New to the group

  • JENNIFER HIPP
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 13, 2005
      Hello,
       I'm a mother of 3 and my youngest Tucker  was born valentines day of 04. At birth he had a major stridor, to the point they had to run him to the nursery to inabaited him. They then transported him to cooks children in Ft. Worth, Texas. He was diagnosed with serve trach laryngamalagia. At that point I had no idea what went along with a trach (machines and etc). But I was okay with it for the point that I would not be scared that someone would upset him and be afraid that he would have problems breathing. Then we found out a wk later that he also has serve reflex. They then did a fundo nesion surgery on his stomach. We finely got to go home when his was 6 wks old. We were unable to get nursing, because insurance said I was asking for constoildy care. He was at home for about 5 wks when he had a major blood hem rage of the lungs. (he drained in his own blood) I was home alone with my 2 daughters Caitlyn 5 and Emily 1 when this happen. He was couching up so much blood you could not even keep him suctioned. Thank god that my 5 yr old had it together, but we had explain every thing to her from the get go with her. She was right by my side and he would not have made it if she was not there to help. He was then carefighted to cooks hospital and where we thought he was fine until it happen again and they started to bag him and he was then sent upstairs to picu. He was then put oh the isolator. His setting where so high that they were talking about but him on eckmo. (where they but quarters size hoses in his neck and by pass is lungs in to fake lung then back to him) We did not know if he was going to pull through it seemed as it got worse before it got better. A week went by and it was time to make the choice. Lucky enough they were able to turn it down enough that we had hope. He then came home 2 months, after the ordeal. The scare thing is that them told me that the chance of it happening again is the same as it ever happening. We then received nursing because of all of that. But it was only 40 hrs a wk. We have been every luck after all of that, we have not been back to the hospital. He did get the flu and rsv in February, which then we received more hours to keep home.But we seem to be doing better now. He has alot of delays physical, they say its because he was completely out of 2 months during May. I really gald that I found other parents that have went thought and understand what hard times we have. I have family support but no one really understands until they come over and stay. I'm only 26 and I really have some difficult times because I was such a active parent before and you think twice before doing anything because you do not want to take the risk of get them sick. I stay home with the kids and my husband travels with work. I'm just really glad that I have found a group to come. I wish I had know sooner about yall.

      Prayers for all the kidos

      Jennifer Archer, Texas
      Tucker 14mo trach G button at birth

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • aw82797
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 14, 2005
        Welcome to the group Jennifer, It sounds like you have had quite and
        adventure since Tucker was born. I am glad you found this site also
        as just someone to talk to and ask questions to is such a Big help.
        My son Hunter is 20 months old and severely delayed he just learned
        how to sit up at 18 months and he spent 24 weeks of 2004 in the
        hospital, every time he was discharged he was readmitted 3 weeks
        later and the bad thing was no one ever knew why, Grrrr. I only get
        nursing care because I have to work ( I had to go back to keep our
        health insurance, or I would be home where my heart is) and my son
        has the g tube, trache, oxygen. So unfortunately my 3 yr old doesn't
        get as much attention anymore. I also only get 40 hrs a week.are
        doing a great job for how young you are and please know that you are
        not alone at your young age dealing with all these things, I am only
        24.

        Angela Norris,
      • Raven Davis
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 14, 2005
          wow  what a story  I thought my Jonathan had given us a run for our money when he needed to get his trach at 4.5 months and come home on a ventilator, but it seems like your little Tucker beat that.  And for you to have to do it basically alone  you are a strong woman.  I used to get 24hr nursing care with Jonathan when he first came home then once he was off the ventilator we slowly decreased it to 10 hrs a day but that is still more than you have and I can not imagine how difficult it must be for you with so little help.  Jonathan now gets to go to a medical daycare during the day.  It is staffed with RN's LPN's and CNA's he can go monday through friday 6a to 6p.  Naturally since I dont work he doesnt go that much because hey lets face it I like having him home with me,  but what a blessing it is on the days when I have lots to do.  I have somewhere where he can go and I know he is being taken care of so I can devote some of my time to my 3 yr old and household chores and things without worrying if he is ok or not.   Once again I just wanted to say what an amazing woman you are for being able to do this virtually by yourself.  Oh and welcome to the group.  By the way I wouldnt worry about him being delayed too much therapy can do wonders.  Jonathan as down syndrome as well as the trach and g-tube and the doctors swore he wouldnt walk before 3 well he turned 2 back in December well on christmas to be exact and this week I can officially say that he is walking.

          take care and look forward to talking with you in the group

          raven denicola
          mom to austin 3 and jonathan 2 ds av canal repaired trach g-tube and glasses

          Smurf Smile Sexy Smiles So Smile Smurf Syle Ciao Ciao :)

          Do you Yahoo!?
          Make Yahoo! your home page
        • JENNIFER HIPP
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 14, 2005
            Thank you, but you know if someone would have asked you in the beginning if you could handle something like this, if you were me I would tell you NO. But it funny how we are dealt these cards and we handle it. And if he was perfactly health I would not know where to begin. This has became are normal. Well, it sounds as if you have your hands full too. I dont not realize that they had daycares for are kidos. Once again thank you and I hope to talk to you again. God bless

            Jennifer
            Mom of Caitlyn 6, Emily 2, and Tucker 14months trach and g tube

            Raven Davis <raven_1211980@...> wrote:
[...]

            Community email addresses:
              Post message: Tracheostomy_infants@onelist.com
              Subscribe:    Tracheostomy_infants-subscribe@onelist.com

            Shortcut URL to this page:
              http://www.onelist.com/community/Tracheostomy_infants

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • JENNIFER HIPP

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 19, 2005
                jennifer,

                welcome to the group.. i haven't been in the group very long myself. i haven't posted very much either. sorry to respond to your email so late. i just got back from birmingham, al with our son joel (18 months) with a trach. he was born a 22 weeker part of quadruplets. due to being intabaited so long and pulling the tube out and sticking the tube back in, he had to receive a trach before leaving the nicu.

                we went to birmingham for our second opinion since his dr. here said first he was only going to have the trach 6 months tops. then as time went by he told us joel had a good air way and he was really to busy with other patients at this time. so we thought it was time for a second opinion. we found out today he is going to have surgery next year at this time to reverse the trach. it's suppose to be some long drawn out surgery that requires intubation a week in the hospital after there done with the surgery. talking about removing his cartilage in his ribs i'm not really sure of the name of the surgery. i know this sounds crazy not asking the procedure name. but, when the dr. finished explaining what was going on and what needed to be done all i wanted to do was get out of there. so on the 5 hour trip home i was able to absorb it in. now thinking of all the questions i should of asked. which we have plenty of time before the surgery.

                sorry to get of the subject. i was just telling my husband on the way home i was going to email the group and ask if anyone new about this kind of surgery.

                jennifer....keep in touch feel free to email me with any questions.. i'm always around.. :0)

                candice

                Do you Yahoo!?
              • mandi peck
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 20, 2005
                  Hi Candi,
                  My little girl was supposed to only have
                  her thach six months to she was a 24 weeker. And she
                  pulled the vent out loads also. We are going to the
                  ent today to hopefully get her last laser surgery on
                  her throat sceduled he tryed to do surgery once but
                  she had reflux to bad to do it at the time. So
                  hopefully today we get good news you really have a
                  miracle for a 22weeker to survive my 24 weeker had a
                  hard time. I wish you and your little one the best of
                  luck from mandirenee22@...
                  mom to Alissa 24 weeker
                  --- candi prevost <candi_jp1997@...> wrote:
                  > jennifer,
                  >
                  > welcome to the group.. i haven't been in the group
                  > very long myself. i haven't posted very much either.
                  > sorry to respond to your email so late. i just got
                  > back from birmingham, al with our son joel (18
                  > months) with a trach. he was born a 22 weeker part
                  > of quadruplets. due to being intabaited so long and
                  > pulling the tube out and sticking the tube back in,
                  > he had to receive a trach before leaving the nicu.
                  >

                  > we went to birmingham for our second opinion since
                  > his dr. here said first he was only going to have
                  > the trach 6 months tops. then as time went by he
                  > told us joel had a good air way and he was really to
                  > busy with other patients at this time. so we thought
                  > it was time for a second opinion. we found out today
                  > he is going to have surgery next year at this time
                  > to reverse the trach. it's suppose to be some long
                  > drawn out surgery that requires intubation a week in
                  > the hospital after there done with the surgery.
                  > talking about removing his cartilage in his ribs i'm
                  > not really sure of the name of the surgery. i know
                  > this sounds crazy not asking the procedure name.
                  > but, when the dr. finished explaining what was going
                  > on and what needed to be done all i wanted to do was
                  > get out of there. so on the 5 hour trip home i was
                  > able to absorb it in. now thinking of all the
                  > questions i should of asked. which we have plenty of
                  > time before the surgery.
                  >
                  > sorry to get of the subject. i was just telling my
                  > husband on the way home i was going to email the
                  > group and ask if anyone new about this kind of
                  > surgery.
                  >
                  > jennifer....keep in touch feel free to email me with
                  > any questions.. i'm always around.. :0)
                  >
                  > candice

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Brina Morgan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 20, 2005

                    Hi Candi,

                    My name is Sabrina, and my son Jeshua has been trach since Aug 2001.  He'll will be 4 this June.  Your story sound kinda familiar to my own.  I was in Savannah when I had Jeshua and they had to trach him because his airway got scarred up from the vent tubing (they called it subglottic stenosis).  Before I left GA I was told he would not have the trach long.  But when I came back home to Philadelphia alot of others went down that prolonged this surgery.  Every year since 2002 I have been asking ENT when, when, when.  And every year she would say another year after a bronchoscopy procedure was performed.  Well here we are in 2005 and he is finally going to get his trach removed.   I don't know what the medical term is for removal of the rib, but to my understanding I believe the trach removal is called Decannulation I don't know if there is another medical term for it or not.  Jeshua is going to go through the same procedure your child will go through. It sounds like a very scary procedure but my husband and I are trusting that God's hands will be in this. I hope this tibit of info is helpful for you.

                    Stay encouraged

                    Sabrina mom of Jeshua (trach, G-Tube)

                    Sabrina Morgan...... LOOKING FOR A JOB? WHY NOT SEEK A CHRISTIAN JOB, AT ChristianJobs.com http://www.ChristianJobs.com?affiliateid=71045

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • JOGall1292@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 20, 2005
                      Sorry, I wasn't finished and accidentally sent that last email.

                      Anyway, one of us with her at all times so we didn't get much sleep that week. But she is perfect now and it was all worth it to get rid of that trache and get her on the right track. Our surgeon is the best airway surgeon in the world so I would recommend taking your children to him to get his opinion. He is at Cincinnati Children's Hospital and his name is Robin Cotton. Please look into them. I would not take my baby to anyone but the best. I got three medical opinions before I decided. He is the best. They have a Ronald McDonald House right next door to the hospital and it was lovely. I would recommend looking into it.

                      Any more questions, feel free to ask away. Life is good again!!
                      Jeanne
                    • candi prevost
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 20, 2005

                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 20, 2005

                          mandi peck <mandirenee22@...> wrote:
                          Hi Candi,
                                        My little girl was supposed to only have
                          her thach six months to she was a 24 weeker. And she
                          pulled the vent out loads also. We are going to the
                          ent today to hopefully get her last laser surgery on
                          her throat sceduled he tryed to do surgery once but
                          she had reflux to bad to do it at the time. So
                          hopefully today we get good news you really have a
                          miracle for a 22weeker to survive my 24 weeker had a
                          hard time. I wish you and your little one the best of
                          luck from mandirenee22@...
                          mom to Alissa 24 weeker
                          --- candi prevost <candi_jp1997@...> wrote:
                          > jennifer,

                          > welcome to the group.. i haven't been in the group
                          > very long myself. i haven't posted very much either.
                          > sorry to respond to your email so late. i just got
                          > back from birmingham, al with our son joel (18
                          > months) with a trach. he was born a 22 weeker part
                          > of quadruplets. due to being intabaited so long and
                          > pulling the tube out and sticking the tube back in,
                          > he had to receive a trach before leaving the nicu.
                          >

                          > we went to birmingham for our second opinion since
                          > his dr. here said first he was only going to have
                          > the trach 6 months tops. then as time went by he
                          > told us joel had a good air way and he was really to
                          > busy with other patients at this time. so we thought
                          > it was time for a second opinion. we found out today
                          > he is going to have surgery next year at this time
                          > to reverse the trach. it's suppose to be some long
                          > drawn out surgery that requires intubation a week in
                          > the hospital after there done with the surgery.
                          > talking about removing his cartilage in his ribs i'm
                          > not really sure of the name of the surgery. i know
                          > this sounds crazy not asking the procedure name.
                          > but, when the dr. finished explaining what was going
                          > on and what needed to be done all i wanted to do was
                          > get out of there. so on the 5 hour trip home i was
                          > able to absorb it in. now thinking of all the
                          > questions i should of asked. which we have plenty of
                          > time before the surgery.

                          > sorry to get of the subject. i was just telling my
                          > husband on the way home i was going to email the
                          > group and ask if anyone new about this kind of
                          > surgery.

                          > jennifer....keep in touch feel free to email me with
                          > any questions.. i'm always around.. :0)

                          > candice

                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                          Community email addresses:
                            Post message: Tracheostomy_infants@onelist.com
                            Subscribe:    Tracheostomy_infants-subscribe@onelist.com

                          Shortcut URL to this page:
                            http://www.onelist.com/community/Tracheostomy_infants

                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                        • Tony Sizemore
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 20, 2006

                            Hi everyone. I don’t know how I did find you all sometime in the last 21/2 years but I am here now. I have a 2/12 yr old little girl that has been Trached from birth. She is doing great.

                            If you get a chance stop in see here site.. http://66.57.22.77/Mackenzie/index.htm

                            I started it a few days after she was born.

                            I am looking forward to meeting everone.

                            Tony Sizemore

                            www.tsizemore.dns2go.com

                            "Value the failure as much as a finished product. Realize that a failure is only a step in the process of success."

                          • kellie davidson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 20, 2006
                              Hi Tony,
                              Welcome to the group!! You did a great job on your daughters website we really enjoyed it.  Are you guys planning to go to the trach conference in June?
                              Take Care,
                              Kellie,
                              Momma to Madison 11, Keegan 5, Elijah & Riley 4 (twins), Samara & Seth 2  (twins)
                              Seth- Trached, Vented 24/7, G-tube & The love of our lives!!!

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 22, 2006

                                No we aren’t planning going. I wish it was closer to us. Thanks for the complement about the site. Things have been so crazy around here I have let the updates slide to the way side.

                                Mac is sick. She has a MESA Staff infection and or a cold so we are not having a good couple of weeks. She was suppose to have endoscope done last Wednesday to see if they can get some granulation tissue out from above her Trach and open her airway more. She was starting to spend some time with the speaking value on until she got sick.

                                Last night was really bad. Her SAT’S where on the floor all night. She never got above 97% and she dropped below 80 a bunch of times. The nurse we had last night is not one of normal girls and I have some issue on her suction technique. I think that had a lot to do with it.

                                We will see how things go today. We may be going to the Hospital. I just have the feeling to if we go, they are not going to let her come home…..

                                Tony Sizemore

                                www.tsizemore.dns2go.com

                                "Could we change our attitude, we should not only see life differently, but life itself would come to be different. Life would undergo a change of appearance because we ourselves had undergone a change of attitude."

                                Katherine Mansfield

                                1888-1923, Writer

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 22, 2006
                                  I'm sorry to hear that your little pumpkin is sick. I hope she gets to feeling better soon.  I did not catch where you guys are from but is it a cold weather state?  Still colds & flu's going around? We live in GA but we are from MI. We got so tired of spending our winters in & out of the hospital that we decided to relocate and we love the warm winters. Oh, it just dawned on me that you must be from North or South Carolina based on the hospital I saw in the photos. We take Seth to Cincinnati Children's Hospital.
                                  Sorry to hear that your not going to the trach conference. You would have met so many great people & the kids always love to see other kids with trachs & g-tubes!! We had planned on going but Seth has to have surgery on May 24th so we will be in Cinci instead. Glad I didn't buy the tickets already:)
                                  Take care and we will send lots of get well vibes your way hope Mac feels better soon.
                                  Kind Regards,
                                  The Davidsons

[...]

                                  Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.
                                  Great rates starting at 1¢/min.