Re: [Tracing_Pugh_Origins] hello

  • Ipxcat@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 19, 2006
      In a message dated 11/19/2006 6:55:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, shannonthomure@... writes:
      your john and my peter were brother's,i think,so i believe we are cousins.my grandpa lloyd,had 2 brothers,one named gordon,and one steven.my sister's middle name is gordon as well. i guesss the family fondness for passing on family names has not changed!!do you know where in mcdonough county,illinois, hugh and
      I only know about John, who was born at Tomlinson's Run. He is buried in the Bardolph Cemetery.

       This as from his web page: (it did not copy well)

      Florence (Pugh) Falquet
           m: C. E. Falquet

      Orry Seymor Pugh     [go to his page]

      Frank Pugh
           m: Mayme McGirr
                  three children- Wayne, Gilbert and Winfred

      Elmazie (Pugh) Bell
           m: John Bell

      Jesse G. Pugh

      John R.Pugh

      James P.Pugh

      No additional information is known about Orry's siblings

      Obituary:

      John Pugh, one of Bardolph's most respected pioneer citizens, passed peacefully away at his home in this place at midnight on Monday, last. The deceased had suffered for years from rheumatism. Some ten months ago other complications set in since which time he had been confined to his home. For many long weeks he sat in a chair day and night, being unable to lie down. A few weeks prior to his death dropsical troubles set in which added to his discomforts. Then his heart and lungs became involved, increasing his sufferings to the utmost degree. Through all of these afflictions he bore up cheerfully and patiently, and was never heard to complain or repine. He was conscious up to within a few hours of his death and passed out of this life gently and peacefully.

      Funeral services will be conducted at the M. E. church in Bardolph on tomorrow, (Thursday) at 11 a.m. by Rev. J. C. Craine, pastor of that church, after which the remains will be interred in the Bardolph cemetery.

      John Pugh was born May 30, 1833, near Tomlinson's Run, close by Fairview

      There is no information about John's siblings in our records. We do know that he did move west with some siblings but that is as far as it goes.  The above is from www.pughfamily.net

    • shannon thomure
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 19, 2006
        hello gordon! thank you for your response! i will try the bardolph cemetary first.in the 1860 census,my peter was living in mcdonough county.as my mother died in 1974,i only have her note's,and my own research.mcdonough county,galesburg,bardstown,table grove,and beardstown are mentioned in her note's,as peter moved southward.he settled in east carondolet,illinois,and is buried on palmier hill,in columbia illinois.he was born in 1830,and died in 1891.have you ever heard of a jesse pugh from galesburg,illinois?he was mentioned by peter,in my mother's notes.just curious!! welcome to everyone,on this site!!! shannon

        Ipxcat@... wrote:
        In a message dated 11/19/2006 6:55:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, shannonthomure@ yahoo.com writes:
[...]

        Sponsored Link

      • nomogeopewz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 19, 2006
          Shannon, I just posted some information concerning the Pughtowns that I received in Ohio.  This information was compliled in the 1980s by Homer Pugh of California.  I don't know if Homer is still living, but he'd be proud to know his information is being distributed to Pugh researchers.  I don't find my family in this information, but I provide for all.  I also posted some pictures of a Moses Pugh family from Ohio.  I'd be interested to hear if this is anyone's ancestors.

          George Pugh
          Belleville, Illinois
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 20, 2006
            George,

            Thank you for putting up the files and photos. What a great addition
            to this site!! It looks like we have plenty of storage space for
            photos so I would encourage everyone to dig out some of those old
            pictures and get them up for us to view. I will do the same.

            Jeff
          • randall_pugh
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 4, 2006
              Were you referring to the old Pughtown just north west of
              Winchester, VA., that was later changed to Gainesboro?
              Randall

              --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Pugh"
              <jpughdog@...> wrote:

              > I sure would like to see a picture of that Pughtown sign. My
              grandfather used to talk about the Pughtown in WV but I always
              thought that he was kidding. Now I know that there were at least
              five Pughtowns around the country, probably more that I have not yet
              heard about. The one in Chester County, PA is still there as far as
              I know. It sure has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

              > I believe that any member can post a photo, file or link. If you
              have trouble, just let me know and I will try to help. Thanks.

              > Jeff

              Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yaho
              ogroups.com>

            • Ipxcat@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 4, 2006
                In a message dated 12/4/2006 9:52:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, randall_pugh@... writes:
                Were you referring to the old Pughtown just north west of
                Winchester, VA., that was later changed to Gainesboro?
                Randall
                The Pughtown that we have been referring to where my ggf grew up is in West VA and is now New Manchester.

                Gordon Pugh
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Hi Randall,

                  Actually I am interested in all of the Pughtowns. I am guessing that
                  my grandfather was referring to the Pughtown in Hancock County, WV.
                  That is where his g-grandfather was likely born. That Pughtown is now
                  known as New Manchester but I believe it was still Pughtown well into
                  the 1900's. The Pughtown that you mentioned is referenced in
                  the "Pugh I" file in the "Files" area. Homer refers to that one as
                  the third Pughtown. I believe the numbering Homer uses is supposed to
                  be chronological but there are/were other Pughtowns that he does not
                  mention. Anyway, the Pughtown that became Gainesboro is referenced on
                  the last page of the "Pugh I" file.

                  If anyone knows any of the history related to the Pughtowns, it would
                  be very interesting to me to learn more. I believe Homer talks about
                  four. I think I would like a Pughtown sign to plant in my front
                  yard. The neighbors probably would not appreciate it though.
                • Ipxcat@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 4, 2006
                    In a message dated 12/4/2006 10:29:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jpughdog@... writes:
                    known as New Manchester but I believe it was still Pughtown well into
                    the 1900's
                    It was Pughtown well past 1950

                    Gordon
                  • shannon thomure

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 7, 2006
                        The background on the old Pughtown near Winchester, VA can be found
                        in the book "Frederick County, Virginia...Settlement and Some First
                        Families of Back Creek Valley, 1730-1830" by Dr. Wilmer L. Kerns
                        1995. These were descendents of the Quaker, Ellis Pugh (1656-1718)

                        --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, shannon thomure

                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 8, 2006
                          Randall,

                          Thanks for the lead. I tried to find this on line today. It is not
                          available on Ancestry or any of the free genealogy sites. I found it
                          for sale in a few places. I expect that many genealogy libraries
                          would also have it. I do not get to the library much but when I do I
                          will try to get my hands on a copy to look at. It sounds like a very
                          good reference work from what I did find today.
                        • Daniela Moneta
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 9, 2006
                            Jeff,
                            Are you talking about the Kerns book on Frederick County, Virginia? He has written seven books on that county. There are 70 some libraries that own the one mentioned. I emailed the author some years ago about my Pugh family when I thought they were from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia but found no connection. Wilmer was very helpful and has researched this area for many years. He is familiar with the Pughs from this area.

                            By the way, anyone on this list who would like to know where a particular book is located, I have access to WorldCat a library database that can be searched by author, title, subject, etc. and tells in which libraries these books are located.
                            Daniela
                          • BIKEBEN@AOL.COM
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 9, 2006
                              Yes,

                              Is the book available in the Sacramento CA area.

                              Thanks

                              Ben M Pugh

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 9, 2006
                                Daniela,

                                Yes, I was referring to the book  "Frederick County, Virginia...Settleme nt and Some First Families of Back Creek Valley, 1730-1830" by Dr. Wilmer L. Kerns 1995 that Randall mentioned.  I live near Grand Rapids, MI.  Do you know if it is in one of the libraries in my area?  Thank you very much.