of arms and everything.Keep in touch
                                      >

                                      > Mr. David S. Pugh

                                    • Mollie
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 14 2:58 PM
                                        My Pugh line includes Albert Ross Pugh who is buried in Como, Texs and 3 of his children (Buddy, Nonnie and Dolty) that settled in Johnson County, TX. Does any of this fit your line?

                                        --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Dorthy Casten" <dlc5559@...> wrote:

                                        > what is your line?
                                        >
                                        > Ours were in Dallas Co. by 1860, Johnson County, Tarrant County, Parker County, and moving west and north (OK). We know we've found some in Hood County and others that are related.
                                        >
                                        > Dorthy Casten

                                      • DWAYNE PETTYJON
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 14 5:17 PM
                                          Who are your Pugh ancestors?

                                          Mary Pettyjohn

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 14 5:21 PM
                                            I have a John B. son of Jesse N.  Could this be your John B.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Apr 14 8:07 PM
                                              Our Pughs were in Johnson County, Texas (that area includes Burleson, Joshua, Old Caddo area, Cleburne, and such.  ALL of that area was cut from the old original Navaro County as was Tarrant, Parker and such.  Hood County was once a part of Johnson County.  When were your folks in Johnson County.  That Albert Ross Pugh name sure sounds familiar.

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Apr 15 7:02 AM
                                                My John B was the son of William A. and Louaner Pugh.

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Apr 15 7:15 AM
                                                  Rodney, born May 8 1922. For some reason I don't have the location recorded, but I believe it was in Pulaski, but he was raised in Del Ray, Va (Alexandria). His father was William Jefferson Pugh, b. July 11, 1887 d. Feb 26, 1942. After that the accuracy of my information is questionable, but I believe his father's name was George W. Pugh.

                                                  On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 5:38 PM, <nomogeopewz@...> wrote:

                                                  What is you grandfather's name and year of birth?

                                                  Ours were in Dallas Co. by 1860, Johnson County, Tarrant County, Parker County, and moving west and north (OK).  We know we've found some in Hood County and others that are related.

                                                  Dorthy Casten

                                                  Really? I am a Pugh in Texas.Would like to get in touch with some of the others. Especially if there are also OK. ties.

                                                  Barbara Jackson

                                                  Lots of Pughs in Texas - we've discovered that's lots are related!  The Pugh clan was definitely prolific.

                                                  Dorthy Casten (mother of 3 Pugh children)

                                                  Thanks Bruce just finding out how many Pugh's are out there.Not so many where I come from

                                                  Mr. David S. Pugh

                                                  The Pugh Name in Wales is about as common as Smith or Jones is here. Di you have any idea when your line came to the US or what part of Wales they come from? My line if from Carmarthen South Wales and came to the US in the mid-1800's if that helps any.

                                                  By the way the change from Hugh to Pugh was probably not a gramatical error. It more likely came from the description of a person as son of Hugh, which is Ap Hugh. AP Hugh bacame Pugh by some accounts I have read.

                                                  Bruce Pugh

                                                  --- In Tracing_Pugh_ Origins@yahoogro ups.com, dave pugh <kutshawlives@ ...> wrote:

                                                  > My family is from East Ky.,Ialso have a full blooded Cherokee in my family as well.Charlie or William Charles Pugh.He was from around Cherokee Nc.Right around the turn of the century.Went on the run to east Ky. dueto bloodshed in a taxation revolt.Half of the clan left for Ky.,part of them to Alabama-Georgia, and apparently a few of them went to Missouri as well.I live in Seattle Wa. now, and I can easily see how you can forget about thing's when you have to be on the move.Thank's for dropping me a line,let me know if I can help in any way.Did you know that the first Pugh's in North America pre-date the Mayflower by around 16-25yrs.or so???Also it is a derivative of the name Hugh,because of some gramattical error in Gaelic to English.We even have a coat of arms and everything.Keep in touch
                                                  >

                                                  > Mr. David S. Pugh

                                                  Get the scoop on the live music scene in your area and hit a show tonight. Check out TourTracker.com!

                                                • Mollie
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Apr 15 7:28 AM
                                                    My Pughs were in Cleburne mostly. Albert Ross Pugh was born in 1874 and died in 1955. He had a sister, Delilah, but I do not know anything about her. Their dad was John D. Pugh, born 1852 and died 1915. Does any of this connect to your family. If you are on Ancestry.com, you can look at my tree there.

                                                  • Mark Pugh
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Apr 15 7:40 AM
                                                      I was born in Fort Worth, but hail from the Alabama Pughs of Clarke County (Grove Hill). My great grandfather's brother, Warren Stone Pugh, moved from Alabama to Weatherford, TX, in the 1870's? His son was John J. Pugh, married to Ida Pugh. They lived on Lincoln Avenue in Fort Worth. I knew them when I was a little kid, back in the '50's. Their son, Marion Pugh, was the QB for the national champion Texas A&M team in 1939. His son, Marion Condie, Jr., was a doctor but is deceased. His son, Kyle Pugh, is an attorney in Dallas. This is at least one of the Texas Pugh connections, coming from Alabama in the late 1800's. My line goes from Elijah Pugh to Isaac Pugh to Stephen Pugh to Love Newton Pugh to Robert Blake Pugh to Robert Stephen Pugh, to me, Mark Stephen Pugh, Corpus Christi, TX.

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Apr 15 4:37 PM
                                                        Our "proven" ancestor was Mastin Green(e) Pugh, born 1838 in Alabama, found on 1860 census in Arkansas but his suspected father, Jesse N. Pugh, was found on 1860 census of Dallas County.  On 1870 census of Johnson County there are Pughs we believe are part of this family, and indeed Mary Pettyjohn and I suspect that the G. N. Pugh shown on that census is actually J. N. Pugh - the demographics fit with him and others there fit with our family.  Your John and our Pughs may be part of the same family.  Was Albert Ross Pugh born in Johnson County?  Do you have a father for him?

                                                        Dorthy Casten

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Apr 15 4:40 PM
                                                          Your Pughs may also be related to us as ours were also on north side of FW as well as west Tarrant County, Johnson County, and Parker County. Several are buried in the pioneer cemetery, Oakwood, on Grande Avenue.  I, too, hail from north side.  When I was married to Pugh (years ago), we knew that the doc Pugh and also a pharmacist were related to us.

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Apr 15 4:41 PM
                                                            Have you done DNA?  My son has participated .... should be pretty quick to compare if there is a possible kinship.

                                                            Dorthy Casten

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Apr 17 5:54 PM
                                                              My Pughs were told the same thing, about being descended from Welsh royalty...

                                                              Dorthy Casten

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Apr 18 8:15 AM
                                                                James was the son of John Pugh born 1730 in va

                                                                Watson Pugh