William Newton Pugh

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2007
      Hi Amanda,

      I just approved your membership in Tracing Pugh Origins.  Sorry that we have to go through this step but lately we have been bombarded with some pretty offensive spam and it can only be stopped by having new members go through an approval process.  Anyway, thanks for joining.

      I am very interested in your Pugh line.  I have your William Newton Pugh in my database.  I was working on this branch a little less than a year ago with two other Pugh researchers.  I actually have Davis Jackson Pugh (b. Apr 30, 1828) as the father of William Newton.  I have George W. Pugh (Dec 19, 1805 - Jun 2, 1844) as his grandfather.  Most of what I have is based on census data.  I do not have 100% confidence in my information.  I would like to tell you a little bit about what I do know.  I am on the road right now so much of this will be from memory.

      George W. Pugh died in Hancock County, OH in 1828.  I have a copy of his will but there is not much there about his children.  No names anyway.  It does have some doctor bills and information that one could use to speculate on cause of death.  It appears as though he died as the result of an esophageal hemorrhage.  His wife, Margaret, ended up marrying the judge that presided over the estate settlement.  He was an older man and died within two years of their marriage.  She then married Morris Baker.  All of this was in Hancock and Hardin Counties, OH.

      I am not certain, but the other two genealogists and myself believe that George W. Pugh was the son of Hugh M. Pugh of what I call the Hugh Pugh line that grew out of what is now New Manchester, WV.  There is information on this line in the files area of the Tracing Pugh Origins site.  George died before his father's will that is on record was written.  There was an earlier will but no copies exist in the public record.  One of the researchers believes that George was listed in the earlier will of Hugh M. Pugh.

      It is interesting that Hugh M. Pugh had a son named Davis Jackson Pugh (b. Abt 1818) and the other Davis Jackson Pugh (b. 1828) appears in Hancock County, OH in the 1850 census.  This younger Davis Jackson, whom I currently have as the father to your William Newton Pugh, ended up in Richardson County, NE as a veterinarian.

      I am hoping that I am somewhat on the right track with this particular branch and I am very interested in gaining your input.  I have not found anything published on this branch and, as I said, most of my information comes from census data so the connections that I have made could very well be in error.  They do seem likely though given the dates, places and naming patterns.

      Jeff

    • snoopytales
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2007
        I understand the approval process. Thanks for trying to keep the
        spammers out!

        I honestly don't think that your information on William Newton Pugh
        is my same guy. I have my William Newton Pugh (1865-1932)...is this
        the info you have?

        Also, my grandmother is interested in the DNA testing! Her mother
        was Janie Pugh (1899-1993), a twin. Please let me know if the
        testing is still being done.

        Thanks,
        Amanda Hart
        amandahart@...

        --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Pugh"

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2007
          Amanda,

          You are correct.  I guess that there were two William Newton Pughs that were living at about the same time.  The William Newton that I am familiar with was  born on April 11, 1862 and died on March 13, 1939 in Barada County, NE.  Sorry about my confusion but what a coincidence!!  I figured that William Newton was a pretty uncommon name.

          Females can participate through the mt-DNA testing.  The mt-DNA test follows mother to daughter to granddaughter, etc. so it would not tell us anything about the male component in your line.  The mt-DNA test may or may not be helpful to you depending on what you are trying to accomplish.  If you are a direct female descendent of your grandmother, your mt-DNA would match hers and her mother's, Janie Pugh.  Since Janie did not receive a Y-chromosome from her father (only males get the Y) she could not have passed that information along to her ancestors.

          Thank you for your interest.

          xSent: Friday, August 03, 2007 5:25 PM
          Subject: [Tracing_Pugh_Origins] Re: William Newton Pugh

          amandahart@grandeco m.net