Brief Narrative on James M. Pugh (1665-1724)

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15 8:03 AM
      I have read that James M. Pugh (1665-1724) came to this country in
      1682. He arrived at Penn's Landing aboard the ship "Welcome." As a
      very young man, he was a part of the "first wave" of immigrants to
      William Penn's new colony. His father, Evan Pugh (??-1704) arrived
      in PA in 1698 with the third wave of immigrants to Pennsylvania. It
      is said that he was indentured as a servant to Edward Bevan, who
      sponsored his trip, for seven years. He became a surveyor, however,
      in 1685. James M. Pugh married Joan Price on April 23, 1692. She
      was also born in Wales but the marriage occurred in Radnor, PA.

      My file shows that James and Joan had seven children. At least two
      of his sons followed him in the surveying trade and mapped the land
      from New York to Georgia for the primary purpose of laying out roads
      to connect the colonies and improve trade routs. I believe the two
      sons were James Pugh II (1695-1768) and Thomas Pugh, Sr. (1703-
      1797). With their knowledge of geography and available land, James
      and Thomas migrated south. James Pugh II died in GA and Thomas died
      in Chatham County, NC.

      According to my file, it appears as though James and Joan's other
      children remained near Philadelphia. The next couple of generations
      spread out a little, some moving to nearby New York and New Jersey
      and others moving as far west as Pittsburgh. At the same time, the
      southern branch of this line was also growing and spreading out.
      The James M. Pugh line was predominantly of the Quaker faith. Fast
      forward to the 1850's and several of this line were now in OH and IN
      and other points west. Some came straight across PA and others came
      back north from the Carolinas and GA.

      This is an extremely simplified description of the migration
      patterns of this line but it shows how important DNA testing can be
      in assisting researchers of Pugh lines that are not well documented
      through church, land and census records. If anyone can offer
      corrections or add to the story as I have presented it, please feel
      free to do so. This is a very interesting line with many very
      interesting individuals.

      Thank you,
      Jeff Pugh