Re: [SPAM] [Tracing_Pugh_Origins] John Pugh to PA during the 1850's

  • Brad & Bonnie Kershaw
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 16, 2006
      My great-grandfather homesteaded in Eastern Colorado in the 1880's. He was born in Hampshire County VA (now West VA) in 1847. His parents were James B. Pugh and Evelina Howard Pugh. I have unverified info that his father was Robert Pugh II, his grandfather was Robert Pugh, and his great-grandfather was Evan Pugh, who descended from Hugh Pugh.

      As far as I know, my line consists of my own brother who still lives in Holyoke; he has a son in Greeley and a son and grandson in Illinois. My own father has passed away, as has his brother; but I have two male cousins, one of whom still lives in the Denver area and the other lives in Texas.

      I am hoping that one of my cousins will soon join the dna testing. I'm interested to see the results.

      Bonnie

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 16, 2006
        Hello Bonnie

        From your notes I do not think we share any relatives in Colorado.  I have male cousin in Wiggins, a female cousin in Denver and a male cousin in Delta, all in Colorado.

        Thanks for the reply.

        Ben Morgan Pugh

      • hatchb4ck
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 17, 2007
          > Do we have anyone in our group with ties to PA, MINN, IA, or Colorado?

          My Pugh lineage, according to research and first hand experience has
          ties to both Colorado and Minnesota. Although I don't have exact
          information yet as to the location in Colorado, I do have quite a bit
          of documentation on my ancestors in Minnesota. Most of my ancestors
          in Minnesota are in Aitkin and Itasca counties.

          Let me know if I can offer any further information or perhaps we can
          share the information that we have.

          Thanks,
          Joe Pugh
        • Ben Morgan Pugh
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 29, 2007
            --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "hatchb4ck"
            <hatchb4ck@...> wrote:

            > > Do we have anyone in our group with ties to PA, MINN, IA, or
            Colorado?

            > My Pugh lineage, according to research and first hand experience has
            > ties to both Colorado and Minnesota. Although I don't have exact
            > information yet as to the location in Colorado, I do have quite a
            bit
            > of documentation on my ancestors in Minnesota. Most of my ancestors
            > in Minnesota are in Aitkin and Itasca counties.
            >
            > Let me know if I can offer any further information or perhaps we can
            > share the information that we have.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Joe Pugh

            Joe, my ggreatgrandfather came from wales to Penn about 1850. He
            lived in the Johnstown area and then moved to Blue Earth County Minn.

            He then returned to Johnstown where he died at the age of 39. He had
            two children, Benjamin and little Mary Ann. Benjamin was my
            grandfather and live most of his life in Colorado.

            If we have any relationship please reply.

            Thanks

            Ben Morgan Pugh Bikeben@...
          • George Pugh
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 29, 2007
              --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Morgan Pugh"
              <BIKEBEN@...> wrote:

              Joe and Ben, I'd be interested in comparing DNAs. I have no apparent
              link to the other older Pugh families in Pa or Va, but my ggg-
              grandfather was born in 1801 in either Wales or Pa depending on the
              story you believe. His name was John Pugh who ended up in Fraklin
              County, Pennsylvania. Since I've heard his only brother fell
              overboard coming over (one story) he'd be the only DNA pattern for
              his family, but I wonder if he had any other siblings in Wales who
              came over later?

              George Pugh
              Belleville, IL\

              --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "hatchb4ck"
              > <hatchb4ck@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Do we have anyone in our group with ties to PA, MINN, IA, or
              > Colorado?
              > > >

              > > My Pugh lineage, according to research and first hand experience
              has
              > > ties to both Colorado and Minnesota. Although I don't have exact
              > > information yet as to the location in Colorado, I do have quite a
              > bit
              > > of documentation on my ancestors in Minnesota. Most of my
              ancestors
              > > in Minnesota are in Aitkin and Itasca counties.
              > >
              > > Let me know if I can offer any further information or perhaps we
              can
              > > share the information that we have.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Joe Pugh
              >
              > Joe, my ggreatgrandfather came from wales to Penn about 1850. He
              > lived in the Johnstown area and then moved to Blue Earth County
              Minn.

              > He then returned to Johnstown where he died at the age of 39. He
              had
              > two children, Benjamin and little Mary Ann. Benjamin was my
              > grandfather and live most of his life in Colorado.
              >
              > If we have any relationship please reply.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Ben Morgan Pugh Bikeben@...

            • hatchb4ck
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 30, 2007
                > Joe, my ggreatgrandfather came from wales to Penn about 1850. He
                > lived in the Johnstown area and then moved to Blue Earth County Minn.
                >
                > He then returned to Johnstown where he died at the age of 39. He had
                > two children, Benjamin and little Mary Ann. Benjamin was my
                > grandfather and live most of his life in Colorado.
                >
                > If we have any relationship please reply.
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Ben Morgan Pugh Bikeben@...

                Ben,
                That is some really interesting information. I haven't been able to
                find any information on my Pugh line from Colorado prior to 1903. I
                wonder if you have dates for when your Grandfather, Benjamin, was in
                Colorado or perhaps children's names? All indications (not verified
                yet) are that my Great Great Grandfather was born in Colorado.
                Additionally, the name Benjamin has come up in conversations with my
                uncle, but he wasn't sure what the relationship might be. We are
                still having some trouble with two pivotal periods in our family
                history and one is the death of my GGGrandfather and his birth
                information.

                Maybe our line is connected.

                Please reply when you can.

                Joe
              • Ben Morgan Pugh
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 11, 2007
                  wrote:

                  > > Joe, my ggreatgrandfather came from wales to Penn about 1850. He
                  > > lived in the Johnstown area and then moved to Blue Earth County
                  Minn.

                  > > He then returned to Johnstown where he died at the age of 39. He
                  had
                  > > two children, Benjamin and little Mary Ann. Benjamin was my
                  > > grandfather and live most of his life in Colorado.
                  > >
                  > > If we have any relationship please reply.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > >
                  > > Ben Morgan Pugh Bikeben@
                  > >
                  > Ben,
                  > That is some really interesting information. I haven't been able to
                  > find any information on my Pugh line from Colorado prior to 1903. I
                  > wonder if you have dates for when your Grandfather, Benjamin, was in
                  > Colorado or perhaps children's names? All indications (not verified
                  > yet) are that my Great Great Grandfather was born in Colorado.
                  > Additionally, the name Benjamin has come up in conversations with my
                  > uncle, but he wasn't sure what the relationship might be. We are
                  > still having some trouble with two pivotal periods in our family
                  > history and one is the death of my GGGrandfather and his birth
                  > information.
                  >
                  > Maybe our line is connected.
                  >
                  > Please reply when you can.
                  >
                  > Joe

                • Ben Morgan Pugh
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 11, 2007
                    Hello Joe,

                    Sorry that it has taken so long to reply.

                    I will send some more info about my Pugh Line.

                    It was John Pugh that came from Wales about 1850, he was born in
                    Cemmaes, wales 30 July 1833 died Johnstown, PA 30 May 1871.

                    John married a Mary Ann (Pugh) Abrams, born about 1846, They had two
                    children, Benjamin Pugh, born 16 Dec 1867 in Johnstown, PA, married
                    10 Jan 1900 in Cripple Creek, CO, died 2 Dec 1944 in Denver, CO. The
                    second child was Mary Ann Pugh, born 17 April 1870 in Minn. and she
                    died on 26 Nov 1882 in Tiffin Iowa.

                    John's wife Mary Ann was born about 1846 and died in Iowa City, Iowa
                    11 Dec 1891.

                    As to when my grandfather was in Colorado I would guess that he
                    arrived sometime after his mother died in 1891, maybe within 5
                    years. We know that he landed in the Steamboat Springs area for a
                    time and then went to Cripple Creek to work in the gold mines where
                    he met his wife to be.

                    Benjamin and wife Nettie had five children. No 1 George Franklin
                    Pugh b. 2 Feb 1901 in Victor CO. d. 28 Sept 1983 in Denver CO. No 2
                    John Stevenson Pugh (my father) b. 3 Sept 1902 in Ward, CO d Dec 1956
                    in McMinniville Or. No 3. Merton James Pugh b. 10 July 1904 in Ward
                    CO. d. 23 April 1988 in Vancouver WA. No 4 Mildred Caroline (Wilson)
                    Pugh b. 22 Nov 1905 in Ward CO d. 10 Oct 1990 in Castle Rock CO.
                    No 5 Thomas Jackson Pugh b. 20 April 1912 d. 20 Apl 1980 in Denver CO.

                    Please keep in touch

                    Ben Morgan Pugh
                    Bikeben@...

                    > --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "hatchb4ck"
                    <hatchb4ck@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Joe, my ggreatgrandfather came from wales to Penn about 1850.
                    He
                    > > > lived in the Johnstown area and then moved to Blue Earth County
                    > Minn.
                    > > >
                    > > > He then returned to Johnstown where he died at the age of 39.
                    He
                    > had
                    > > > two children, Benjamin and little Mary Ann. Benjamin was my
                    > > > grandfather and live most of his life in Colorado.
                    > > >
                    > > > If we have any relationship please reply.
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks
                    > > >
                    > > > Ben Morgan Pugh Bikeben@
                    > > >
                    > > Ben,
                    > > That is some really interesting information. I haven't been able
                    > > find any information on my Pugh line from Colorado prior to
                    1903. I
                    > > wonder if you have dates for when your Grandfather, Benjamin, was
                    in
                    > > Colorado or perhaps children's names? All indications (not
                    verified
                    > > yet) are that my Great Great Grandfather was born in Colorado.
                    > > Additionally, the name Benjamin has come up in conversations with
                    my
                    > > uncle, but he wasn't sure what the relationship might be. We are
                    > > still having some trouble with two pivotal periods in our family
                    > > history and one is the death of my GGGrandfather and his birth
                    > > information.
                    > >
                    > > Maybe our line is connected.
                    > >
                    > > Please reply when you can.
                    > >
                    > > Joe

                  • Ben Morgan Pugh
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 31, 2007
                      wrote:

                      > > Do we have anyone in our group with ties to PA, MINN, IA, or
                      Colorado?

                      > My Pugh lineage, according to research and first hand experience has
                      > ties to both Colorado and Minnesota. Although I don't have exact
                      > information yet as to the location in Colorado, I do have quite a bit
                      > of documentation on my ancestors in Minnesota. Most of my ancestors
                      > in Minnesota are in Aitkin and Itasca counties.
                      >
                      > Let me know if I can offer any further information or perhaps we can
                      > share the information that we have.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Joe Pugh

                      Hello Joe Pugh

                      My greatgrandfather (John Pugh born abt. 1831) came from Wales during
                      the 1850's and lived in Penn (Johnstown area) and married in that area
                      abt. 1865. He was naturalized Sept. 18, 1868 in Ebensburg, Penn.

                      He moved to Blue Earth County, Minn. and lived close to a brother Thomas
                      during 1869. John Pugh returned to Johnstown, Penn. in March of 1871
                      where he died on May 30, 1871.

                      John had one son (Benjamin, my grandfather) born 16 Dec. 1867. After
                      John's death Ben lived with his mother (Mary Ann) in the Iowa City, Iowa
                      area. After Ben's mother died (11 Dec. 1891) he traveled to Colorado
                      and lived in Cripple Creek working in the gold mines.

                      Ben met and married ( 10 Jan. 1900) Nettie Mae Stephenson (she worked in
                      a bording house which served gold miners). They had five children which
                      included my father (John S Pugh). Ben obtained a homestead east of
                      Denver and died 2 Dec. 1944.

                      Joe, Do our families have any connect?

                      Sincerely

                      Ben Morgan Pugh