Re: Pugh Project - Update to Report No. 3

  • shannon
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2007
      --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Pugh"
      <jpughdog@...> wrote:

      > I just posted the updated spreadsheet. There has been quite a bit
      > going on. First, I would like give a big thank you to Kline Pugh for
      > his work with the Lewis and Ann (??) Pugh line. We are beginning to
      > see some trends emerge with regard to mutations at markers that may
      > help us identify specific branches within Lineage I. Kline has
      > applied his many years of research on this line to begin classifying
      > participants according to their DNA results.
      >
      > It is believed that a mutation at marker 458 (value=16) likely
      > indicates that the participant descends from Willoughby Pugh (1734-
      > 1784) and Sarah Bobo. Willoughby was the grandson of Lewis and Ann.
      > It is not yet clear whether this mutation occurred at Willoughby's
      > birth or at a subsequent generation. This mutation could have
      > occurred at the birth of Willoughby's son, Jesse Pugh (1774-1854).
      > Kline's work is helping to guide our research in sorting this out.
      >
      > There are four participants in Lineage I that show no mutations, on
      > at least 37 markers, from the Lewis Pugh modal haplotype. It is as
      > yet unclear if these individuals descend from the same son of Lewis.
      > It is likely that they do not. We expect to discover that some of
      > the mutations that we have identified occurred in the grandson's of
      > Lewis or their ancestors. At this time we do not have enough data to
      > make a strong statement but have placed these four individuals
      > together as possible descendents of John Pugh, another grandson of
      > Lewis.
      >
      > Two participants are known to be descended from Henry Pugh, one of
      > Lewis' sons. These participants each show a single mutation but at
      > different markers. This would indicate that Henry also shared Lewis'
      > DNA profile without mutations and the mutations observed in our two
      > participants occurred in subsequent generations. This tells us that
      > we need to try very hard to find additional participants that descend
      > from Henry. There is much to learn about the descendents of Henry
      > Pugh.
      >
      > One of the things that I am most excited about is the data from our
      > two participants that descend from the James M. Pugh line. Both of
      > these participants descend from Elijah and Ruth (de St. Julien)
      > Pugh. One from their son Isaac and the other from their son Jesse.
      > They match on all but one of 37 markers. One shows a value of 15 at
      > marker 456 while the other shows a value of 16. I have arbitrarily
      > assigned a value of 15 to marker 456 for the James M. Pugh modal
      > haplotype. This may change as Lineage IV grows. Other markers in
      > the modal may also change as we gain participants that connect at a
      > more distant timeframe to the James M. Pugh line.
      >
      > Although rather slowly, the picture is beginning to show some
      > definition. Lineage I is at the stage where we are attempting to
      > define specific branches through the DNA data. This is very
      > challenging and requires knowledge of the paper trail evidence.
> [...]
      hi jeff!
      i just wanted to let you know that i have been posting
      message's on local topix boards,to try and find my uncle jerry pugh.he
      is the only male pugh,besides his son orion,that i believe i know.this
      is all so interesting!!!if i hear from him,i will try and get him to
      participate,as,i believe,i descend from hugh pugh,and helena brink.
      keep in touch!
      shannon