Updated Colorized Data Summary Chart

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 18, 2008
      The data chart has been updated and can be found at:

      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pughdna/index_files/Pu
      ghProjectResultsAnalysis.htm
    • Jane Hargreaves
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 27, 2008

        Hi Jeff,

        I keep trying to look at the updated colorized data summary chart & I keep getting

        We're sorry. The page you tried to access is not available

        The page may have moved, or there may be an error in the address. Please check the address or try one of the resources below.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 27, 2008

          Hi Jane,

          The URL is too long so only part of it ends up being clickable.  Try this one:

          http://tinyurl.com/4ft7j6

          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 28, 2008

            Thank you Jeff.

            Tiny is better.

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 28, 2008
              Howdy,

              In my research I have found that Pugh had married into
              the Skakel lines, which is in the scope of my
              interest. I am finishing my bio on John Liver Eating
              Johnston (made modernly famous by Robert Redford's
              movie Jeremiah Johnson) who was a member of a wild
              west show in 1884, under the backing of William
              Skakel.
              So.....I have some Pugh papers in that involving
              Kentucky, Virginia, Indiana Pughs. I would like to
              send them to Jeff so he can arrange them for all.
              Please send me an address to:
              Dorman Nelson dormannelson@...

              Also, there was a William Pugh, who, in the last
              couple of years, testified in the modern Skakel case.
              I would like to find out if he is
              related to Pughs in Missouri in the late 1800s.

              Thank you,
              Dorman Nelson
              Biographer
              www.johnlivereatingjohnston.com
            • Daniela Moneta
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 28, 2008

                Jeff,

                I love how you have put the hyperlinks on the Pugh DNA chart for Lineage IIIa and IVb to their genealogies. You must have the best DNA surname chart and website on the Web! You do so much work for the Pugh DNA project; I think we should give you an award!

                Jeff, you are the best!

                I only have two more weeks of school and then I will have free time this summer and promise to help you as much as possible by recruiting new participants for the Pugh DNA project. Your chart makes it easier to recruit.

                I would like to send you some genealogies for my Henry Pugh line in Lineage Ib. I think that David Gough of Lineage Ia might want to participate in this too. Also Francine Vincent, Kline Pugh, and Watson Pugh might want to supply you with their genealogies. I am sending them a copy of this email but I am pretty sure they subscribe to Tracing Pugh Origins.

                Jeff, tell all of us again what we can do to help you with putting information on this website or the new website which I understand will take over from this one. What is your Wish List for the new site? I know that you want to expand the Most Wanted page.

                Thanks,

                Daniela

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 28, 2008

                  Daniela,

                  Thanks for the kudos but I really do not deserve all that praise.  I have not done much with the site lately; I have been waiting for others to get involved.  Ruth provided a great write-up for her line on the Most Wanted page.  I was hoping that her work would inspire others to do the same.  We have so many lines represented in the Project now, I have taken a back seat with regard to trying to develop them all myself.  It would be great if representatives of the various lines would step forward and provide a write-up for how they see their recruiting needs.  I have been working with a few individuals on how they might use DNA to resolve their specific issues and would be happy to work with others.

                  I have not done anything with the Discussion of Results pages since my last post requesting assistance.  I expect that I might be asking too much with regard to that.  I promise to do what I can to at least get a draft up of what I think we currently know.  Again it is difficult for me to address some of the lines because I know so little about the paper trail side.  At some point, we really need our participants to interact with us and help us tell the genealogical community what we know through paper trail, what DNA has told us so far and what more we may be able to learn by recruiting the right participants into our Project.  We have two pages so far in the Discussion of Results section and we will likely have about six or so when I get around to writing what is missing.  Any writing help and/or ideas that our members can provide would be much appreciated.

                  The other thing that I would like to continue to develop is the links that you mentioned.  I have been through a procedure with the David and Catherine (Price) Pugh line and I really became too involved in the details.  I think the best approach is for volunteers to provide me with a genealogy page that is basically ready to post.  I can do the formatting but I do not want to get deeply involved in the presentation of genealogical facts.  The reports that are currently up on the site and linked to our spreadsheet were created in Family Tree Maker.  I am sure that other programs can provide similar reports.  If I am given a rich text file (RTF format) I can add the disclaimer at the top and the links at the end, put the background in, format the text font, size and color, make a Web page and post it with links in our spreadsheet.

                  Those are a few things that I think would be helpful in recruiting new participants.  I am always very open to new ideas and improvements to what I have already done.  We can basically do whatever we want with the new site.  It is not as confining as the Yahoo site.  I had tried to get a Pugh-DNA message board but RootsWeb would not grant me one.  They did give me a Pugh-DNA mailing list.  We may not phase out the Tracing Pugh Origins site for some time, I just do not do much with it anymore.  The new site will evolve as it grows.  The Most Wanted page may end up as a list of most distant ancestral couples with links to the write-ups like the one that Ruth did.  In other words, sort of an Index page for the Most Wanted.  This may also be a better approach for the Discussion of Results section.  Otherwise people would have to navigate through six pages trying to find the information on the specific line they want to know the status of.  We could also put links right in the spreadsheet to the Discussion of Results specific to each of the various lineages.  Again, any and all ideas are welcome.

                  Thank again for the kudos.  I suppose that means I have to go to work on the new site now.  I promise to do what I can as soon as I can.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 29, 2008

                    Okay, Jeff, I hear you. I can organize the people in Lineage I1b to I1e, those who descend from Lewis Pugh (1670-1740), to get their Family Tree Maker genealogy reports in to me, I will convert them to .rtf and pass them on to you, hopefully ready to post. I will also ask these people to submit a brief report on their most wanted ancestor.

                    I like the ideas of making an index for the Most Wanted page which links to a more detailed description and the same idea would be good for the results page.

                    Daniela

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 29, 2008

                      Thank you for the input Daniela.  I will look forward to receiving your information.

                      I would also like to reiterate that we have several positions open for Line Leaders.  The Line Leaders could serve as the primary contact for their respective lineage.  They could also help by working with us, other participants in their respective lineage and other Pugh researchers that they know to summarize their research and articulate what they are trying to discover.

                      Jeff