Not a yeast rash after all.....

  • stanisz@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 1999
      Warning -- not all doctor's know what they are talking about!

      Just wanted to let everyone know that we were diagnosed with
      a yeast rash under the trach color over 2 months ago. I fought
      it over and over with Nystatin Cream (ENT prescribed it). Went
      to the ped last Friday to find out that it is just dry irritated skin
      and
      the Nystatin Cream was drying it out more. We are now using
      over the counter Curel Lotion -- cleared it up in two days flat.

      Tammy, mom to Lauren -- 10 months / trached at 3 months
    • tamiko
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 1999
        Congrantulations Tammy!!!

        You have unfortunately come to the right conclusion. A lot of doctors are
        just fine with regular kids but few can consistently make the right
        decisions for your daughter without a lot of help from .....you. You're the
        expert. You're the one who has to find out about all the weird things that
        happen along the way...like crazy rashes or funky bacterial infections or
        what meds are effective for what situation. Doctors these days have too
        little time, too many patients and maybe not enough resources. I'm really
        happy you came to this realization after something like a rash and not what
        flipped the switch for us. Our nightmare ped (who we are no longer with) had
        Eli on a drug that they won't give to adults long-term because it's a
        horrible depressant. He'd been on it since birth and was only supposed to
        continue for maybe a month, at most. She kept him on it because she couldn't
        get it through her thick head that he'd been on it because of being
        early...not because he's a dwarf. I took him off at 7 months when he got the
        stomach flu for the first time. That's when I saw his first smile. I'm still
        really pissed about the whole thing. Congrats again, I'm sooo proud of you!

        Tamiko (they used to call me tami when i was a kid) mom to Eli, 2.5 yrs with
        achondroplasia and trach