Re: About the Wilmer L. Kerns books (Pughtown, VA)

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2006
      I was able to get to the Western Michigan University library about a
      week ago and I was able to look through the Wilmer L. Kerns
      book "Frederick County, Virginia...Settlement and Some First
      Families of Back Creek Valley, 1730-1830" that Randall mentioned.

      I transcribed the following few paragraphs from the book regarding
      the early history of Pughtown.

      "Pughtown was Established in 1797

      The first town built in Back Creek Valley was Pughtown, which was
      named after Job Pugh (1737-1809), who was a son of Jesse Pugh (1711-
      1794). On Jan. 12, 1797, by order of Job Pugh, 31 lots were platted
      and a charter was drawn for establishing Pughtown.

      Lots for the new town were surveyed by Jesse Pugh (1763-1839). The
      lots were sold for $1 each. Streets along a southeast to northwest
      direction were named: Liberty Lane, Adams Street, and Turkey Lane.
      Streets that were perpendicular to these were named: South Street,
      Stephens Street, Lewis Street, Washington Street, Job Street, and
      Denny Street.

      Some of the original lot owners were: John Squib, Charles Johnston,
      Jacob Folk, Joseph Morgan, George Swhier, Jacob Whiteman, Archibald
      Magill, Joseph Gordon, Jacob Files, Joseph McKee, William King,
      Joshua Pickens, Samuel Hott, William Davidson, William Adams, Lewis
      McCool, Eli Pugh, and James Davison. Each owner was required to
      build a house with dimensions of 16 by 16 square feet, and to
      construct a stone or brick chimney. If the lot owner did not fulfill
      these requirements within two years, then the ownership of the lot
      would revert back to town-founder Job Pugh.

      A post office was established at Pughtown on July 8, 1808, with the
      appointment of William H. Holliday as postmaster. He was followed
      by William Rayon on Oct. 1, 1811, Augustine Green Jr., on Aug.
      30,1815, and Frederick Nadenboach on Jan. 1, 1818. The name of
      Pughtown was changed to Gainsboro about 1817. The name of the post
      office was Gainsborough from 1823 to 1893, after which it changed to
      Gainesboro. A Methodist Church stands along the main thoroughfare.
      Some of the early Quakers found church discipline to be difficult to
      adhere in a changing society (war, social behavior, etc.). For many
      of these settlers, Methodism was a second choice. "

      The book is non-circulating but it is an incredible work. I hope to
      get bak to that library soon to study it a little more.