Adpoted son search?

  • kwp462003
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13, 2008
      Have any of the members recieved an email as follows?

      I see you are a match to my adopted son. Would hope you will share some
      information. Mark was born in S. Carolina. We did dna to find his
      heritage, found he is from a Welsh father. He matched the Edwards
      family. Are you connected to this family? We are interested in any
      family that maybe connected to his,only as a tool to help him find
      information about his back ground. This is NOT to try to research any
      of the real parents.

      I get a little shy of these type of question.

      Thanks for any replies
    • Dorthy Casten
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2008
        Haven't received this email ... I'm also a little shy of "research" emails that do not offer ANY information indicatng the party has done any reserach on their own.

        Dorthy Casten

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2008

            I have not seen the email you referenced.  You may want to ask the writer how they determined the match.  Did it come through the FTDNA system or some other database?  How many markers were compared and what was the genetic distance?  What were the dates and locations of their most distant ancestor?  Were there Pughs in the vicinity?  What were their names and dates?  I would be happy to try and help out if you are interested in helping this person.  Without knowing more, it is difficult to judge whether we could be of any help anyway.

            If your DNA does not match others in the Pugh Project, they would not likely have seen the message you reference.  I always try to help out others when I receive such requests.  If they are genuine, and you are willing to assist, you may be able to offer something if they can provide enough information for you to comment.  Based on what you have presented, the person did not really provide enough information to give you anything to go on.  They are likely new to DNA and just received their results back.

            We remind participants from time to time to add their most distant ancestor to their FTDNA personal page.  This helps in recruiting individuals in your line and will ultimately help further your research.  It is also good to upload a Gedcom of your line to your personal page at FTDNA for the same reasons.  Having the information out there would also help others, like the one who contacted you, do some initial research before they approach you with a query.

            The more information you put out there, the greater your chances of success.  Just paying for the test and waiting for others to join is not as effective a strategy as actively participating in recruiting efforts.  The sale at FTDNA is a great opportunity but the window is closing fast.  We have about two more weeks to take advantage of the discounts.

            Good luck and let me know if you would like any help with this situation.

            Jeff

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 13, 2008

              Hi Mark,

              I am glad you are still connected.  That must mean you dodged the worst of Ike.  How did Corpus Christi fare?

              Jeff

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 13, 2008
                Hi Jeff,

                I will send you some pics. We had very high tides but otherwise, escaped the brunt of the storm. Galveston and Houston were not so fortunate. Thanks for asking!

                God bless,
                Mark

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 13, 2008

                  Thanks for the news from the field.  I have been watching the weather reports and that storm was huge.  I am glad you are OK.  Let’s hope that FEMA acts appropriately to contain the damage and quickly restore those areas directly affected.  To keep the discussion on list I should mention that the FTDNA lab is located in Huston.