  • Lisa
    Jun 2, 2008
      From: Lisa
      Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 4:14 PM
      Subject: BEVAN & PUGH FAMILIES

      I have at last found my notes!!  Here is the info on John Bevan, who James M. Pugh was indentured to for the trip to America.
      John and Barbara Aubrey Bevan came to America aboard the 'Bristol Factor'.  They arrive in American on Nov 4, 1683.  They had previously lived in Treverig, Glamorgan, Wales, as proved by Quaker records.  They attended the Cardiff and Treverig Monthly Meetings in Wales.  It is believed that James Pugh came with them on the trip to America.
      John and Barbara had at least 2 daughters.  Elizabeth b. 1678 in Wales and died 27Feb1740 in PA.  The other daughter is Sarah, which I have no other info on.  Elizabeth married Joseph Richardson who died about Jan 14, 1752.  They had the following children:
      Barbara m. _______ Davies
      Eleanor m. ________ Harmer
      Elizabeth b. 1704-1709  It was speculated through info I found that this might have been the Elizabeth who married Thomas Pugh who came to Randolph Co., NC.  In the Pugh/Fruit/Campbell family cemetery, Thomas is buried beside an Elizabeth who is believed to have been his wife.  The reason for the speculation is that Elizabeth Richardson DID marry a Pugh, as that is found in records in PA.  BUT I cannot find proof that this is the Thomas and Elizabeth Pugh found in NC later.  The ages fit, but that isn't proof.
      James M. Pujgh married Joan Price 34Apr1692 at John Jerman's house, Radnor Twp, PA.  He died in 1724.  Their children were:
      1-Margaret b. 8Mar1693 d. abt. 2Sept 1719
      2-James, Jr. b. 26 Dec1695
      3-Thomas (possibly married Elizabeth Richardson)
      4-Hugh b. 1Nov1699 d. 1748/9 Uwchlan, Chester Co., PA m. Mary Jones (daughter of Cadwallader and Eleanor (Evans) Jones.  Hugh and Mary had children:  Dinah, Hannah, John, Enos, Joseph, and Rebecca.  All born in Chester Co., PA.
      5-John b. 2Nov 1701/2 m. 7Aug1730 at Uwchlan MM to Mary Jenkins (daughter of Evan Jenkins).  They had children:  Sarah, Evan, James (m. Ann Hilles), Jonathan, Joshua, and Mary.  All their children were born in Chester Co., PA.
      6-Joan d. 17Jul1744 m. 3Oct1723 at Uwchlan MM to William Williams b. abt 1696 d. 1744
      Now for the David Pugh/Catherine Price line.
      David was married before marrying Catherine.  The first time his name is mentioned in the Radnor Quaker records, he is called a widower living in Merion, Philadelphia Co., PA.  He left a will dated Aug 4, 1737 and was proved 14Oct1738.  David married 26Jn1698 at Radnor Friends MM to Catherine Price.  Their children were:
      1-David b. 6May1699 at Radnor
      2-Jonathan b.? d. 1768, went to Uwchlan, Chester Co., PA and married Hannah Miles (daughter of Richard & Sarah (Evans) Miles.
        Jonathan & Hannah had children:
            David m. Sarah Morgan at Gwynedd MM, PA; married #2 about 1761 to Hannah ________
      3-Hannah m. James Miles (son of Richard & Sarah MIles).  Had children:  Col. Samuel Miles, Enos Miles, Nathaniel Miles,
      4-Joseph Pugh m. 3Nov 1733/4 to Rebecca Moore (daughter of Richard Moore)
      5-John m. 4Oct1745 Abigail Thomas (dau of John Thomas) at Radnor MM, PA.  They had children:  Joseph, Amelia, Elijah, John (married Mary Thomas), Mary, and Edwin
      I do have more on some of these families.  If you want to see any in particular, let me know and I'll check to see what I have on them.  All the dates, marriages, and children listed above come from the Quaker records in PA.  This is how I was able to track most all of these families.  Of course some married out of unity, or committed infractions causing them to be disowned by the Quaker church, and I loose track of them after that.
      Later this evening I will be posting lots of info on the Ellis Pugh line.  I have so much on that line it will take some time to get it all put together!!!!!
      Lisa Craven
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic