Re: william w pugh. Kin to Joel PEW from KY?

  • Macalyne Fristoe
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2008
      My GGG grandfather, Joel PEW/PUGH, was said to have been born in
      Kentucky about 1794, but at least three generations of researchers
      have found no record of his parents in any state. His ancestry
      remains a real puzzle. William Pugh is one name that I have been
      interested in. William Pugh was the father of Reuben PEW, whose son
      Reuben Pew came to KY. (You can see that I am grasping at straws in
      lieu of finding any records of Joel PEW's origins.)

      My Joel PEW came to Hickman County, TN, about 1810, where he married
      Prudence ("Jane") NICKS (b. in NC) in 1812. Joel served in the War
      of 1812 and was listed in Hickman County in the 1820 Census. He died
      just before the 1830 Census was done, leaving a widow and six
      children. No descendents of his sons have been found, so we cannot
      participate in the DNA research.

      According to the 1820 Census, a David PEW/PUGH probably lived near
      him in Hickman Co., TN. Was this the David PUGH (b. 1761 in VA, d.
      1822 in TN) who was married to both Sara GREER and Nancy MINTON and
      went to Tennessee? I have not found the names of all of his
      children, but Joel is not listed among those which I have found.

      Joel and Prudence PEW's children, all born in Hickman Co., TN, were
      George (b. 1813, d. 1839)
      Sarah (b. 1815, d. 1869; m. Henry G. CUMMINS 1836)
      Jane Amanda (b. 1818, D. 1857; m. Joseph WEBB 1852)
      John W. (b. 1820, d. 1836)
      Lydia (b. 1822, d. 1823)
      Mary Melissa (b. 1825, d. 1898; m. Madison Hervey PUCKETT 1846)
      Margaret Etta (b. 1827, d. 1898; m. James Walker STILER 1846)
      and perhaps Samuel
    • pugtucky49
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 16, 2008
        --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, Macalyne Fristoe
        <mfristoe@...> wrote:

        > My GGG grandfather, Joel PEW/PUGH, was said to have been born in
        > Kentucky about 1794, but at least three generations of researchers
        > have found no record of his parents in any state. His ancestry
        > remains a real puzzle. William Pugh is one name that I have been
        > interested in. William Pugh was the father of Reuben PEW, whose son
        > Reuben Pew came to KY. (You can see that I am grasping at straws in
        > lieu of finding any records of Joel PEW's origins.)
        >
        > My Joel PEW came to Hickman County, TN, about 1810, where he
        married
        > Prudence ("Jane") NICKS (b. in NC) in 1812. Joel served in the War
        > of 1812 and was listed in Hickman County in the 1820 Census. He
        died
        > just before the 1830 Census was done, leaving a widow and six
        > children. No descendents of his sons have been found, so we cannot
        > participate in the DNA research.
        >
        > According to the 1820 Census, a David PEW/PUGH probably lived near
        > him in Hickman Co., TN. Was this the David PUGH (b. 1761 in VA, d.
        > 1822 in TN) who was married to both Sara GREER and Nancy MINTON and
        > went to Tennessee? I have not found the names of all of his
        > children, but Joel is not listed among those which I have found.
        >
        > Joel and Prudence PEW's children, all born in Hickman Co., TN, were
        > George (b. 1813, d. 1839)
        > Sarah (b. 1815, d. 1869; m. Henry G. CUMMINS 1836)
        > Jane Amanda (b. 1818, D. 1857; m. Joseph WEBB 1852)
        > John W. (b. 1820, d. 1836)
        > Lydia (b. 1822, d. 1823)
        > Mary Melissa (b. 1825, d. 1898; m. Madison Hervey PUCKETT
        1846)
        > Margaret Etta (b. 1827, d. 1898; m. James Walker STILER 1846)
        > and perhaps Samuel
        > I WISH I COULD HELP YOU BUT I DONT HAVE ANY OF YOUR PUGHS IN MY
        TREE ! MY WILLIAM W PUGH WAS BORN IN 1805 IN NC. HIS SON WAS JOSEPH
        THOMAS PUGH WHO WAS BORN IN RUTHERFORD CO TENN IN 1826 , HIS SON
        JAMES FRANKLIN PUGH WAS BORN IN MARSHALL CO KY IN 1869 ! SORRY RALPH
        PUGH !