377Re:Pugh's of Orange County,VA

  • Daniela Moneta
    Oct 5, 2007

      Hi Sheri,

      We have 24 men in our Pugh DNA group that descend from the same line as William Pugh. William’s father was John Pugh who was one of five sons of Lewis Pugh from Wales who immigrated to Virginia in 1695. This information has been documented. I used this family for my certification paper to become a Certified Genealogist. I wrote a lineage genealogy on Lewis Pugh born about 1670 in Wales and his descendants. The paper traces my line which descends from Lewis Pugh’s third son, Henry Pugh; so it just touches briefly on the other sons of Lewis.  Here is what little we know about John Pugh, the eldest son of Lewis and Ann Pugh:

      Baptismal records for the children of Lewis and Ann Pugh were from George Harrison Sanford King, The Registers of North Farnham Parish, 1663-1814, and Lunenburg Parish, 1783-1800, Richmond County, Virginia (Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1986), 152.

      i.      John Pugh was baptized 29 April 1704 in Richmond County and was believed to have died between 1734 and 1738 in Wales.[1] Research on locating possible descendants of John Pugh and his next younger brother David Pugh is ongoing.[2] It is speculated that John married Mary [--?-]. They are believed to have had the following children; (a) William Pugh born sometime before his father sailed for Wales in 1731, who married Mary [--?--]; and (b) John Pugh born before 1731 when his father sailed for Wales, and died before 26 March 1827 in Nelson County, Virginia. He married Ann Reams of Amelia County.

      Sheri, I did not do any other research on John Pugh beyond the two paragraphs above. Other professional researchers have however worked on the John Pugh line and have been trying to sort out the children he left behind. It is believed that John and Mary (your ancestor) had another son named Willoughby. I am not sure if there were any daughters. Anyway, John Pugh left his family to go to Wales with his father Lewis about 1731 to collect an inheritance but they never returned to America. This is documented in court records in Richmond County. There is, I believe, documentation in Wales that Lewis died sometime before 1740. One of the men in our DNA group has done the research in Wales on Lewis Pugh and shared it with us. Lewis’s second son, David Pugh, was then given Power-of-Attorney by the family in Virginia and sent to Wales to collect the inheritance but he never returned either.

      Ephraim Seamonds, Sr. appears in records in Richmond County where the Pugh family lived. For example, Deeds 9:561. Ephraim Seamans of Lunenburg Parish, Richmond County, Virginia (Jun 4 1739) to John McKonno . . . 50 acres . . Totusky Creek.  The Pugh family lived on Totusky Creek. Then 13 April 1740, in Stafford & King George Counties, Virginia, Mary Pew married Ephraim Simmons.  And, in 1749, Caroline County, VA., Ephrim Simons is appointed guardian to Wm. Pew. On 21 November 1769, in Orange County, VA 15:166-167, Ephraim Semands grants William Pugh of Caroline County 100 acres of land.

      Anyway, that is a little of the picture regarding William Pugh’s relationship to his mother Mary and his step-father Ephraim Seamonds. Right now we are trying to prove with DNA testing that Willoughby Pugh was a brother of William and John Pugh. We have a four men who are descendant of John Pugh who has been DNA tested and eight men who descend from Willoughby Pugh.

      Good luck in your research,

      Daniela

      [1] Information regarding his probable death was from Kline O. Pugh.

      [2] This research has been funded by Dr. V. Watson Pugh since late 2003 when he hired Helen F.M. Leary, CG, to research his ancestry. One of the objectives of his commission to Ms. Leary was to supply definitive proof if he was a descendant of Willoughby Pugh, son of Lewis Pugh. Four reports from Helen Leary were shared by Dr. Pugh with Daniela Moneta on 8 May 2005. Currently, Dr. Pugh has since hired ProGenealogists, Inc. to continue this research.

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.