Re: [SPAM][Tracing_Pugh_Origins] Dorothy Pugh-Carsten DNA project

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 24, 2007
      Hi Vivian,

      Thank you for your comments and the very interesting link.  To answer your question about a Wales Project, Janet Crain started one several months ago.  A few of our participants have also joined Janet's Wales/Cymru DNA Project.  She also has a Yahoo discussion group.  The links to her main Project page and her Yahoo group site are as follows:

      It is interesting to see how closely the DNA matches are for different surnames.  One can see how DNA will open new doors into our deep ancestry.  As you indicate, this is particularly significant for those of Welsh descent and others who's (relatively recent) heritage involved the use of patronymic naming systems.

      Thanks again,

      Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:34 PM
      Subject: RE: [SPAM][Tracing_Pugh_Origins] Dorothy Pugh-Carsten DNA project

      Hello everyone,

      As each of my Pugh lines come through a female at some point,  I am always anxious to see new participants and would do cartwheels if we ever get an Ellis and Sinah Pugh descendent but Jeff's comments on finding "so" many different lines brought a flash of realization that the Pugh and anyone of true Welsh descent will have real problems because of the Welsh naming convention.  I do not know when exactly the practice of retaining a surname began or if it is worldwide, but the old practice of "Ap Hugh" or Ap Evan" being son of had to result in myriad of possibilities.  The male surname could change every generation.

      Here is a good explanation.

      http://wwwamlwchhi story.co. uk/data/welshsur names.htm

      I have seen references that as late as 1800 some were still using the old system, but I do not believe here in the states but I do believe the first generations in the 1600 may have used them.

      Are there any good projects going for "Welsh" research to see if there are genetic matches through all surnames?

      Vivian