Re: Recruiting

  • jhargreaves2002
    Message 1 of 15 , May 13, 2007
      I am so disappointed that no one from Tom Sr's line has stepped
      forward to be tested.
      There are many of us out there.

      I wish my Mother hadn't been an only child.
      My Grandfather, Thomas DeWitt Pugh had a brother, Clifford (Cliff)
      Pugh. Unfortunately, he also had only one child, also a daughter.

      I have contacted male descendents of Tom Pugh Sr.
      He's the son of James M who moved from PA to NC via VA.
      I don't understand why more from our line don't test.
      It's a wonderful way to help further solidify our line.
      And easy!!

      We need to due this before we loose another generation.
      I know my forbearers would have wanted this.
      I wish I still had my Mother to share all my discoveries with.
      She was greatly interested in her Pugh heritage.
      And, very proud of it!

      I do this in her memory.

      Come on y'all & do it for all the Moms.
      Can you tell that I'm writing this on Mother's Day?

      Jane

      --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Pugh"
      <jpughdog@...> wrote:

      > Thank you very much Vivian,
      >
      > I wish I knew the answer to the recruiting problem. I have
      basically resigned myself to the fact that it will just take a long
      time to get started but, once people begin to see the benefits, it
      will take off like a rocket. Let's hope this will happen in our
      lifetime. It is not going to get any easier to trace back
      generations through conventional means and we are missing out on an
      opportunity to gain data before the pot is further stirred up by
      generational mutations and the migration patterns of our increasingly
      modern society. If I were a salesman rather than a scientist and
      engineer I may have more luck with recruiting. Unfortunately, I do
      not know how to sell. All I can do is inform.

      > With regard to the confusing connection, my information agrees
      completely with your summary of Ruth Pugh's descendancy. Ruth is of
      the Ellis and Sinah Pugh line. However, I have Ruth de St. Julien as
      the daughter of Peter de St. Julien, Jr. and Ruth Pugh, not as Peter,
      Jr.'s sister. Peter, Sr. was born in 1714 and Mary Beals (Bales) was
      born in 1715. Ruth de St. Julien was born in 1763. The children
      that I have for Peter, Sr. and Mary were born from 1738 to 1746.
      Ruth Pugh would have been about 19 years old when Ruth de St. Julien
      was born. I suppose either way is plausible. I wonder if there is
      primary source documentation for either? I have seen quite a bit
      written on the de St. Julien line but no primary sources.

      > We do not have a representative of the Ellis and Sinah line in our
      Project yet. We have two James M. Pugh representatives that match
      DNA and descent from sons of Elijah and Ruth (de St. Julien) Pugh.
      We know that both the Ellis and the James M. Pugh lines were in the
      same places at the same times. We do not yet have any proof (as far
      as I know) that the two lines were genetically related. This would
      be an interesting relationship to establish through DNA and try to
      prove through paper trail or a combination of paper trail and DNA.
      Like I said, I hope this happens in our lifetime.

      > I am assuming that your question regarding descendants of "Jesse"
      and Ruth Pugh was meant to read Peter, Jr. and Ruth Pugh. If so, I
      repeat, we have no Ellis and Sinah representatives in our Project
      yet. If you meant to say Elijah and Ruth, the answer is above, we
      have two and they match. If you did mean "Jesse," I am not sure who
      you are referring to.

      > Thank you again for your input. Maybe someone in the group can
      help us clarify the situation with the two Pugh lines and the de St.
      Juliens (Julians). I may try to dig something up. If I do, I will
      scan it and post it as a PDF.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 13, 2007
        Jane,

        Thank you for that.  You must be in sales.  I think I am going to send in another sample myself.  As I recall, I didn't hurt a bit.  But of course, I am a big strong man.  There are plenty of Pughs out there.  We just need to figure out what is in it for them and let them know.  For me, it is very exciting to see this picture come together.  I hope by this time next year we will have three or more groups in the same mode as the Lewis Pugh group.  They are already trying to identify markers that denote particular branches within the line.  We will get there.  It is just a matter of time.  Again, thanks for your very nice comments on a Mother's Day.  Mamma would be proud.

        Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2007 9:20 PM
        Subject: [Tracing_Pugh_Origins] Re: Recruiting

        <jpughdog@.. .> wrote:

        > Thank you very much Vivian,
        >
        > I wish I knew the answer to the recruiting problem. I have
        basically resigned myself to the fact that it will just take a long
        time to get started but, once people begin to see the benefits, it
        will take off like a rocket. Let's hope this will happen in our
        lifetime. It is not going to get any easier to trace back
        generations through conventional means and we are missing out on an
        opportunity to gain data before the pot is further stirred up by
        generational mutations and the migration patterns of our increasingly
        modern society. If I were a salesman rather than a scientist and
        engineer I may have more luck with recruiting. Unfortunately, I do
        not know how to sell. All I can do is inform.

        > With regard to the confusing connection, my information agrees
        completely with your summary of Ruth Pugh's descendancy. Ruth is of
        the Ellis and Sinah Pugh line. However, I have Ruth de St. Julien as
        the daughter of Peter de St. Julien, Jr. and Ruth Pugh, not as Peter,
        Jr.'s sister. Peter, Sr. was born in 1714 and Mary Beals (Bales) was
        born in 1715. Ruth de St. Julien was born in 1763. The children
        that I have for Peter, Sr. and Mary were born from 1738 to 1746.
        Ruth Pugh would have been about 19 years old when Ruth de St. Julien
        was born. I suppose either way is plausible. I wonder if there is
        primary source documentation for either? I have seen quite a bit
        written on the de St. Julien line but no primary sources.

        > We do not have a representative of the Ellis and Sinah line in our
        Project yet. We have two James M. Pugh representatives that match
        DNA and descent from sons of Elijah and Ruth (de St. Julien) Pugh.
        We know that both the Ellis and the James M. Pugh lines were in the
        same places at the same times. We do not yet have any proof (as far
        as I know) that the two lines were genetically related. This would
        be an interesting relationship to establish through DNA and try to
        prove through paper trail or a combination of paper trail and DNA.
        Like I said, I hope this happens in our lifetime.

        > I am assuming that your question regarding descendants of "Jesse"
        and Ruth Pugh was meant to read Peter, Jr. and Ruth Pugh. If so, I
        repeat, we have no Ellis and Sinah representatives in our Project
        yet. If you meant to say Elijah and Ruth, the answer is above, we
        have two and they match. If you did mean "Jesse," I am not sure who
        you are referring to.

        > Thank you again for your input. Maybe someone in the group can
        help us clarify the situation with the two Pugh lines and the de St.
        Juliens (Julians). I may try to dig something up. If I do, I will
        scan it and post it as a PDF.

        > Jeff

      • Vivian Markley
        Message 3 of 15 , May 13, 2007

          Yes, you are correct that Ruth Julien married Elijah Pugh is the daughter of Peter Jr. and Ruth Pugh.  She was the sister of my Grandfather Elihu Julien who was the son of Peter Julien Jr. and Ruth Pugh.  Elihu Julien came to Ohio with the Bush River group.  I have to admit I have a hard time keeping this group straight.  I cannot find a way to keep the Julien/Julian part of this sorted.  I like to keep it spelled the way it is on documents but it just keeps splitting the families apart.

          Yes, you are right I did not mean to say “Jesse”.  The Jesse Pugh that gives me fits is the Jesse Pugh who married Elizabeth Stewart daughter of Robert Stewart.  My Elihu Julien/Rhoda Coppock had a daughter Mary Ann who married Elijah Stewart from NC.  We are at a dead end with him but he may be part of the Robert Stewart family or at least a cousin.  To further confuse me, Elijah Pugh and Ruth Julien named on of their sons Elijah Stewart Pugh b 1812 Alabama .  So since Ruth Julien Pugh is a sister to my Grandfather Elihu Julien and my Elijah Stewart (Elihu’s son in law was born 1804), I have to wonder if these two Pugh families that married into the same Julien family are related and is there a “Elijah Stewart” somewhere that is the namesake for both of these boys.

          These Welsh are so confusing because even though they quit the practice of the Ap …. And began a more European method of surnames, they still used surnames as middle and first names a lot of the time.

          Message 4 of 15 , May 14, 2007
            I just posted two new files in a folder named "Chapman-Pugh
            Genealogy." The files are scans of a few pages out of Minnie May
            Pugh' book. I do this at the risk of being hammered by Jim. He has
            found numerous errors in Minnie May's work. Regardless, I remain a
            fan. She has certainly done quite a bit for Pugh genealogy and I know
            we all appreciate that. I will try to post more to that folder as I
            have the time. For now, the two sections are of the Stewart and
            Julian families.

            Jim, feel free to hammer away. Your comments will be helpful to
            those, like me, who have not done their homework.
          • Mark Pugh

              Message 6 of 15 , May 14, 2007
                The message that I was referring to is #112.  To jump to it, just go to the message page at our group, type in 112 in the message# box and hit go.  Jim has not commented yet on the sections that I just posted.

                Thanks,

                Message 7 of 15 , May 14, 2007
                  Yes Mark !!

                  I will have to review the pages that  Jeff posted and see if I can contribute again.  I have a lot of respect for Minnie May and her research.  As I have stated in many postings on this site and the other Pugh site, that she tried very hard to be correct for the 1940's & 50's but was limited in her ability to get it all right.

                  It is our responsibility here in the early 2000's to help her by correcting what we know to be wrong, and enhancing her efforts from 50 to 60 years ago.  If you go to the other Pugh site and type in her name in the search box, you will see that not only I, but others have tried to cite corrections to her work.

                  We owe it to her to "set the record" straight.

                  Jim Pugh of the James M. Pugh, Sr line (adopted)   -

[...]

                  Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!
                • Jim
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 14, 2007
                    Jeff:

                    I am having trouble opening the:

                    1)  Front Cover
                    4)  Genealogy 8.pdf
                    5)  Genealogy 055.pdf, and
                    6)  Genealogy 120.pdf

                    My "Adobe Reader" states:  The File is Damaged and could not be repaired.

                    Do you know what is going on?  Is it my reader or are the files damaged?  Is anyone else having this problem, and if not, it may be my "yankee" computer up here in upper Michigan.

                    Jim Pugh

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 14, 2007
                      Hi Jim,

                      I knew you were out there somewhere. I have to apologize, some of the
                      files are quite large. The ones that you reference are all over
                      200kb. I just opened them all on my home computer without incident.
                      If you are on dial-up up there in God's country, that may have
                      something to do about it. If you are able to download any of them, I
                      suggest that you save them to your harddrive so you do not have to go
                      through it every time you want to view them.

                      The cover does not have any information on it other than the title and
                      the author's name. It is a nice color scan of the pretty, hard cloth
                      cover that I thought would be of interest to some. It is a monster at
                      800kb. If you are still having trouble, I can try to email them to you
                      directly but you may have the same problem. If I do this, you should
                      definitly save them to your harddrive and delete them from your on-line
                      mailbox.

                      I will try to post some information that you can sink your teeth into
                      tomorrow. So far, it has been mostly fluff. If anyone else is having
                      trouble with the downloading, please let us know. Thanks.

                      Jeff

                      --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <sibbert@...> wrote:

                      > Jeff:
                      >
                      > I am having trouble opening the:
                      >
                      > 1) Front Cover
                      > 4) Genealogy 8.pdf
                      > 5) Genealogy 055.pdf, and
                      > 6) Genealogy 120.pdf

                    • Jim
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 15, 2007
                        Jeff:
                        I am on DSL but yesterday my "Adobe Reader" downloaded a new up-date and I feel that this might be my problem.  I also saw in the "tech section" of  the newspaper that going from Windows 98 to XP and back again to 98 can cause a "read problem".  I am on 98 up here, so could you send me by e-mail the others(4-5-6) that I indicated without the front cover?

                        We will see if that helps me.

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 15, 2007
                          They are on their way.