RE: [Tracing_Pugh_Origins] Helping a fellow Pugh !!

  • Flip Faust
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2007

      Thanks Jim,

      I will certainly do all that you have said. In fact I have made an appointment to go to Augusta (where most of the family remains) to speak to cousin (James W. Pugh, 76 years old) on next Saturday.  Will let you know of my adventures.

      Thanks,

      Flip

      PS. I’m a she.

      Date: 1/7/2007 9:35:31 AM

      Subject: Re: [Tracing_Pugh_ Origins] newbie - not any more !!

      To put in my three cents worth, I'd also go to the search engine and type in "African American Ancestors."  You would be suprised at the amount of information that is available.

      Dean

      Date: 1/6/2007 7:58:04 PM

      Subject: RE: [Tracing_Pugh_ Origins] newbie

      Greetings,

      Yes, they lived in Blythe, Burke County , Georgia .

      Can you tell me is it worth the money to join one of the ancestry on-line sites?

      I am  really new at this and don’t know where to start.

      Thanks,

      Flip

      Date: 1/6/2007 11:59:55 AM

      Do you have any information regarding slave owners and African American Pugh’s?

      Grace and Peace,

      Phillippia Faust

      size=2 width="100%" align=center tabIndex=-1>

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2007
        Flip:

        Go to this URL and when it comes up, click on household in the upper
        right hand corner and see if any of the names ring a bell with you.
        You might want to take it with you to Augusta and see if anybody there
        recognizes anything.

        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/search_census.asp

        Let me know if you need anymore help. By the way, as to the DNA
        project we would have to have a continuous line of MALE Pughs back in
        your ancestry to try and determine where your family came from. I
        suspect that it would show your roots back to the eastern shores of
        Africa. It would be real neat if we could tie you back to one of the
        Pugh's that came to America in the late 1600s.

        Jim Pugh
        --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Flip Faust" <FFaust@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks Jim,
        >

        > I will certainly do all that you have said. In fact I have made an
        > appointment to go to Augusta (where most of the family remains) to speak
        > to cousin (James W. Pugh, 76 years old) on next Saturday. Will let you
        > know of my adventures.
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Flip
        >

        > PS. I'm a she.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Jane Hargreaves
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2007
          Hi Flip,

          Is this Augusta, VA that you are visiting?

          Jane

          === message truncated ===

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Flip Faust
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2007

            No, it’s Augusta , Georgia

            --- Flip Faust <FFaust@rockdale. org> wrote:

            > Thanks Jim,
            >

            > I will certainly do all that you have said. In fact
            > I have made an
            > appointment to go to Augusta
            (where most of the
            > family remains) to speak
            > to cousin (James W. Pugh, 76 years old) on next
            > Saturday. Will let you
            > know of my adventures.
            >

            > Thanks,
            >
            > Flip
            >

            > PS. I'm a she.
            >

            > ____________ _________ _________ __
            >
            > From: Tracing_Pugh_ Origins@yahoogro ups.com

            w:st="on">Georgia were
            > eventually southerners for a while. Jesse and his
            > clan settled in
            > Wrightsboro, McDuffie County ,
            Georgia in 1772. Not
            > adhering to the
            > "southern tradition" (over 150 years old at that
            > time) of owning slaves
            > and due to not fighting in the Revolutionary War
            > because of their
            > religious beliefs, they sold off their land and most
            > of them went to
            > Preble County ,
            w:st="on">Ohio and established the "Quaker
            > Monthly Meeting Houses"
            > in that area.
            >

            > Sorry to be giving you a lesson in history of my
            > line, but some of the
            > Pugh brothers(Elijah and Robert) in Wrightsboro when
            > to Alabama
            and
            > started in the slave ownership. Jehu Pugh received
            > 287 acres of bounty
            > land in Washington
            County Georgia for Revolutionary
            > War service in the
            > 1805 Georgia
            land lottery. I have no record of him
            > owning any
            > African-Americans.
            >

            > Now, getting back to Flip and his ancestry. He
            > claims his family came
            > from the little town of Blythe , in
            w:st="on"> Burke County ,
            > Georgia .
            In my quick
            > search of Burke
            County records I do not find any
            > Pugh's living there in
            > the 1820-1860 era, to include any slave documents or
            > census documents
            > listing any Pughs there.
            >

            > Flip, you also might find your family was located in
            > another nearby
            > county and moved to Burke
            w:st="on">County , Georgia just
            > before they left there to
            > go to the Atlanta
            area.

            > That is not to say blacks were not there, as many
            > counties today still
            > do not want to admit slavery was a fact in their
            > counties here in the
            > South. I did see where in 1830 or so, there were
            > over 450
            > farms(plantations) in excess of 1,000 acres. They
            > sure didn't work
            > these farms with one mule and a plow.
            >

            > My best suggestion to Flip is to start by talking to
            > his older relatives
            > and question them about what they know about their
            > grandparents
            > whereabouts before they came to Atlanta .
            Don't put
            > this off because
            > they won't be around forever. The biggest mistake
            > most of us
            > researchers have made is we never talked to our
            > parents and made them
            > talk about there heritage. The first thing they say
            > is "I don't think I
            > can help you, or remember much about the family",
            > but once they open up
            > you will be amazed at how much they can relate to
            >

            > Then Flip, once you can definitely establish where
            > your ancestors came
            > from, I would plan a trip to the
            w:st="on">Georgia State
            > Archives in Atlanta (or
            > the Atlanta Public Library) and research when your
            > family left Burke
            > County and moved to either Fulton or
            w:st="on"> DeKalb County
            > by date. You might
            > also be surprised what else you can glean off census
            > records.
            >

            > I have more to suggest, but try these first. We
            > will, as a group, keep
            > helping you.
            >

            > Good Luck in your researching.
            >

            > Jim Pugh

            Do You Yahoo!?
            http://mail. yahoo.com

          • Jane Hargreaves
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2007
              Hi Flip,

              I thought that we might have had another connection in
              Augusta, but mine other line is Augusta, VA.

              Have you had a chance yet to check out my twig under
              the files section?

              Jane