Medically fragile foster care

  • Anna T.
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2001
      Margie,
      I envy you, you're living my dream! One of these days, when I own my home and am financially stable, I hope to do medically fragile foster care. I'm a foster care "graduate", one of those who married to get out of foster care, so at first I was drawn towards older children, however when Hope and Joseph were in the NICU six of the twelve babies there were drug addicted or medically fragile babies that nobody wanted. When looking into the possibility of a short-term placement in an institution for Sunshine (during my pregnancy with Hope and Joseph) I visited the state institution, where medically fragile children (most of them older, but many of them toddlers or preschoolers) line the walls. The nurse to patient ratio is 1:25 in some areas. They keep the kids alive, because they're legally required to do so, but that's all they do. It made me sick. Having seen how many times doctors are wrong, I know that many of these "hopeless" children would have a chance in a loving home. Sure they may never be "normal", but these kids CAN achieve things! Of course I'm preaching to the choir here!

      Anna

      Laugh Loud. Love Unconditionally.
      Share your Blessings. Be who you Are.

      http://www.amitysworld.com