RE: [SPAM]RE: [Tracing_Pugh_Origins] New Chart - Pugh Project Results Analysis

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 14, 2008

      Gordon,

      You are right on target.  I am doing the DNA legwork by lining up the data.  The Bingo game analogy that I mentioned may be helpful to some.  Those who recognize particular lines and individuals can help us immensely by providing their insight with regard to how the DNA matches square with what is available through paper trail research.  I hope everyone understands that I am no expert on what is out there for all Pugh lines in terms of paper trail evidence.  I am very hopeful that everyone will pitch in and try to help us sort out all of these Pughs, some of whom have been improperly connected and others with connections yet to be discovered.  We need to use paper trail research in conjunction with the DNA results we are comparing.

      Daniela and Kline are experts on paper trail for the Lineage I, Lewis and Ann.  We do not have anyone who has volunteered to be a line leader for any of the other lines.  We are at a point now where having such individuals would be a great asset.  There are some informal groups who are working together but it would be great to have those familiar with the information on their particular branches volunteer to field questions from potential participants and genealogists wondering about what the DNA results mean with regard to existing paper trail.  These line leaders might also be able to help us figure out how some of the lines previously thought to be unrelated are connected as we have discovered through DNA analysis.

      There is no magic to this.  It is hard work.  A DNA match tells us nothing if we know nothing about the genealogy of the individuals we are comparing.  I certainly cannot do this by myself.  I do not believe that there is a person out there who is an expert on all Pugh lines.  All I can do is get the information out there so that others can digest it and report back to us.  We all need to work together to make progress.

      Jeff

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 14, 2008
          When you say "fix their lines," what are you asking????  Most of us know absolutely ZERO about what you are doing and haven't a clue what you've done when you do it.  How would we know to "fix our lines"?

          I thought one way in which the DNA might help is if the markers from a DNA test shows a match among several folks that if we couldn't find a path through our own line back a generation that we could perhaps find a path back through someone else's relative.  However, since we know "ZILCH" about any of the other folks, how could we possibly trace ancestors back through them?  I've tried looking at the ged.com files that are available, but the few I've seen are like my own -- in need of much more work and "proof" -- in other words, they haven't been proved up and they also have gaping holes.

          Dorthy Casten

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 14, 2008

            Thank you Randy,

            I hereby knight thee Line Leader of the David and Katherine line.  Hopefully others will come forward to share ideas with you.  I know others are working on this line.

            I really do appreciate your support.  I just wish I was capable of doing a better job for everyone.  I will do what I can to improve on what I have been doing.

            Thanks again,

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 14, 2008

              Dorthy,

              Sorry for not being more clear.  All that I do with the spreadsheet is sort the data to place participants who closely match DNA within groups.  What I need you to do is to look at the names, dates and places associated with the participants that you are familiar with and bring to question any information that does not appear to be accurate.  You cannot change the values of the DNA markers but you can let me know if there appear to be errors in the ancestral information.  In addition, if you recognize ancestors in the table that were believed to be associated with one another but are in different groups, that would also be something important to share.  Another thing that we need help with is to make paper trail connections among individuals that are shown together in a group.  Any observations you may have with regard to your knowledge of the matching individuals would be most helpful.  It could be something as simple as naming patterns in two different lines or date/place associations.  Your work with census data and other sources may allow you to offer some clues with regard to how/when/where two individuals may be connected.  Then we can try to find additional participants to help flesh out the picture or go back and do additional paper trail research.  Two heads are better than one and twenty are better than two.  I have always had my greatest successes when working closely with others.

              One big thing that many of our participants can help us with is to fill in the blanks for most distant ancestor.  If no ancestor is listed, the data is meaningless.  We still have more that a few blanks.

              These are some of the thing that immediately come to mind.  Hopefully you have a better understanding of what I meant by “fix their lines.”  Again, sorry for the poor communication.

              The rest of your statement supports what I am trying to say.  We need to work together.  There are researchers not participating in the Project that can offer advice as well.  The more information that we get out there, the greater our chances of success.  We must be willing to share and to accept the help of others.  We may not always agree with what someone else has to say but we may gain additional insight by opening up to others.  Sometimes if you put two incomplete pieces of the same puzzle together, the picture becomes more clear.  We need each other to get this done.

              Jeff

            • tsandgolf@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 15, 2008
                Jeff, i want you to know I am so excited about the opportunity to participate in the DNA project, and to get some clarity on the very limited and often inaccurate paper data I have found (names are spelled differently, birthdates are recorded differently, marriages remembered differently, etc)................

                SO THANKS very much...........I have already written Randy, and will share any of my data with him on David Pugh/Katherine Price.

                thanks again.  Please don't be discouraged by just a couple people............so many who do not speak up are happy to be a part of this.

                tina pugh sanders

                The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. AOL Music takes you there.
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 15, 2008

                  Tina,

                  Thank you for your kind words.  It means a lot to me and I realize that what I do is helpful to many.  I also understand how frustrating it can be to see something that needs to be corrected and not be able to get it done immediately.  I just ask those wishing to contribute to be patient with me.  I am only human and I am really doing the best that I can, given the fact that I am not an expert on any of this and I do have other commitments outside of Pugh genealogy.  There are many out there who have helped me in the past and continue to do so.  As I see it, we are all in this together and we are all doing what we can to advance the cause.

                  I am also very excited about your participation in the Project.  We have not gotten to the bottom of the James/David Pugh connection and having you in the Project will be one more step in discovering the true relationship.  As I have said before, we still need some James and Joan (Price) Pugh representatives from the Northern branches.  All three of our participants are descended from Thomas, Sr. who went south.

                  Thanks again for your kind words.  I do get discouraged when I see folks frustrated by my actions.  I really just want to help.  I believe that communication through email and discussion groups can be challenging and I sometimes wish that I could just pick up the phone and have an interactive conversation.

                  I am looking forward to your results,

                  Jeff

                • mpettyjohn@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 15, 2008
                    Hello Fellow Pugh Researchers

                    I for one am thankful for all the work Jeff does on the charts.  While I agree paper trails are important and are preferred over DNA results, DNA results are important and very helpful as well.

                    DNA is a very simple molecule and it carries the genes that determine our physical characteristics and some believe our actions as well.  These genetic markers help to connect family members -- DNA testing is a proven procedure in paternity issues and criminal trials. It seems to me some of the problem people might be having with DNA being used in genealogy is the lack of participants from the same line.  For example, Dorothy and I believe we might have determined Jesse N. Pugh was Mastin Green Pugh's father.  Jesse N. was the son of Lewis Pugh and Rebecca Sims Pugh and the brother of Ira E. Pugh.  Unfortunately, we haven't been able to locate any paper trail yet.  In my opinion, this is where DNA would help if there was a descendant of Jesse N. Pugh.

                    I would also like to mention there is a DNA project on my Robert Hood line which has been very frutiful.  By the way, when I get the money, I am planning on having my mitochondrial DNA tested by the National Geographic Genographic Project to trace where my maternal line originated.

                    Once, again, thank you Jeff for all of your work.

                    Best regard,
                    Mary Pettyjohn

                    Pugh lineage:

                    Mastin Green Pugh and Sarah Johnson Pugh
                    James E. Pugh and Lucinda Welch Pugh
                    Emma Mary Pugh Selvidge and George Daniel Selvidge
                    Annie Mae Selvidge Michael and John Joseph Michael
                    Mary Edna Michael Pettyjohn and Dwayne Marvin Pettyjohn