Mum with trachey son

  • lesley841366
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hi,

      My name is Lesley. My son Ben was born 15 weeks premature weighing
      1lb 15onz. After beinging incubated 3 times, he could not deal with
      it and his airway started to narrow after 2 weeks being on CPAP.
      This was when Ben was 9 weeks old (34weeks gestation. He was
      transfered to another hospital were they performed the operation to
      insert the trachey. He was hospitalised for 5 months on ventalation
      for 2 and CPAP for 2 then weined of CPAP in 1 month and allowed
      home. Ben also has picked up the MRSA bug in the trachey site. I
      now have Ben home 2 months with the trachey but requires no oxygen,
      although i have to carry it incase of an emergency. Ben has no
      other disabilities only the trachey. He now weighs 9lb 2onz and is
      7 months old and feeding well on spoon feeds. Doctors at the
      hospital have not told us why Bens airway had narrowed, but we guess
      it was to do with the incubation!!
      I would love to hear from anyone else who has a similar situation as
      us! Actually i would love to hear from anyone as i have not had any
      contact with anyone with a trachey and would like to hear there
      experience.

      Thanx
      Les
    • Sarah
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
        Hi Lesley,
        My son has a trach because of scar tissue most likely caused by being intubated.  The medical term for what he has is subglotic stenosis.  He wasn't premature, he was intubated because he aspirated some meconium (sp?).  He's now 4 monthes old and 12lbs 10 ounces. (he was born 7lbs 6 ounces) He's sick again, keeps getting infections.  But the only symptom is really thick secretions.  So besides that he's a very happy little guy.  He even likes the taste of antibiotics :).  Welcome to the group & God bless!
        -Sarah
        mom of Luke, subglotic stenosis, born 3-3-04

        lesley841366 <lesley.nutt@...> wrote:
[...]

        Community email addresses:
          Post message: Tracheostomy_infants@onelist.com
          Subscribe:    Tracheostomy_infants-subscribe@onelist.com