375Re: Pugh's of Orange County,VA

  • sharon
    Oct 4, 2007
      Tamara,

      Thank you for such a warm welcome and all of this wonderful
      information. I was in touch with Marilyn Livingston a few years ago,
      she told me when the Tuscarora were christened they dropped their
      indian names and took on the surnames of friends or neighbors.
      Seeing how the names go back and forth, you keep thinking , they have
      to be related, but sometimes I'm learning, they aren't.
      I really don't think I'm going to be very much help here, I only
      have Pugh's back in the 1700's, if indeed the information that I have
      is correct. I've been trying to tie the William Pugh [so called
      father of Mary] to the Tuscarora William Pugh. I may prove it or I
      may disprove it, that's why I asked to join the group for some help.
      That's exciting about your Lawrence Bridger, when it's completed
      are you going to visit the Smithsonian? Have you checked the Lost
      Colony list, to see if any of your surnames are on it? Maybe Samuel
      and Thomas Bridgers are related, ya never know. I have five of the
      names on the list, Pugh, Thomas, Wood, Simmons and Johnson. Thomas is
      my maiden name, I have very little on it, I have mostly my father's
      mother's line.
      I can't thank you enough.

      Sheri

      -- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "Tamara Mitchell"
      <mistamar2u@...> wrote:

      > Welcome Sheri,
      >
      > The NC line of Pugh's in not of my line, but hopefully some of this
      > will help.
      >

      > A history book of the Tuscarora Confederacy called:
      > < Onkwehonweh-the first people-Tuscarora
      > has a wealth of historical information including maps, deeds,
      > villages, names, languages, and where the Tuscarora are today has
      > recently been written by Marilyn Livingston. It is for sale for
      $35.00
      > plus $6.00tax shipping and handling. To order send check or money
      > order to:
      >
      > Marilyn Mejorado-Livingston
      > Southern Band Tuscarora Tribe
      > 832 US 13N
      > Windsor NC 27983
      >
      > In book L-2 page 56 of Bertie County Deeds. James Allen,John
      Wiggins,
      > BillyGeorge,Snifnose George, BileCainCharles Cornelius,Thomas
      > Blount,John Rogers,George Blount,Wineoak Charles,Bille Basket, Bile
      > Owens, Lewis Tuffdick, Isaac Miller, Harry Samuel,Bridgers Thomas,
      > Seniear Thomas Howell, Bille Sockey, Bille Carelius, John Seniear,
      > Thomas Baskett, John Cain, Billy Blount, Tom Jack, John Litewood,
      > Billy Roberts, James Mitchell, Capt. Joe, William Pugh, as chieftans
      > of the Tuskarora Indians, to Robert Jones Jr. attorney of NC
      > province,& William Williams & Thomas Pugh gent. of same. 12 jul
      1766.
      > 1800 pounds proclamation. 8000 acreas on north side of Roanoke
      River,
      > joining Deep Creek ( Called Falling Run). Wit. David Standley,
      Samuel
      > Wynnes, James Bate. Sept Ct 1767
      >
      > You would most definitely have to study the families of listed below
      > and gather as much information on the deeds of these people as I
      have
      > learned that neighbors many times married neighbors, which I am sure
      > we all know.
      >

      > Thomas Pugh, descendant of Francis Pugh
      >
      > Thomas Whitmel who was an Indian trader, who married Elizabeth
      Bryan,
      > daughter of Lewis and Elizabeth Bryan.
      >
      > The Blount/West families.
      >
      > Thomas & Elizabeth Bryan Whitmell's son, Thomas d. 1779 married
      > Penelope Pugh 1768.
      >
      > The will of Thomas Whitmel:
      >
      > North Carolina Land Grant Book 4- #22
      >
      > Will of THOMAS WHITMELL Dated 26 Nov 1735/ Probated Dec 1735
      > Son Thomas Whitmell plantation where I now live on the Kesia River,
      > containing 360a as by reference to a deed to me by Gardner, also
      320a
      > on Buck Swamp, part of a survey by patent dated Apr 1726, half my
      stock
      > of horses, etc., negroes Jupiter, Catoe, Peter and half of the stock
      > used in Indian trade.
      > Wife Elizabeth Whitmell all household furniture.
      > Dau Martha Whitmell 15# at her marriage or when she is of age, also
      > half my trading stock used in the Indian trade, as well as the labor
      > of negroes Mingoe, Bess, and Peter.
      > Second son Lewis Whitmel 150A adj land devised to my son Thomas and
      > lands of John Gray, 320 A on Buck Swamp, being the other half of
      land
      > devised to my son Thomas, also negro Bristoll, one fourth of the
      > increas of negro Bess and one fourth part of negroes Phillis and
      Penney.
      > Infant son who shall be baptized William one fourth part of negro
      Bess
      > and Negroes Phillis and Penney.
      > Dau Elizabeth Pollock one shilling
      > Dau Sarah Whitmell 30# wf negro Bess Dautha martha negro Mingo, one
      > fourth of negroes Phillis and Penney, one fourth of the increas of
      Bess.
      > Dau Mary Whitmell the first child of Negro Bess and one fourth part
      of
      > negroes Phillis and Penney
      > Ex: wife, son Thomas, John Gray
      > Wit: Simon Gale, Gerrard Van Upstall, Mary Cannady
      >
      > This Whitmell was an Indian trader.
      >
      > Ref: The Whitmell Family Bible, 1726 from Historic Woodville
      > Whitmel of Bertie, Halifax & Warren Co by Lyndon H Hart III in
      > Gammon's ENCF Vol 1.
      >

      > Since you had this information, I am sure that much of this is
      mundane
      > to you, but it caught my eye as if you will notice in the above
      > information the name of another Chiefton, Bridgers Thomas, which I
      am
      > very curious about, as I descend from Lawrence Bridger of
      Slimbridge,
      > Glouchester England, thru his grandson Joseph Bridger of Isle of
      Wight
      > VA, who came to Virginia in 1652 under the auspices of Col.
      Nathaniel
      > Bacon. Recently he was exhumed and a facial mask is being made for
      an
      > exhibit at the Smithsonian and National Museum of Natural History:
      > "Written in Bones: Life and Death in the Colonial Chesapeake" It
      shall
      > be interesting! My direct paternal families (Bridges (they lost the
      r)
      > and Thomas families) settled in Trigg Co. Kentucky and that is
      where I
      > inherited my proven Lewis Pugh line.
      >
      > But back to your plight,
      >
      > 1766 - Tuscarora Land Lease (Bertie County Reservation)
      > Allen, James
      > Baskett, Billy
      > Baskett, Thomas
      > Blount, Billy
      > Blount, George
      > Blount, Thomas
      > Bridgers, Harry Samuel
      > Cain, Billy
      > Cain, John
      > Captain Toe
      > Charley, Wineoak
      > Cornelius, Billy
      > Cornelius, Charles
      > Dennis, Billy
      > George, Billy
      > George, Snip Nose
      > Hewit, Thomas
      > Jack, Tom Lightwood, John
      > Miller, Isaac
      > Mitchell, Billy
      > Mitchell, James
      > Netop, Billy
      > Owen, Billy
      > Owens
      > Pugh, William
      > Roberts, Billy
      > Rogers, John
      > Senaca, John
      > Senaca, Thomas
      > Sockey, Billy
      > Taylor, William
      > Tuffdick, Lewis
      > Walker, John
      > Wiggins, John
      > 1777 - Tuscarora Land Leases (from Bertie Deed Book "M")
      > Basket, William
      > Baskett, Sarah
      > Baskett, Thomas
      > Blount, Edward
      > Blount, William
      > Bridgers, Samuel (hmmm..)
      > Caine, William
      > Charles, Wineoak
      > Hicks, Sarah
      > Mitchell, James
      > Owens, John
      > Pugh, William
      > Randle, John Roberts, William
      > Rodgers, John
      > Smith, Benja.
      > Smith, John
      > Smith, Molley
      > Smith, Thomas
      > Stone, Zedekiah
      > Tufdick, Lewis
      > Tuffdick, Whitmell
      > Tuffdick, Whitmell
      > Watt & Gibson
      > West

      http://www.coastalcarolinaindians.com/research/surnames.htm#1766Tuscar
      ora_Land_Lease

      > (From Deeds of Bertie County 1772-1785, Abstracted by Stephen
      Bradley, Jr.

      > 296-(314) Articles of agreement between WHITMELL TUFDICK, WILLIAM
      > ROBERTS, WILLIAM CAIN, WILLIAM BLOUNT, TOM SMITH, JOHN SMITH, &
      LEWIS
      > TUFDICK of Bertie Co., chieftans of the Tuscarora Indians on Roanoke
      > River to ZEDEKIAH STONE of same. 10 Feb 1777. Sd chieftains were
      > desirous that sd STONE should clear land, joining Coniack Neck,
      TITUS
      > EDWARDS, Cesars Island, the river. Sd STONE agrees not to disturb
      > JOSEPH LLOYD & THOMAS SMITH & SARAH HICKS. Sd STONE will be permittd
      > to occupy the sd land for the space of 99 years. SIGNED BY: William
      > Basket, Molley Smith, Benja. Smith, Sarah Hicks, Sarah Baskett,
      Watt &
      > Gibson, Whitmell Tuffdick, Thomas (x) Smith, John Rodgers, Samuel
      > Bridgers, William Roberts, Wineoak Charles, ZEdekiah Stone, John
      > Owens, Thomas Baskett, William (x) Caine, Edward (x) Blount, John
      (x)
      > Smith, James (x) Mitchell, John (x) Randle, William (x) Blount,
      Lewis
      > (x) Tufdick, William (x) Pugh, West Whitmell (x) Tuffdick.
      WITNESSES:
      > Thomas Pugh, Jr., Titus Edwards, Thos. Pugh, Sr.. May Court 1777.
      John
      > Johnston Clerk of Court
      >
      > 297-(315) Whitmell Tufdick, William Roberts, William Blount, Lewis
      > Tufdick, John Randal, William Pugh, James Mitchel, Winoak Charles,
      > William Basket, John Owens, Thomas Roberts, Walter Gibson, Billy
      Cane
      > chieftans of the Tuscarora Indians in Bertie County to Thomas Pugh
      Sr.
      > of same. 28 May 1777. The lease for 99 years @ 8 pounds per year of
      > 100 acres, joining Black Gut Neck on Town Swamp, Roanoke River.
      Signed
      > by: Billy (x) Blunt, Wineoak (x) Charles, Ben (x) Smith, Walter (X)
      > Gibson, Thomas (X) Roberts, John (X) Ra nndel, Whitmell (x)
      Tuffdick,
      > Billey (X) Cane, Lewis (x) Tufdick, Billey (x) Baskit, William (x)
      > Pugh, Williams (x) Roberts, James (x) Mitchell. WITNESSES: Zedekiah
      > Stone Jr., Thomas Whitmell Jr., May Ct 1777. John Johntston CJC
      >
      > 298-(316) Whitmell Tufdick, Wineoak Charles Jr., Billie Roberts,
      Lewis
      > Tufdick, West Tufdick, Billie Blunt Sr., Billie Blunt Jr., John
      > Rodgers, John Smith, Billie Pugh, Billie Baskit, John Hicks, Samuel
      > Bridgers, John Owens, James Mitchell, Isaac Cornelius, Tom Tomas, &
      > Walter Gibson, chieftans of the Tuskarora Indians to Thomas Pugh,
      > Willie Jones & William Williams. 2 Dec 1775. For the yearly rent of
      80
      > Duffield Blankets, 80 Oznatrig Shirts, 80 prs of boots, 50 pounds of
      > powder & 150 pounds of shot. 2000 acres which was part of the land
      > called the Indian Lands, joining Town Swamp, the old path that leads
      > to Unarowick Swamp, James Wiggins, Unrinta Road, Quitana Swamp,
      > Rocquist, Jones, Williams, Pugh, excepting 300 acres Watking now
      > tends. Signed by: Bille(x)Cain, John Hicks, John Rogers, John(X)
      Owen,
      > James(X)Hicks, Bille(x)Smith, Bille(x)Mitchell, Billie(x)Pugh,
      > Wineoak(x)Chalres, James(X) Mitchell, Bille(X)Blunt, Jr.,
      > Saml(X)Bridgers, Tom Roberts...
      >
      > Stated at http://www.poortown.com/fronts/106frontpage
      >
      > "It is interesting to note that a John Cale sold land to Thomas W.
      > Pugh about the year of 1787. Thomas Pugh is noted for his
      transactions
      > with the Tuscarora Indians of Bertie County during the 1700s. He
      > became one of the largest property owners in the county acquiring
      > Indian land."
      >
      > "From Sketches of Pitt County, a brief history of the county
      > 1704-1910. King, Henry Thomas. (c) 1911 Edwards & Broughton Printing
      > Company, Raleigh, N.C.. (pp 104-105)
      >
      > CHAPTER TWENTY.
      >
      > Third Census—Yankee Hall—Second War With England—Two Pitt Companies
      at
      > Beacon Island—Their Pay-roll—Retreat and Amusing Incident—Fourth
      > Census—Occupations—Bridge at Greenville—Greenville Academies—Fifth
      > Census—John Joyner.
      >
      > The Census of 1810 showed little increase of Pitt's population from
      > 1800, it being only 85, the total being 9,169.
      >
      > About this time some New England tradesmen settled on Tar River at
      > Yankee Hall, and it soon became a center of business for much of the
      > country to the north thereof.
      >
      > There is little record of the men of Pitt in the second war with
      > England. North Carolina being far removed from the main seats of the
      > war, perhaps not so many of her men took part, and of those who did,
      > their history is lost in that of others. North Carolina was invaded
      in
      > 1813 and in response to Governor Hawkins' call for troops, two
      > companies from Pitt, about 125 men and officers, were enlisted.
      >
      > Of one company, George Eason was Captain; Sumner Adams, Lieutenant;
      > Samuel Albritton, Ensign; John Allen, Peter Adams, Josiah Daniel,
      > Moses Hatton, Sergeants; Thomas Adams, Levin Hall, Samuel Johnston,
      > George Knox, Corporals. Of the second, Samuel Vines was Captain;
      Isaac
      > Downs, Lieutenant; William Rountree, Ensign; Benjamin Bell, Elias
      > Carr, Willie Clements, Sergeants; Benjamin Johnston, Levy Pearscen,
      > Nathaniel Pettit, Moses Turnage, Corporals.
      >
      > The field officers were, Hardy Smith, Brigadier General; Howell
      Cobb,
      > Lieutenant Colonel Commander;* William Pugh*, Second Major.
      >
      > The privates were, of Captain Eason's Company: Ambrose Arnold,
      Watson
      > W. Anderson, Levin Adams, William W. Andrews, John Baldwin, Miles
      > Britton, Noah Buck, William Bryan, Noah Beddard, Henry Barnhill,
      > Jonathan Briley, William Brooks, Reading Bell, Stephen Careney,
      Willie
      > Bell, William Cammel, Charles Crisp, William Crawford, William
      Downs,
      > Jesse Dudley, Frederick Dinkins, William Elks, Henry Fulford,
      Stephen
      > Fulford, Reuben Flake, William Galloway, William Highsmith, Thomas
      > Holliday, Matthew James, George Killebrew, William Little, Benjamin
      > Leggett, Josiah Mills, William Manning, Allen Moore, Asia Moore,
      > William Moore, Noah Magowns, William Mitchel, Samuel Nobles, Alfred
      > Nelson, William J. Parkston, James Robertson, Reuben Rollins,
      Richard
      > Eaton Rivers, Henry Smith, Luther Spain, Benjamin Shivers, John
      Tison,
      > Jacob Turner, Isaac Turner, William Teal, Willoughby Whitehurst,
      > Garison Williams, Solomon Whichard, Calven Herrington."
      >
      > Jeff once mentioned that this line was fairly well known, it
      is..until
      > you try to find your part of it.
      >
      > Documentation of an earlier deed:
      > Tuscarora Chief William "Billy" Pugh is issued land grant on
      > Saddletree swamp in northern part
      > of Robeson County. (Issued May 9, 1753, North Carolina Land Grant,
      > Bladen County, File #415,
      > Book2.)
      >
      > And earlier yet of Daniel of Nansemond:
      >
      > Volume 1, Pages 146-147
      >
      > Att a Councill held at Yorke Court house
      > Jan'r'y 26'th 1690 [1690-91]
      >
      > Present
      >
      > The R't Hono'ble Francis Nicholson Esq'r
      > their Ma's Lieu't Gov'r
      >
      > Nath'll Bacon Esq're William Cole Esq're Sec:
      > Coll John Page
      >
      > M'r William Duckingfield an Inhabitant of North Carolina ac-
      > quainting this Board that about the beginning of this Month Eight
      or
      > ten of the Kings and Great Men of the Tuskaroro Indians Complained
      > to him that two of their Indians were wanting, and they Imagined
      the
      > English had killed them, but a Maherin Indian being present told
      them
      > that Dan'll Push of Nansimond County in this Government had Sent
      > them to Barbados, on which they threatened Revenge, but on his the
      > said Duckingfields informing them, that would Cause the English to
      > make Warr against them, and it would be better for them to goe to
      > the Gov'r of this Place and be would inquire into it and doe them
      Jus-
      > tice, they Seemed Satisfied therewith and said they would goe to
      the
      > Gov'r when the Weather was Warmer, and the said Duckingfield fur-
      > ther declaring that being at Nansimond he was Credibly Informed
      that
      > said Pugh had Sent four of the Tuskaroro Indians out of this
      Country,
      > two in one Prout to Barbados, and two in one Tyler to one of the
      other
      > Islands on Consideration whereof Coll John Lear is desired to
      inquire
      > into the same, and take the Examinations and depositions of Such
      per-
      > sons as are knowing therein, and return them to the Councill at
      James
      > Citty the 18'th Feb'r'y next, and that he ord'r the said Push to
      make his
      > personall appearance at the said Councill.
      >
      > . . .
      >
      > I hope some of this has helped! My question is, it appears you have
      > two Pugh lines???? If so, I hope you will share more info with us.
      > And my second question is, do you have any living Pugh's that would
      > consider doing a Pugh DNA kit, from either line as the NC is not
      > counted here? Soon...hopefully.
      >
      > Thanks for joining us and opening my eyes a little bit more. My best
      > wishes in your search and I hope that there are some here who can
      help
      > you advance in your quest!
      >
      > Tamara Bridges Mitchell
      >

      > --- In Tracing_Pugh_Origins@yahoogroups.com, "sharon" <sherilou7@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > My name is Sheri and I am new to the group, thank you for
      letting me
      > > join.
      > > I am interested in any information on a William Pugh, that in
      1769
      > > bought 100 acres from Mary and Ephraim Seamonds [Simmons]. I
      know that
      > > Mary's father was William Pugh, but was wondering if this were
      him or a
      > > brother of Mary's or possibly a nephew.
      > > I am also searching for a connection to a William Pugh, a
      Tuscaroran
      > > chieftain listed on the Indian Woods, Bertie County, NC land
      lease of
      > > 1767.
      > > Any and all help would be truly be appreciated.
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > >
      > > Sheri

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic