Twin Pugh Brothers in VA

  • jhargreaves2002
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 20, 2008
      Now that I know that it's a possibility that my Thomas may not be
      descended from James M, but rather from Ellis, I am going back over
      my records & looking for missed clues.

      My Grandmother, Pearl Elizabeth Thompson Pugh of Staunton, VA in
      Augusta County was married to Thomas DeWitt Pugh of Radleman, NC.

      Pearl had two Aunts who married twin Pugh brothers.
      I know nothing about these twins other than their names.

      Nancy Thompson born 1847 was married first to a Zebus Finch & then to
      Marcellus (Delas) Pugh.

      Eliza Catherine Thompson born 1856 was married to John Nelson Pugh.

      I don't know when the Pugh twins were born or where.

      My Thompson family is from Staunton, VA in Augusta County.
      Eliza & Nancy's parents were Elizabeth (Eliza) Davis & Berry Thompson.

      Since they were my Grandmother's Aunts, I have done no research on
      them.
      Thompson is NOT an easy name to research.

      But now, I have to wonder if this may be a missed connection that may
      help to solve the James M/Ellis problem.

      Does anyone on this forum have any information about these twin Pughs?

      Jane
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 20, 2008

        You are not going to believe this but online sources tell us that Marcellus B. Pugh and John Nelson Pugh are yet another unrelated line.  This is Daniela and Kline’s Lineage I, Lewis and Ann Pugh line.  We know that the DNA for that line does not match our James M. Pugh descendants.  Maybe a researcher of that line can confirm this information (below).

        Thanks Jane,

        Jeff

        Descendants of William Howard Pugh

        Generation No. 1

                1.  William Howard7 Pugh  (Absalom6, Frederick K.5, John4, Willoughby3, Lewis2, David1) was born 25 Feb 1822 in Albemarle County, VA, and died 22 Dec 1904 in Albemarle County, VA.  He married (1) Mary Price Johnson.    He married (2) Maccarina Thurmond

        More About William Howard Pugh:

        Residence 1: 1860, St Annes Parish, Albemarle, Virginia

        Residence 2: 1850, Bond, Illinois

        Children of William Pugh and Mary Johnson are:

                2                 i.    Lewis Nickolas8 Pugh, born 20 May 1870 in Virginia, USA; died 16 Jan 1949.

                3                ii.    Sarah Nichles Pugh, born 19 Dec 1876 in Albemarle, Virginia, USA; died 11 Apr 1970 in Brook Grove Foundation, Maryland, USA.

                4               iii.    Alvin Elmer Pugh.

                5               iv.    George Bennett Pugh.

                6                v.    Anna L Pugh.

                7               vi.    Oliver Kemper Pugh.

                8              vii.    Emmet R Pugh.

                9             viii.    Mary A Pugh.

        Children of William Pugh and Maccarina Thurmond are:

                10               i.    Marcellus B.8 Pugh.

                11              ii.    William Howard Pugh.

                12             iii.    Nancy Jane Pugh.

                13             iv.    Charles W Pugh.

                14              v.    James Henry Pugh.

                15             vi.    John Nelson Pugh.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 20, 2008
          Thank you both Jim & Jeff,

          If Marcellus & John Nelson had children by the
          Thompson sisters, then for me it is a related line!

          The Thompson girl's parents are my Great-Great
          Grandparents on my maternal Grandmother Pearl
          Thompson's line .

          I hope I hear from Daniela.

          How exciting!

          My thanks, Jane

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Jane Hargreaves
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 21, 2008
            Hi Jeff,

            I haven't heard from Daniele yet.
            Still hoping she'll read this thread & respond.
            I know she checks this forum regularly.

            I was so excited last night when I got your e-mail
            about the Pugh twin brothers married to the Thompson
            sisters. I've always wondered which branch of Pughs
            these boys belonged to.

            Today, in looking the info you sent back over, I
            realized that I had skipped right over the info about
            William's first wife, Mary PRICE Johnson & focused on
            wife # 2 Maccarina Thurmond because she was the twins
            Mom.

            Today, I can't help but wonder about wife # 1.
            Mary PRICE Johnson. PRICE???? Is that a middle name or
            a previous marriage name or maiden name?

            With Joan Price being married to James M Pugh &
            Catherine Price being married to David Pugh, what's up
            with the PRICE in Mary PRICE Johnson's name?

            Is this just a coincidence or something more???

            Jane

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 21, 2008

              The Price connection is interesting.  I have a dozen or so Prices in my data file and many are unconnected.  They are probably not all the same line but it would be interesting to run it all down.  Maybe someone out there has information on the Price’s you reference.  Thanks for sharing this observation.

              Jeff

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs