Re: [Tracing_Pugh_Origins] additional DNA tests & recruiting

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2007
      I had the deep ancestry testing done and it confirmed that I was I1a.  All it did for me was turn my red I1a in our chart to green.  You will not really learn anything more by having the test done.  With regard to additional testing, in your case I would recommend waiting to do the remaining 38-67 markers until you have a close match.  It would not hurt to do the additional testing but, at this point, you will not learn anything more.  What you need now is a close match that will help you in your research.

      In your situation, I would not bother with testing your nephews at this time.  Testing your nephews may become useful as your lineage grows and you want to confirm your father's DNA.  A much better use of funds would be to find some living representatives of your line who connect 4-6 generations ago.  A much more challenging task!!  It is possible though.  I have found a number of living representatives of specific Pugh lines but I have not been able to convince them to test.  They are not genealogists so I am sure they think I am crazy.

      You may suspect that other Pugh lines that were in the same places as your ancestors are related.  It would be productive to find living representatives of those lines as well.  We are just now scratching at the tip of the iceberg.  I am hoping to see our project grow at a much faster pace in the near future.  With all of us shaking the bushes we should see some real progress soon.

      All I can say is hang in there.

      Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:33 PM
      Subject: [Tracing_Pugh_Origins] additional DNA tests & recruiting

      FTDNA predicted our haplogroup as I1A - I can get additional testing
      to confirm this. Is there a need for additional testing of any kind
      at this time?

      Also, I read over the recruiting info that Daniela sent - I have 2
      nephews (a different brother is their father) that I might be able to
      test if needed. Are they too close to the bloodline of my brother
      that has already tested for it to be of any help?

      Unfortunately, I don't know any other male Pughs from my family tree
      but once I start out on the collateral lines I hope to find some.

      Ruth