RE: [Tracing_Pugh_Origins] Recruiting

  • Vivian Markley
    Message 1 of 15 , May 13, 2007

      Yes, you are correct that Ruth Julien married Elijah Pugh is the daughter of Peter Jr. and Ruth Pugh.  She was the sister of my Grandfather Elihu Julien who was the son of Peter Julien Jr. and Ruth Pugh.  Elihu Julien came to Ohio with the Bush River group.  I have to admit I have a hard time keeping this group straight.  I cannot find a way to keep the Julien/Julian part of this sorted.  I like to keep it spelled the way it is on documents but it just keeps splitting the families apart.

      Yes, you are right I did not mean to say “Jesse”.  The Jesse Pugh that gives me fits is the Jesse Pugh who married Elizabeth Stewart daughter of Robert Stewart.  My Elihu Julien/Rhoda Coppock had a daughter Mary Ann who married Elijah Stewart from NC.  We are at a dead end with him but he may be part of the Robert Stewart family or at least a cousin.  To further confuse me, Elijah Pugh and Ruth Julien named on of their sons Elijah Stewart Pugh b 1812 Alabama .  So since Ruth Julien Pugh is a sister to my Grandfather Elihu Julien and my Elijah Stewart (Elihu’s son in law was born 1804), I have to wonder if these two Pugh families that married into the same Julien family are related and is there a “Elijah Stewart” somewhere that is the namesake for both of these boys.

      These Welsh are so confusing because even though they quit the practice of the Ap …. And began a more European method of surnames, they still used surnames as middle and first names a lot of the time.

      Vivian

      Message 2 of 15 , May 14, 2007
        I just posted two new files in a folder named "Chapman-Pugh
        Genealogy." The files are scans of a few pages out of Minnie May
        Pugh' book. I do this at the risk of being hammered by Jim. He has
        found numerous errors in Minnie May's work. Regardless, I remain a
        fan. She has certainly done quite a bit for Pugh genealogy and I know
        we all appreciate that. I will try to post more to that folder as I
        have the time. For now, the two sections are of the Stewart and
        Julian families.

        Jim, feel free to hammer away. Your comments will be helpful to
        those, like me, who have not done their homework.
      • Mark Pugh

          Message 4 of 15 , May 14, 2007
            The message that I was referring to is #112.  To jump to it, just go to the message page at our group, type in 112 in the message# box and hit go.  Jim has not commented yet on the sections that I just posted.

            Thanks,

            Message 5 of 15 , May 14, 2007
              Yes Mark !!

              I will have to review the pages that  Jeff posted and see if I can contribute again.  I have a lot of respect for Minnie May and her research.  As I have stated in many postings on this site and the other Pugh site, that she tried very hard to be correct for the 1940's & 50's but was limited in her ability to get it all right.

              It is our responsibility here in the early 2000's to help her by correcting what we know to be wrong, and enhancing her efforts from 50 to 60 years ago.  If you go to the other Pugh site and type in her name in the search box, you will see that not only I, but others have tried to cite corrections to her work.

              We owe it to her to "set the record" straight.

              Jim Pugh of the James M. Pugh, Sr line (adopted)   -

[...]

              Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!
            • Jim
              Message 6 of 15 , May 14, 2007
                Jeff:

                I am having trouble opening the:

                1)  Front Cover
                4)  Genealogy 8.pdf
                5)  Genealogy 055.pdf, and
                6)  Genealogy 120.pdf

                My "Adobe Reader" states:  The File is Damaged and could not be repaired.

                Do you know what is going on?  Is it my reader or are the files damaged?  Is anyone else having this problem, and if not, it may be my "yankee" computer up here in upper Michigan.

                Jim Pugh

                Message 7 of 15 , May 14, 2007
                  Hi Jim,

                  I knew you were out there somewhere. I have to apologize, some of the
                  files are quite large. The ones that you reference are all over
                  200kb. I just opened them all on my home computer without incident.
                  If you are on dial-up up there in God's country, that may have
                  something to do about it. If you are able to download any of them, I
                  suggest that you save them to your harddrive so you do not have to go
                  through it every time you want to view them.

                  The cover does not have any information on it other than the title and
                  the author's name. It is a nice color scan of the pretty, hard cloth
                  cover that I thought would be of interest to some. It is a monster at
                  800kb. If you are still having trouble, I can try to email them to you
                  directly but you may have the same problem. If I do this, you should
                  definitly save them to your harddrive and delete them from your on-line
                  mailbox.

                  I will try to post some information that you can sink your teeth into
                  tomorrow. So far, it has been mostly fluff. If anyone else is having
                  trouble with the downloading, please let us know. Thanks.

                  Jeff

                  --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <sibbert@...> wrote:

                  > Jeff:
                  >
                  > I am having trouble opening the:
                  >
                  > 1) Front Cover
                  > 4) Genealogy 8.pdf
                  > 5) Genealogy 055.pdf, and
                  > 6) Genealogy 120.pdf

                • Jim
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 15, 2007
                    Jeff:
                    I am on DSL but yesterday my "Adobe Reader" downloaded a new up-date and I feel that this might be my problem.  I also saw in the "tech section" of  the newspaper that going from Windows 98 to XP and back again to 98 can cause a "read problem".  I am on 98 up here, so could you send me by e-mail the others(4-5-6) that I indicated without the front cover?

                    We will see if that helps me.

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 15, 2007
                      They are on their way.