Re: [Tracing_Pugh_Origins] Re: Dorthy Casten Reply

  • mpettyjohn@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1 4:03 AM
      Dorthy, you did a great job explaining the mystery of our Mastin/Maston.  I would like to give some more information that might explain the two father's of Mastin.  I believe it all started with me.  James E. Pugh is my gr-grandfather and I thought I located him in the 1860 Census for Sulphur Fork, Lafayette County, AR.  The Census showed him as the son of Lewis and Beady Pugh and had his name as James F.  Further researched linked Lewis to Ira.  Dorthy and another TX cousin contacted me and sent me the death certificate of James E. Pugh which had Green has James' father.  Later Dorthy sent me a 1860 Census record for Beech Township, Lafayette County, AR that had a James E. Pugh listed as the son of Mastin and Sarah.  Both James' were born the same year.  It is thanks to Dorthy we now know James' father is Mastin.  Here are some more facts that might be helpful in linking Jesse N. to Mastin.  We know that Jesse N. had a la nd patent in Miller County, AR in 1856.  In reality, Miller County did not exist at that time.  Miller County ceased to exist in 1836 and became part of Lafayette County.  Beech Township is in present day Miller County (establish in 1874).  We also know that J.N. was in Lafayette County as late as February 27, 1860.  This is from Court of Probate Records.  The Court of Probate Records also show that Ira E. died sometime before Febraury 28, 1860.

      About James' place of birth, he was most likely born in AR.  Lafayette County, AR is on the border of LA and it was normal for people of that area to call it LA.  This is strange but it is true.

      Mary

      From: "Dorthy Casten" <dlc5559@...>

      I wish we could help you and in the process help ourselves.  We have yet to be able to prove who the father of Mastin Green(e) Pugh is.  At one time several had his father showing as Ira, but we learned that probably was not correct.  We are currently working to try to discover for sure if Jesse N. Pugh is the father of Mastin.  We have yet to find anything like a Will for Jesse N. Pugh or even discover a place of death.  However, we do know that Jesse N. Pugh and wife Rhoda were in Dallas County, Texas on the census records of 1860.  And we know that Jesse had a son listed with him at that time who's name was Henry C. Pugh.  We find Henry C. Pugh in Caddo Grove, Johnson County, Texas, in the Caddo Cemetery, having died in 1875.  We know that Mastin G. Pugh was also in Caddo about that time because Mastin's son John Wesley Pugh was born in Caddo, Johnson County, Texas in 1874.  We believe that with Henry C. P ugh and Mastin G. Pugh in the same area in the same time period ties them together as family, but we have absolutely no proof.  No paper trail.  I have beat the bushes all over Texas (electronically thus far) in attempt to "find" Jesse after 1860.  I have discovered a Jesse Pugh in Navarro County, Texas but with a different wife.  And I have discovered a J. N. Pugh death in Navarro County, Texas in about 1913, but that would mean J. N. Pugh lived to be over 100 years old - and that's not plausible for that time period.

      We only recently "proved" that Mastin G. Pugh was indeed the father of James E. Pugh and John Wesley Pugh.  That was done with finally discovering the Pugh-Selvidge Cemetery and the two infants buried there...one being an infant of J. W. Pugh and one being the infant of G. D. Selvidge and Mary Emma Pugh.  J. W. Pugh, of course, was Mastin's son, and Mary Emma Pugh was a daughter of James E. Pugh.  That ties this family together.  We have found no paper trail.

      Mary Pettyjohn, Nelda Stephenson, Marsha Goodwin, a local Texas Pugh cousin by the name of John Norman Pugh, and I have been able to piece together the family lineage from Mastin forward and have just about all of that pulled together.  But we are sorely lacking in being able to say definitely that Jesse N. Pugh is the father of Mastin.  Some Pugh members have gone ahead and put Jesse in as the father, choosing to change it in the future if proven incorrect.  I have hesitated and have not entered Jesse as the father because I'm stubborn and want proof first.

      My son, Christopher Brian Pugh, has participated in the DNA project with the 12 marker test.  Unfortunately I am unable financially to go beyond that (all money is going in a fund in hope of receiving a kidney transplant so that I can be removed from dialysis - a very expensive goal).  I think either Jeff or Kline told me that the 12 marker just puts Chris in a group but does not prove anything.  In fact, one of them told me that even if we go further with the DNA testing that it may not ever prove who the father is, because it could be one of 5 brothers (and I've never figured out who those five are).  But whoever it was who told me this also told me that the DNA should at least tell us who the GRANDFATHER of Mastin is.

      By the way, my name is Dorthy, not Dorothy, so if any of you family members are inputtng data and have spelled it Dorothy, I would appreciate you correcting it (my maiden name was Kilgore; my married name is Casten).  I've fought it all my life and have made my family swear they will spell it correctly on the headstone!!

      I don't know that I've shared a current gen. report with anyone lately, but I've done some more researching and fleshed out even more on the descendants of James E. Pugh (children's marriages, etc.).  Also, John Wesley Pugh was married to Mary Elizabeth Miller.  This is the line of my children.  I can provide information on the children and grandchildren of JWP and MEMP.

      Dorthy

      Message 2 of 12 , May 1 6:24 AM
        To make it even more difficult for us Mastin Pugh family members, when Jesse Pugh and Mastin Pugh came to Texas this was not divided into counties as it is today.  This was not really a state as it is today.  Navarro was huge and several present-day counties were cut from Navarro ... those counties being Tarrant, Johnson, Ellis, parts of Hood, Wise, parts of southern Dallas, and others.  So it may well be that Jesse was in "Navarro" County, but that could be anywhere in a vast area of Texas.  I have checked with the State of Texas regarding land grants, but Jesse wasn't listed nor was Mastin.  But there are Pughs who received land grants.  But there are names associated with the Pughs (Miller, McCommas for instance) who did receive land grants.  And there are names associated with the Pughs who came with the Peters Colony.  So Jesse may not have had an original land grant but was probably associated with someone who received the original land grant, and probably settled with someone who received an original land grant.  Finding that information is like looking for a needle in a haystack.  It doesn't make good sense that Jesse would leave Arkansas/Louisiana where he actually OWNED land (and Mary Pettyjohn has located more than one land record) to move to Texas where he owned nothing.

        And we do know that there was apparently still a connection back to Arkansas, even as late as the 1930 census record.  On that census we find that the sons of Mastin, James E. Pugh and John Wesley Pugh and John's wife/kids, are in Arkansas in Sherman, Johnson County, farming.  My local John Norman Pugh recalls his father talking about that experience and indicating that the family nearly starved to death during that time.  They did not stay back  in Arkansas long and returned to Tarrant County.  However we would love to find the connection to Arkansas (family members).

        Dorthy

        Message 3 of 12 , May 1 5:33 PM

          Can’t help you with your project, but if you run into a James Nero Pugh in McMinn, County, TN; Montgomery County, TX, Walker County, TX, or Harris County, TX he is not kin to you that was my grandfather.  He sometimes signed his name as J. N. Pugh.

          Message 4 of 12 , May 1 5:52 PM

            I was not able to download the images from you.  Could you send them again and give me another chance.