1Hugh Pugh (1746-1818) Huge Brick Wall Coming Down

  • jkpugh_mi
    Nov 14, 2006
      Hi,

      My name is Jeff Pugh. I created this group to take genealogical
      research on the Pugh lines to the next level. This Pugh group is
      unique in that it incorporates the science of DNA analysis into the
      study of Pugh genealogy.

      I began genealogical research about a year ago and soon discovered
      that may ggg-grandfather was Lewis Pugh (1811-1882). Lewis was
      probably born in what is now Hancock County, WV. Hancock County is
      the northernmost tip of the little finger of WV that lies between OH
      on the west and PA on the east. From March to July of this year, my
      focus was on the Hugh Pugh (1746-1818)line. Hugh brought his family
      to Brooke County, VA (now Hancock County, WV) about 1800. I have
      studied the growth of this one Pugh line and it is incredible!!

      Since July, I have been researching other Pugh lines, particularly
      those that migrated west across PA. I have a number of theories as
      to where my Lewis came from, and many involve the Hugh Pugh line, but
      last Thursday I received some very exciting news. I submitted to a
      DNA project back in June and, for the longest time, I did not
      match any of the lines represented there. Well, last Thursday I got
      a match. What a great feeling!! The person that I matched comes
      from the Robert ap Hugh (1655-1717) line. Great news for me and
      very compelling news for those working on other Pennsylvania Pugh
      lines. The Pugh DNA database is growing, but it is growing rather
      slowly at this point. I would like to see the research take off at
      a faster clip.

      There has been quite a bit of work done on what I refer to as the
      Hugh Pugh line but nothing I have seen accurately goes back any
      further than Hugh's father, Hugh Pugh (1712-1754). In my
      nomenclature, the father is Hugh Pugh I and the son is Hugh Pugh
      II. I have adopted this nomenclature to allow for simplified
      communications when working with other researchers on the Hugh Pugh
      line.

      As we all know, there were many Hugh Pughs and some researchers have
      confused Hugh Pugh I who lived in Machackemeck, NY with another Hugh
      Pugh (1699-1749) who married Mary Cadwallader Jones. This Hugh
      lived and died in Chester County, PA and also had a son, Hugh Pugh
      (1748-??) who married Mary Cyder. The son, Hugh, had only one hand,
      according to his father's will, and became a well known school
      teacher. The two Hughs just mentioned are of the James M. Pugh I
      (my nomenclature again) line, who was the son of Evan and Sarah (??)
      Pugh. It is possible that all of these Hughs are related, but I
      have not discovered the connection yet. You can see the potential
      in this information, however, since I currently have Evan as a
      brother to Robert ap Hugh. Ellis is also thought to be related to
      this line.

      Future DNA testing of individuals will help to prove (or disprove)
      the relationships that I just mentioned. I also believe that there
      is a very high liklihood that the Hugh Pugh (1746-1818) line that
      grew out of what is now Hancock County, WV is actually related to
      the Robert ap Hugh, Evan Pugh and Ellis Pugh lines. It would be
      amazing if we could connect all of these lines through DNA testing!!

      There are currently only 23 Pughs involved in the DNA study and none
      at all are known to be of the Hugh Pugh line. We definitely need
      some Pughs from the Evan and Ellis lines as well. There are many
      Pughs that can trace their ancestry back to Pennsylvania but get
      stuck in the 1800's. Unless their ancesters were of the Quaker
      faith or belonged to one of the more organized Church of England
      parishes, the early records are scant. Fortunately, the science of
      DNA analysis is now being applied to genealogical research. The
      more people that get involved, the quicker some big questions will
      be answered.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic