Pugh Ramblings

  • Dorthy Casten
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2008
      Jeff,

      One more question.

      Several of us have worked together and have the family line of our Mastin Green(e) Pugh forward to current generations but we have a stone wall "proving" Mastin's father (some think it is Jesse N. Pugh and we are certainly trying to follow that trail).  Would you still want us to send you something to post even if the information is not complete?  I always hate having incorrect or potential but not proven information online because it can often be taken for truth when in fact it may be erroneous.  Thanks to my son's DNA test we do know that this part of the family Pugh Lineage Ie.  At least we know that until I can afford to pay for further DNA testing for Christopher.

      Dorthy
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2008

        Hi Dorthy,

        Here is a link to the Pugh Surname DNA Project site at RootsWeb:

        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pughdna/

        and here is a Tiny URL for the same site:

        http://tinyurl.com/4z59ft

        There are also links to the same site in the Description at the head of our Tracing Pugh Origins site and at our FTDNA site.  I thought that all were aware of this new site by now.  Sorry for not being more clear with what has been going on.

        With regard to posting incomplete information, I understand.  I did craft a disclaimer to place at the top of each genealogy page.  Hopefully this is adequate but if anyone wishes to provide feedback/editing on what I have done I would greatly appreciate it.  I am glad to hear that we have a Web developer in our midst.  I am just slogging through doing the best that I can to get the information out so any guidance and/or feedback would be of great benefit.  I will leave it up to each individual to decide whether or not to include a genealogy page.  It would be nice if they were all of a similar basic format.  I end the genealogy at around 1900 to protect the living.  The format that I would like to follow provides a link in the main header to a genealogy page that defines the branches represented by the most distant ancestor and then links at each participant carry the respective branch of the lineage forward to approximately 1900.

        The goal of all that I am doing is to inform the genealogical community of what we are trying to do in the Pugh Surname DNA Project.  In the beginning it was very simple.  We did not know anything about how all of the Pugh lines connected.  As we have grown, we have learned quite a bit in a number of areas.  So much, in fact, that I cannot be intimately involved in all of the various sub-projects currently underway.  I provided the new site in February to give our participants a place to get the word out on their research and to request that others join to help grow the database so that we can learn more.

        We actually have four Web sites and tomorrow we will have five.  On April 30, 2007, DNA-Ancestry is finally launching their Surname Groups.  I have high hopes for this new site at DNA-Ancestry.  FTDNA is not a genealogical enterprise.  It is a laboratory with a few scientists at its head.  They have never been supportive of the needs of the Project Administrators.  That is why I created the Tracing Pugh Origins site and now the Pugh Surname DNA Project at RootsWeb.  One site is plenty for me to maintain and Tracing Pugh Origins does not allow me to do some of the things that I want to do.  The World Families Network site is also not very flexible.  It is basically an improved version of what we already have at FTDNA.  Other than having the most recent data available, the FTDNA site is not all that helpful.  It does not allow for colorized presentation of our data.  I believe that FTDNA feels the heat of DNA-Ancestry and now promises a completely revamped Website in early 2009.

        Our RootsWeb site can take the place of everything but the message board that is currently provided at the Tracing Pugh Origins site.  The World Families Network site is no longer of any use as far as I can tell.  The FTDNA site can be scaled back to bare bones so as not to complicate our main site at RootsWeb.  I do not yet know what the DNA-Ancestry site will bring.  My current vision is the have the RootsWeb site serve as our main Website and provide links to and from the FTDNA site and the new DNA-Ancestry site.  The goal would be to have no duplicate information or functionality among the three sites.  We would completely abandon the Tracing Pugh Origins site and the World Families Network site.  This is just my vision and I am welcome to suggestions.  The time frame of all of this is on the order of several months.

        The more help that I receive, the more we can do as a group.  I work, have a family and many other commitments so my time is very limited.  I do what I can, when I can so any offers of help are greatly appreciated.  We have now grown to the point where we really need a management team running the show with individuals responsible for various functions including analyzing data, maintaining our Website(s), communicating with participants, recruiting and maintaining a presence on the various Pugh boards and lists.  Just think, if we each spent just one hour a week doing one of these things, that would be nearly 70 more hours than I am able to provide as an individual.

        Thanks again for your interest,

        Jeff