Got DNA first 12 marker results

  • Tina Joe Pugh Sanders
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14, 2008
      and it confirms what my paper trail has proven. My brother and I are
      descendants of David Pugh (Catherine Price) and his DNA match
      another "cousin" whom we meet in the Generation 3, at Captain Jonathan
      Pugh (3) who died in Carter CO Tn in 1778. (Joseph Sr(2), David and
      Catherine (1).) I have posted our GEDCOM family tree (I think I did)
      on the Pugh page.
    • Ivan Darrell Pugh, Jr.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2008
        --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Joe Pugh Sanders"
        <tsandgolf@...> wrote:

        > and it confirms what my paper trail has proven. My brother and I are
        > descendants of David Pugh (Catherine Price) and his DNA match
        > another "cousin" whom we meet in the Generation 3, at Captain Jonathan
        > Pugh (3) who died in Carter CO Tn in 1778. (Joseph Sr(2), David and
        > Catherine (1).) I have posted our GEDCOM family tree (I think I did)
        > on the Pugh page.

        Very nice! Having recently gotten my own results, I know what a great feeling it is to
        establish those family roots. Good luck on your journey.

        Darrell Pugh
      • jhargreaves2002
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2008
          This is very exciting news.
          Am I correct that the DNA results show that David & James M were NOT
          brothers? Most odd. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around that one.
          It's a hard concept for me, since Catherine & Joan were sisters, it
          made sense that they married Pugh brothers. Even if David & James M
          were cousins, wouldn't the DNA results show a common link?

          When you are ready for more information on the Price line, let me
          know.

          Jane

          --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Darrell Pugh, Jr."

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15, 2008

            Actually we have not made any conclusions with regard to whether James and David were brothers.  It seems probable that they were.  One question we need to answer is how solid is the paper trail evidence that Thomas Pugh, Sr. (1703-1794) was indeed the son of James and Joan (Price) Pugh?  All three of our James M. Pugh participants descend from Thomas, Sr.  We really need a participant who descends from one of James and Joan’s other sons.  I know there are plenty out there; I have spoken to a few on the phone.  DNA is just too scary for some people.

            On the other side, we need to know how solid the paper trail evidence is going back from Captain Jonathan Pugh (1751-1788) to David and Catherine (Price) Pugh.  Both of our David participants descend from Captain Jonathan.  Captain Jonathan descends from David and Catherine’s son Joseph.  The information published on the couples other sons is scant and does not give me enough to speculate on what are chances might be of finding living male descendents of the other branches.

            We do know with certainty that our participants in the James M. Pugh lineage are not related by DNA to our participants in the David Pugh lineage.  So our Project has raised some very important questions.  We should not be afraid of these questions, since by answering them we will find the truth.  DNA does not lie and, in this case, the message is clear.  There is an error in the genealogical research that has been accepted for decades.  Obviously it would have been much simpler for us if the DNA results confirmed the genealogy as it has done for several other relationships.  We are now in a position where we need to answer questions that had long ago been laid to rest.

            I view this as an extremely interesting challenge.

            Jeff