Pugh's of Orange County,VA

  • sharon
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
      Hi,

      My name is Sheri and I am new to the group, thank you for letting me
      join.
      I am interested in any information on a William Pugh, that in 1769
      bought 100 acres from Mary and Ephraim Seamonds [Simmons]. I know that
      Mary's father was William Pugh, but was wondering if this were him or a
      brother of Mary's or possibly a nephew.
      I am also searching for a connection to a William Pugh, a Tuscaroran
      chieftain listed on the Indian Woods, Bertie County, NC land lease of
      1767.
      Any and all help would be truly be appreciated.

      Thank you,

      Sheri
    • Tamara Mitchell
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
        Welcome Sheri,

        The NC line of Pugh's in not of my line, but hopefully some of this
        will help.

        A history book of the Tuscarora Confederacy called:
        < Onkwehonweh-the first people-Tuscarora
        has a wealth of historical information including maps, deeds,
        villages, names, languages, and where the Tuscarora are today has
        recently been written by Marilyn Livingston. It is for sale for $35.00
        plus $6.00tax shipping and handling. To order send check or money
        order to:

        Marilyn Mejorado-Livingston
        Southern Band Tuscarora Tribe
        832 US 13N
        Windsor NC 27983

        In book L-2 page 56 of Bertie County Deeds. James Allen,John Wiggins,
        BillyGeorge,Snifnose George, BileCainCharles Cornelius,Thomas
        Blount,John Rogers,George Blount,Wineoak Charles,Bille Basket, Bile
        Owens, Lewis Tuffdick, Isaac Miller, Harry Samuel,Bridgers Thomas,
        Seniear Thomas Howell, Bille Sockey, Bille Carelius, John Seniear,
        Thomas Baskett, John Cain, Billy Blount, Tom Jack, John Litewood,
        Billy Roberts, James Mitchell, Capt. Joe, William Pugh, as chieftans
        of the Tuskarora Indians, to Robert Jones Jr. attorney of NC
        province,& William Williams & Thomas Pugh gent. of same. 12 jul 1766.
        1800 pounds proclamation. 8000 acreas on north side of Roanoke River,
        joining Deep Creek ( Called Falling Run). Wit. David Standley, Samuel
        Wynnes, James Bate. Sept Ct 1767

        You would most definitely have to study the families of listed below
        and gather as much information on the deeds of these people as I have
        learned that neighbors many times married neighbors, which I am sure
        we all know.

        Thomas Pugh, descendant of Francis Pugh

        Thomas Whitmel who was an Indian trader, who married Elizabeth Bryan,
        daughter of Lewis and Elizabeth Bryan.

        The Blount/West families.

        Thomas & Elizabeth Bryan Whitmell's son, Thomas d. 1779 married
        Penelope Pugh 1768.

        The will of Thomas Whitmel:

        North Carolina Land Grant Book 4- #22

        Will of THOMAS WHITMELL Dated 26 Nov 1735/ Probated Dec 1735
        Son Thomas Whitmell plantation where I now live on the Kesia River,
        containing 360a as by reference to a deed to me by Gardner, also 320a
        on Buck Swamp, part of a survey by patent dated Apr 1726, half my stock
        of horses, etc., negroes Jupiter, Catoe, Peter and half of the stock
        used in Indian trade.
        Wife Elizabeth Whitmell all household furniture.
        Dau Martha Whitmell 15# at her marriage or when she is of age, also
        half my trading stock used in the Indian trade, as well as the labor
        of negroes Mingoe, Bess, and Peter.
        Second son Lewis Whitmel 150A adj land devised to my son Thomas and
        lands of John Gray, 320 A on Buck Swamp, being the other half of land
        devised to my son Thomas, also negro Bristoll, one fourth of the
        increas of negro Bess and one fourth part of negroes Phillis and Penney.
        Infant son who shall be baptized William one fourth part of negro Bess
        and Negroes Phillis and Penney.
        Dau Elizabeth Pollock one shilling
        Dau Sarah Whitmell 30# wf negro Bess Dautha martha negro Mingo, one
        fourth of negroes Phillis and Penney, one fourth of the increas of Bess.
        Dau Mary Whitmell the first child of Negro Bess and one fourth part of
        negroes Phillis and Penney
        Ex: wife, son Thomas, John Gray
        Wit: Simon Gale, Gerrard Van Upstall, Mary Cannady

        This Whitmell was an Indian trader.

        Ref: The Whitmell Family Bible, 1726 from Historic Woodville
        Whitmel of Bertie, Halifax & Warren Co by Lyndon H Hart III in
        Gammon's ENCF Vol 1.

        Since you had this information, I am sure that much of this is mundane
        to you, but it caught my eye as if you will notice in the above
        information the name of another Chiefton, Bridgers Thomas, which I am
        very curious about, as I descend from Lawrence Bridger of Slimbridge,
        Glouchester England, thru his grandson Joseph Bridger of Isle of Wight
        VA, who came to Virginia in 1652 under the auspices of Col. Nathaniel
        Bacon. Recently he was exhumed and a facial mask is being made for an
        exhibit at the Smithsonian and National Museum of Natural History:
        "Written in Bones: Life and Death in the Colonial Chesapeake" It shall
        be interesting! My direct paternal families (Bridges (they lost the r)
        and Thomas families) settled in Trigg Co. Kentucky and that is where I
        inherited my proven Lewis Pugh line.

        But back to your plight,

        1766 - Tuscarora Land Lease (Bertie County Reservation)
        Allen, James
        Baskett, Billy
        Baskett, Thomas
        Blount, Billy
        Blount, George
        Blount, Thomas
        Bridgers, Harry Samuel
        Cain, Billy
        Cain, John
        Captain Toe
        Charley, Wineoak
        Cornelius, Billy
        Cornelius, Charles
        Dennis, Billy
        George, Billy
        George, Snip Nose
        Hewit, Thomas
        Jack, Tom Lightwood, John
        Miller, Isaac
        Mitchell, Billy
        Mitchell, James
        Netop, Billy
        Owen, Billy
        Owens
        Pugh, William
        Roberts, Billy
        Rogers, John
        Senaca, John
        Senaca, Thomas
        Sockey, Billy
        Taylor, William
        Tuffdick, Lewis
        Walker, John
        Wiggins, John
        1777 - Tuscarora Land Leases (from Bertie Deed Book "M")
        Basket, William
        Baskett, Sarah
        Baskett, Thomas
        Blount, Edward
        Blount, William
        Bridgers, Samuel (hmmm..)
        Caine, William
        Charles, Wineoak
        Hicks, Sarah
        Mitchell, James
        Owens, John
        Pugh, William
        Randle, John Roberts, William
        Rodgers, John
        Smith, Benja.
        Smith, John
        Smith, Molley
        Smith, Thomas
        Stone, Zedekiah
        Tufdick, Lewis
        Tuffdick, Whitmell
        Tuffdick, Whitmell
        Watt & Gibson
        West

        http://www.coastalcarolinaindians.com/research/surnames.htm#1766Tuscarora_Land_Lease

        (From Deeds of Bertie County 1772-1785, Abstracted by Stephen Bradley, Jr.

        296-(314) Articles of agreement between WHITMELL TUFDICK, WILLIAM
        ROBERTS, WILLIAM CAIN, WILLIAM BLOUNT, TOM SMITH, JOHN SMITH, & LEWIS
        TUFDICK of Bertie Co., chieftans of the Tuscarora Indians on Roanoke
        River to ZEDEKIAH STONE of same. 10 Feb 1777. Sd chieftains were
        desirous that sd STONE should clear land, joining Coniack Neck, TITUS
        EDWARDS, Cesars Island, the river. Sd STONE agrees not to disturb
        JOSEPH LLOYD & THOMAS SMITH & SARAH HICKS. Sd STONE will be permittd
        to occupy the sd land for the space of 99 years. SIGNED BY: William
        Basket, Molley Smith, Benja. Smith, Sarah Hicks, Sarah Baskett, Watt &
        Gibson, Whitmell Tuffdick, Thomas (x) Smith, John Rodgers, Samuel
        Bridgers, William Roberts, Wineoak Charles, ZEdekiah Stone, John
        Owens, Thomas Baskett, William (x) Caine, Edward (x) Blount, John (x)
        Smith, James (x) Mitchell, John (x) Randle, William (x) Blount, Lewis
        (x) Tufdick, William (x) Pugh, West Whitmell (x) Tuffdick. WITNESSES:
        Thomas Pugh, Jr., Titus Edwards, Thos. Pugh, Sr.. May Court 1777. John
        Johnston Clerk of Court

        297-(315) Whitmell Tufdick, William Roberts, William Blount, Lewis
        Tufdick, John Randal, William Pugh, James Mitchel, Winoak Charles,
        William Basket, John Owens, Thomas Roberts, Walter Gibson, Billy Cane
        chieftans of the Tuscarora Indians in Bertie County to Thomas Pugh Sr.
        of same. 28 May 1777. The lease for 99 years @ 8 pounds per year of
        100 acres, joining Black Gut Neck on Town Swamp, Roanoke River. Signed
        by: Billy (x) Blunt, Wineoak (x) Charles, Ben (x) Smith, Walter (X)
        Gibson, Thomas (X) Roberts, John (X) Ra nndel, Whitmell (x) Tuffdick,
        Billey (X) Cane, Lewis (x) Tufdick, Billey (x) Baskit, William (x)
        Pugh, Williams (x) Roberts, James (x) Mitchell. WITNESSES: Zedekiah
        Stone Jr., Thomas Whitmell Jr., May Ct 1777. John Johntston CJC

        298-(316) Whitmell Tufdick, Wineoak Charles Jr., Billie Roberts, Lewis
        Tufdick, West Tufdick, Billie Blunt Sr., Billie Blunt Jr., John
        Rodgers, John Smith, Billie Pugh, Billie Baskit, John Hicks, Samuel
        Bridgers, John Owens, James Mitchell, Isaac Cornelius, Tom Tomas, &
        Walter Gibson, chieftans of the Tuskarora Indians to Thomas Pugh,
        Willie Jones & William Williams. 2 Dec 1775. For the yearly rent of 80
        Duffield Blankets, 80 Oznatrig Shirts, 80 prs of boots, 50 pounds of
        powder & 150 pounds of shot. 2000 acres which was part of the land
        called the Indian Lands, joining Town Swamp, the old path that leads
        to Unarowick Swamp, James Wiggins, Unrinta Road, Quitana Swamp,
        Rocquist, Jones, Williams, Pugh, excepting 300 acres Watking now
        tends. Signed by: Bille(x)Cain, John Hicks, John Rogers, John(X)Owen,
        James(X)Hicks, Bille(x)Smith, Bille(x)Mitchell, Billie(x)Pugh,
        Wineoak(x)Chalres, James(X) Mitchell, Bille(X)Blunt, Jr.,
        Saml(X)Bridgers, Tom Roberts...

        Stated at http://www.poortown.com/fronts/106frontpage

        "It is interesting to note that a John Cale sold land to Thomas W.
        Pugh about the year of 1787. Thomas Pugh is noted for his transactions
        with the Tuscarora Indians of Bertie County during the 1700s. He
        became one of the largest property owners in the county acquiring
        Indian land."

        "From Sketches of Pitt County, a brief history of the county
        1704-1910. King, Henry Thomas. (c) 1911 Edwards & Broughton Printing
        Company, Raleigh, N.C.. (pp 104-105)

        CHAPTER TWENTY.

        Third Census—Yankee Hall—Second War With England—Two Pitt Companies at
        Beacon Island—Their Pay-roll—Retreat and Amusing Incident—Fourth
        Census—Occupations—Bridge at Greenville—Greenville Academies—Fifth
        Census—John Joyner.

        The Census of 1810 showed little increase of Pitt's population from
        1800, it being only 85, the total being 9,169.

        About this time some New England tradesmen settled on Tar River at
        Yankee Hall, and it soon became a center of business for much of the
        country to the north thereof.

        There is little record of the men of Pitt in the second war with
        England. North Carolina being far removed from the main seats of the
        war, perhaps not so many of her men took part, and of those who did,
        their history is lost in that of others. North Carolina was invaded in
        1813 and in response to Governor Hawkins' call for troops, two
        companies from Pitt, about 125 men and officers, were enlisted.

        Of one company, George Eason was Captain; Sumner Adams, Lieutenant;
        Samuel Albritton, Ensign; John Allen, Peter Adams, Josiah Daniel,
        Moses Hatton, Sergeants; Thomas Adams, Levin Hall, Samuel Johnston,
        George Knox, Corporals. Of the second, Samuel Vines was Captain; Isaac
        Downs, Lieutenant; William Rountree, Ensign; Benjamin Bell, Elias
        Carr, Willie Clements, Sergeants; Benjamin Johnston, Levy Pearscen,
        Nathaniel Pettit, Moses Turnage, Corporals.

        The field officers were, Hardy Smith, Brigadier General; Howell Cobb,
        Lieutenant Colonel Commander;* William Pugh*, Second Major.

        The privates were, of Captain Eason's Company: Ambrose Arnold, Watson
        W. Anderson, Levin Adams, William W. Andrews, John Baldwin, Miles
        Britton, Noah Buck, William Bryan, Noah Beddard, Henry Barnhill,
        Jonathan Briley, William Brooks, Reading Bell, Stephen Careney, Willie
        Bell, William Cammel, Charles Crisp, William Crawford, William Downs,
        Jesse Dudley, Frederick Dinkins, William Elks, Henry Fulford, Stephen
        Fulford, Reuben Flake, William Galloway, William Highsmith, Thomas
        Holliday, Matthew James, George Killebrew, William Little, Benjamin
        Leggett, Josiah Mills, William Manning, Allen Moore, Asia Moore,
        William Moore, Noah Magowns, William Mitchel, Samuel Nobles, Alfred
        Nelson, William J. Parkston, James Robertson, Reuben Rollins, Richard
        Eaton Rivers, Henry Smith, Luther Spain, Benjamin Shivers, John Tison,
        Jacob Turner, Isaac Turner, William Teal, Willoughby Whitehurst,
        Garison Williams, Solomon Whichard, Calven Herrington."

        Jeff once mentioned that this line was fairly well known, it is..until
        you try to find your part of it.

        Documentation of an earlier deed:
        Tuscarora Chief William "Billy" Pugh is issued land grant on
        Saddletree swamp in northern part
        of Robeson County. (Issued May 9, 1753, North Carolina Land Grant,
        Bladen County, File #415,
        Book2.)

        And earlier yet of Daniel of Nansemond:

        Volume 1, Pages 146-147

        Att a Councill held at Yorke Court house
        Jan'r'y 26'th 1690 [1690-91]

        Present

        The R't Hono'ble Francis Nicholson Esq'r
        their Ma's Lieu't Gov'r

        Nath'll Bacon Esq're William Cole Esq're Sec:
        Coll John Page

        M'r William Duckingfield an Inhabitant of North Carolina ac-
        quainting this Board that about the beginning of this Month Eight or
        ten of the Kings and Great Men of the Tuskaroro Indians Complained
        to him that two of their Indians were wanting, and they Imagined the
        English had killed them, but a Maherin Indian being present told them
        that Dan'll Push of Nansimond County in this Government had Sent
        them to Barbados, on which they threatened Revenge, but on his the
        said Duckingfields informing them, that would Cause the English to
        make Warr against them, and it would be better for them to goe to
        the Gov'r of this Place and be would inquire into it and doe them Jus-
        tice, they Seemed Satisfied therewith and said they would goe to the
        Gov'r when the Weather was Warmer, and the said Duckingfield fur-
        ther declaring that being at Nansimond he was Credibly Informed that
        said Pugh had Sent four of the Tuskaroro Indians out of this Country,
        two in one Prout to Barbados, and two in one Tyler to one of the other
        Islands on Consideration whereof Coll John Lear is desired to inquire
        into the same, and take the Examinations and depositions of Such per-
        sons as are knowing therein, and return them to the Councill at James
        Citty the 18'th Feb'r'y next, and that he ord'r the said Push to make his
        personall appearance at the said Councill.

        . . .

        I hope some of this has helped! My question is, it appears you have
        two Pugh lines???? If so, I hope you will share more info with us.
        And my second question is, do you have any living Pugh's that would
        consider doing a Pugh DNA kit, from either line as the NC is not
        counted here? Soon...hopefully.

        Thanks for joining us and opening my eyes a little bit more. My best
        wishes in your search and I hope that there are some here who can help
        you advance in your quest!

        Tamara Bridges Mitchell

        --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "sharon" <sherilou7@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > My name is Sheri and I am new to the group, thank you for letting me
        > join.
        > I am interested in any information on a William Pugh, that in 1769
        > bought 100 acres from Mary and Ephraim Seamonds [Simmons]. I know that
        > Mary's father was William Pugh, but was wondering if this were him or a
        > brother of Mary's or possibly a nephew.
        > I am also searching for a connection to a William Pugh, a Tuscaroran
        > chieftain listed on the Indian Woods, Bertie County, NC land lease of
        > 1767.
        > Any and all help would be truly be appreciated.
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Sheri

      • Daniela Moneta
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007

          Hi Sheri,

          I have information about the William Pugh who received land from Mary and Ephraim Seamonds [Simmons]. Is this your family? Please tell me how you are connected. You said that Mary’s father was William Pugh. Where did you find that? I know that Mary was previously married to John Pugh but didn’t know that Pugh was also her maiden name. I look forward to hearing from you.

          We have a DNA group on this line. John Pugh was a son of Lewis Pugh who immigrated to Virginia in 1695 from Wales.

          Sincerely,

          Daniela

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        • Tamara Mitchell
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
[...]

            McIlwaine
            1925:157-158

            Thomas Tyler, Indians & Daniel Pugh

            Deposition

            19 Feb. 1690/1
            James City

            Indians on ship

            Thomas Tyler, Master of the Brigantine Swallow of Barbadoes:
            He carried out two Indians last year as per instructions and bill of
            Lading signed to Daniel Pugh of Nansimond County for these Indians.
            Pugh has absconded and sheriff is to find & take him into custody.

            The above can be found at this url only where it was stated by
            McIlwaine in 1925 pages 146-147 and 157-158.

            http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/jame1/moretti-langholtz/chap10a.htm
            . . .

            I hope some of this has helped! My question is, it appears you have
            two Pugh lines???? If so, I hope you will share with us. I believe
            Ephraim Seamonds and Mary Pugh might be of our Lewis Pugh line. And my
            second question is, do you have any living Pugh's that would consider
            doing a Pugh DNA kit, from either line as the NC line is not counted
            here? Soon...hopefully.

            Thanks for opening my eyes a little bit more. My best wishes in your

            wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > My name is Sheri and I am new to the group, thank you for letting me
            > join.
            > I am interested in any information on a William Pugh, that in 1769
            > bought 100 acres from Mary and Ephraim Seamonds [Simmons]. I know that
            > Mary's father was William Pugh, but was wondering if this were him or a
            > brother of Mary's or possibly a nephew.
            > I am also searching for a connection to a William Pugh, a Tuscaroran
            > chieftain listed on the Indian Woods, Bertie County, NC land lease of
            > 1767.
            > Any and all help would be truly be appreciated.
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > Sheri

          • sharon
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
              Tamara,

              Thank you for such a warm welcome and all of this wonderful
              information. I was in touch with Marilyn Livingston a few years ago,
              she told me when the Tuscarora were christened they dropped their
              indian names and took on the surnames of friends or neighbors.
              Seeing how the names go back and forth, you keep thinking , they have
              to be related, but sometimes I'm learning, they aren't.
              I really don't think I'm going to be very much help here, I only
              have Pugh's back in the 1700's, if indeed the information that I have
              is correct. I've been trying to tie the William Pugh [so called
              father of Mary] to the Tuscarora William Pugh. I may prove it or I
              may disprove it, that's why I asked to join the group for some help.
              That's exciting about your Lawrence Bridger, when it's completed
              are you going to visit the Smithsonian? Have you checked the Lost
              Colony list, to see if any of your surnames are on it? Maybe Samuel
              and Thomas Bridgers are related, ya never know. I have five of the
              names on the list, Pugh, Thomas, Wood, Simmons and Johnson. Thomas is
              my maiden name, I have very little on it, I have mostly my father's
              mother's line.
              I can't thank you enough.

              Sheri

              -- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Tamara Mitchell"
              <mistamar2u@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > My name is Sheri and I am new to the group, thank you for
              letting me
              > > join.
              > > I am interested in any information on a William Pugh, that in
              1769
              > > bought 100 acres from Mary and Ephraim Seamonds [Simmons]. I
              know that
              > > Mary's father was William Pugh, but was wondering if this were
              him or a
              > > brother of Mary's or possibly a nephew.
              > > I am also searching for a connection to a William Pugh, a
              Tuscaroran
              > > chieftain listed on the Indian Woods, Bertie County, NC land
              lease of
              > > 1767.
              > > Any and all help would be truly be appreciated.

            • sharon
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
                Daniela,

                I'm descended from Mary Pugh and Ephraim Seamonds[Simmons] through
                their son Ephraim Seamonds, JR. and his wife Frances Johnson. Then
                I'm directly descended from three of their daughters: Lucy Simmons,
                who married Zacharia Wood,Sr.; Mary Simmons, who married Harrison
                Wood,Sr.; and Susan[Suky] Simmons who married William Sullivan ,
                their daughter Nancy Sullivan married William Garrison, their
                daughter Frances Ella Garrison married my gggrandfather Jacob N Wood,
                they were second cousins.My descent comes from their son Joseph Wood
                and Susan Ella Brady to my grandmother Emma Virginia Wood. It gets a
                bit confusing.
                My information came from a Wood and Seamonds family book, I did not
                do the leg work here it was a lot of genealogist and familly members.
                In the book it states that Ephraim Seamonds,Sr. married Mary Pugh 13
                April 1740 in St Paul's Parish, VA. I just noticed this, they were
                married in April of 1740 and their first child[Elizabeth Seamonds]
                was born 18 July 1740. There must have been a little hanky panky
                going on there . Anyway, what I was getting too, is that it states
                William Pugh as the father of Mary Pugh. I've never heard anything
                about Mary being married before, Ephraim Sr was suppose to be born
                abt 1718, he was probably about 22 years old when they married.
                Where did you get your information from? Is it documented? I have
                a list of sources here, but it's for the whole book, I've been
                considering writing to the church who published this book and see if
                I can write to the person who found the Pugh information, especially
                after today.
                Please let me know what you think, if we're tying up the Pugh group
                with too much other surnames, you can email me direct
                sherilou7@... or sherilou7@...

                Thank you for your help.

                Sheri

                --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Daniela Moneta"
                <dmoneta@...> wrote:

                > Hi Sheri,
                >

                > I have information about the William Pugh who received land from
                Mary and
                > Ephraim Seamonds [Simmons]. Is this your family? Please tell me how
                you are
                > connected. You said that Mary's father was William Pugh. Where did
                you find
                > that? I know that Mary was previously married to John Pugh but
                didn't know
                > that Pugh was also her maiden name. I look forward to hearing from
                you.

                > We have a DNA group on this line. John Pugh was a son of Lewis Pugh
                who
                > immigrated to Virginia in 1695 from Wales.
                >

                > Sincerely,
                >

                > Daniela

                > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                10/4/2007
                > 8:59 AM

              • Daniela Moneta
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 5, 2007

                  Hi Sheri,

                  We have 24 men in our Pugh DNA group that descend from the same line as William Pugh. William’s father was John Pugh who was one of five sons of Lewis Pugh from Wales who immigrated to Virginia in 1695. This information has been documented. I used this family for my certification paper to become a Certified Genealogist. I wrote a lineage genealogy on Lewis Pugh born about 1670 in Wales and his descendants. The paper traces my line which descends from Lewis Pugh’s third son, Henry Pugh; so it just touches briefly on the other sons of Lewis.  Here is what little we know about John Pugh, the eldest son of Lewis and Ann Pugh:

                  Baptismal records for the children of Lewis and Ann Pugh were from George Harrison Sanford King, The Registers of North Farnham Parish, 1663-1814, and Lunenburg Parish, 1783-1800, Richmond County, Virginia (Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1986), 152.

                  i.      John Pugh was baptized 29 April 1704 in Richmond County and was believed to have died between 1734 and 1738 in Wales.[1] Research on locating possible descendants of John Pugh and his next younger brother David Pugh is ongoing.[2] It is speculated that John married Mary [--?-]. They are believed to have had the following children; (a) William Pugh born sometime before his father sailed for Wales in 1731, who married Mary [--?--]; and (b) John Pugh born before 1731 when his father sailed for Wales, and died before 26 March 1827 in Nelson County, Virginia. He married Ann Reams of Amelia County.

                  Sheri, I did not do any other research on John Pugh beyond the two paragraphs above. Other professional researchers have however worked on the John Pugh line and have been trying to sort out the children he left behind. It is believed that John and Mary (your ancestor) had another son named Willoughby. I am not sure if there were any daughters. Anyway, John Pugh left his family to go to Wales with his father Lewis about 1731 to collect an inheritance but they never returned to America. This is documented in court records in Richmond County. There is, I believe, documentation in Wales that Lewis died sometime before 1740. One of the men in our DNA group has done the research in Wales on Lewis Pugh and shared it with us. Lewis’s second son, David Pugh, was then given Power-of-Attorney by the family in Virginia and sent to Wales to collect the inheritance but he never returned either.

                  Ephraim Seamonds, Sr. appears in records in Richmond County where the Pugh family lived. For example, Deeds 9:561. Ephraim Seamans of Lunenburg Parish, Richmond County, Virginia (Jun 4 1739) to John McKonno . . . 50 acres . . Totusky Creek.  The Pugh family lived on Totusky Creek. Then 13 April 1740, in Stafford & King George Counties, Virginia, Mary Pew married Ephraim Simmons.  And, in 1749, Caroline County, VA., Ephrim Simons is appointed guardian to Wm. Pew. On 21 November 1769, in Orange County, VA 15:166-167, Ephraim Semands grants William Pugh of Caroline County 100 acres of land.

                  Anyway, that is a little of the picture regarding William Pugh’s relationship to his mother Mary and his step-father Ephraim Seamonds. Right now we are trying to prove with DNA testing that Willoughby Pugh was a brother of William and John Pugh. We have a four men who are descendant of John Pugh who has been DNA tested and eight men who descend from Willoughby Pugh.

                  Good luck in your research,

                  Daniela

                  [1] Information regarding his probable death was from Kline O. Pugh.

                  [2] This research has been funded by Dr. V. Watson Pugh since late 2003 when he hired Helen F.M. Leary, CG, to research his ancestry. One of the objectives of his commission to Ms. Leary was to supply definitive proof if he was a descendant of Willoughby Pugh, son of Lewis Pugh. Four reports from Helen Leary were shared by Dr. Pugh with Daniela Moneta on 8 May 2005. Currently, Dr. Pugh has since hired ProGenealogists, Inc. to continue this research.

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                • sharon
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 10, 2007
                    Daniela,

                    I guess the magic word here is "speculated", to me, that means keep
                    an open mind and an open eye out for other information that I may not
                    have normally thought about, unless you have the date and place that
                    John was suppose to have married Mary. I'm not saying it is wrong,
                    I'm just saying there may be other possibilities. It's times like
                    this, that I wish we could really be time travelers to find out what
                    was really going on. hehe
                    Ephraim did sell 50 acres in Richmond Co. to John McKennie on 4 June
                    1739, this was part of a tract of land granted to Edward Lewis and
                    purchased by Joseph Seamonds, [Ephraim's father]that Ephraim had
                    inherited.
                    Daniela, I don't understand, why wouldn't all of Mary's children,
                    be living with her? Who raised John son of John and Mary? Mary and
                    Ephraim had nine children together. whew!, I can't imagine what meals
                    were like with that many children running around.
                    Anyway I apologize for all of the questions and appreciate the
                    information. Good luck with your DNA testing, I'm waiting for my
                    father's test results as part of the Lost Colony.[my Thomas line]
                    In my quest if I find anything one way or the other, I'll let you
                    know, please do the same.

                    <dmoneta@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Sheri,
                    >

                    > We have 24 men in our Pugh DNA group that descend from the same
                    line as
                    > William Pugh. William's father was John Pugh who was one of five
                    sons of
                    > Lewis Pugh from Wales who immigrated to Virginia in 1695. This
                    information
                    > has been documented. I used this family for my certification paper
                    to become
                    > a Certified Genealogist. I wrote a lineage genealogy on Lewis Pugh
                    born
                    > about 1670 in Wales and his descendants. The paper traces my line
                    which
                    > descends from Lewis Pugh's third son, Henry Pugh; so it just
                    touches briefly
                    > on the other sons of Lewis. Here is what little we know about John
                    Pugh,
                    > the eldest son of Lewis and Ann Pugh:
                    >

                    > Baptismal records for the children of Lewis and Ann Pugh were from
                    George
                    > Harrison Sanford King, The Registers of North Farnham Parish, 1663-
                    1814, and
                    > Lunenburg Parish, 1783-1800, Richmond County, Virginia (Easley,
                    South
                    > Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1986), 152.
                    >

                    > i. John Pugh was baptized 29 April 1704 in Richmond County and
                    was
                    > believed to have died between 1734 and 1738 in Wales.HYPERLINK \l
                    > "BM__ftn1"[1] Research on locating possible descendants of John
                    Pugh and his
> [...]
                    > Pugh.
                    >

                    > Good luck in your research,
                    >

                    > Daniela
                    >

                    > _____
                    >
                    > HYPERLINK \l "BM__ftnref1"[1] Information regarding his probable
                    death was
                    > from Kline O. Pugh.
                    >
                    > HYPERLINK \l "BM__ftnref2"[2] This research has been funded by Dr.
                    V. Watson
                    > Pugh since late 2003 when he hired Helen F.M. Leary, CG, to
                    research his
                    > ancestry. One of the objectives of his commission to Ms. Leary was
                    to supply
                    > definitive proof if he was a descendant of Willoughby Pugh, son of
                    Lewis
                    > Pugh. Four reports from Helen Leary were shared by Dr. Pugh with
                    Daniela
                    > Moneta on 8 May 2005. Currently, Dr. Pugh has since hired

                    10/4/2007
                    > 8:59 AM

                  • Daniela Moneta
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007

                      Hi Sheri,

                      That is a ton of research on John Pugh, Jr. who died in Nelson County, VA in 1827. We have four men in our DNA group that descend from him. We just don’t have anyone who descends from John Pugh, Jr’s brother William, the person you mentioned in your previous email. We would love to find someone who descends from William. If you have any more research on him could you share it with us? Maybe we can trace it to a living male who would be willing to join our DNA project.

                      Thanks,

                      Daniela

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.