my prs baby

  • loligschlaeger@JUNO.COM
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 2, 2001
      hi my name is Laura and my baby has prs. and cleft palate and a trach
      tube. she was born on oct.30 of 2000. she is doing well now.
    • flor tiran
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 3, 2001
        --- loligschlaeger@... wrote:
        > hi my name is Laura and my baby has prs. and cleft
        > palate and a trach
        > tube. she was born on oct.30 of 2000. she is doing
        > well now.
        > HI LAURA, I'M GLAD TO HEAR THAT YOUR BABY IS DOING
        FINE. KEEP THE FAITH BECAUSE IT DOES GET BETTER.
        MY NAME IS YVETTE AND I ALSO HAVE A TRACH BABY(10
        MONTHS OLD); HE WAS BORN 2/28/00,WEIGHING 2LBS.6OZ.
        ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT WE'RE VERY FORTUNATE TO HAVE
        THESE MIRACLE BABIES.

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • loligschlaeger@JUNO.COM
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 3, 2001
          Hi everyone!
          Boy, someday's it's so hard taking care of an infant with a trach. And
          then when you have to go somewhere and it seems that you have to pack
          everything but the kitchen sink. Ha Ha
          The very first time Sierra had a little pinkish mucus coming out of her
          trach scared my to death. Sierra is only 2 months old and we have our
          first appointment with the plastic doctor. Hopefully she will only have
          the trach for about a year. I was so scared when they told me the was
          going to put the trach in her and it wasn't because of her getting the
          trach it was cause I didn't know if i would be able to take care of her.
          Laura
          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • loligschlaeger@JUNO.COM
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 3, 2001
            Brenda,
            Your daughter's medical supply company should have gave her a battery
            backup when they gave her the suction machine. That is a must! I would be
            calling and complaining. I do take Sierra out of the house cause I have 3
            other children that I have to take places and do things with. But I am
            careful of other people, I don't let other people hold her or touch her.
            And anyone that comes to my house I stop them at the door and ask if they
            are sick. Someday's I get frustrated also. With her not being able to cry
            sometimes its hard to understand what she wants. But we deal with it, we
            have to there is no other way. Laura
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 4, 2001
              We make our own saline. I ran out of the droplets that the hospital gave
              me.
              here is the recipe:
              2 level teaspoons salt
              1 quart water

              combine salt and water in a sauce pan. Heat on stove burner. Bring to a
              full boil for 10 minutes.

              Store in a clean jar for up to one week. Label jar with date solution was
              made.

              Yes I use saline every time I suction. Did you mean neck ties, She
              doesn't have a neck tie to hold the trach on the child? Laura
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 4, 2001
                Hi Stephanie,
                Yes, sometimes I think I am real crazy for having 4 kids. But having
                twins along with a trach baby must be difficult at times?
                Michael is 11, Shelby is 9, Matt is 7 and Sierra my trach baby is 2
                months.
                Sierra has PRS Pierre Robin Sequence which is a baby born with a birth
                defect of a cleft palate and a small lower jaw bone. Laura
              • sexymamababy@aol.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 5, 2001
                  hey..sorry its been so long since ive written..but i thought id give u an
                  update on how kelly is doing. she is talking now...w/o the passe...and she
                  says momma, dada, hi, bye, and she is doing well with her sign language.
                  shes walking all over the place..and she is starting to run. the doctor said
                  he wants to go in this summer and check her airway and see how its doing..and
                  if its not doing as well as it should, then he wants to wait till shes 3 or
                  4. but hopefully, she will out grow it on her own.

                  other then that, shes doing great!!!! she gets a cold now and then, but
                  nothing worth putting her in the hospital...her christmas this year was
                  great...she didnt have to spend it in the hospital!! HEY!!!!!

                  Lisa, mother of one
                  Kelly Janelle Wilbur, 17 months
                  trached at 5 months
                • Brenda Jagger
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 9, 2001
                    Hi,
                    You have such a positive attitude about your little one her trach. My
                    daughter's 4 month old has a trach. Acutally he came home at 4 months of
                    age and is nearly 5 months. She has such a bad attitude I find myself
                    getting frustrated with her and yet I don't really know how she feels. He
                    only has the suction machine that plugs in right now and the battery back up
                    machine won't be in for another week or so. She feels like she can't go
                    anywhere. Do you take your little one out? Does she have to have oxygen or
                    a humidity cap over the trach?

                    Also, do you use saline drops every time you suction? If so, where do you
                    get them? Liz also needs to find one of the trach collar things that wrap
                    around the back of the neck to help keep the trach in place.

                    Sorry I have so many questions. Hope you have time to reply.
                    Thanks, Brenda (a grandma)

                  • SommerHN1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 9, 2001
                      Hi Brenda,

                      I am mom to Daniel - 10m, he has had his trach 6 months now.  Daniel is on
                      oxygen and we do go out, mostly to the dr.  We try to keep him away from
                      germs, as he does not have a strong immune system.  It would depend on your
                      situation as to whether you would want to take him out and where you would
                      want to take him.  You have to be very careful about people touching him.
                      Everyone loves to touch babies and dont realize they could jeopordize its
                      health.  As far as supplies go, your DME company should be able to hook you
                      up with everything you need.  Also, in my book, waiting a week for a portable
                      in not acceptable.  What if your loose power?  What if baby needs to go to
                      the dr?  My dr sure doesnt have suction in her office.  You must have a
                      suction machine with you any time you leave the house.

                      Give your daughter time to cope with the trach.  Most of us have a hard time
                      with it.  This is not what we dreamed of when we were pregnant.  Each of us
                      deals a bit differently.  It changes your life in ways that you cant even
                      explain.

                      email if you have more questions,
                      Heather
                      mom to Daniel born March 6, 2000 at 27 weeks.  Bilateral Vocal Cord
                      Paralysis--> Trach and G-Tube 6/1/2000.
                      (and Joseph 4 & Eric 3)
                    • Sortiz5@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 9, 2001
                        Brenda, I am a mom of 5 including a trached child who is 13 months old. Where
                        is your daughter from? She should have received a portable suction when her
                        child was discharged from the hospital. My son NIcholas has had his trach
                        since 10 weeks of age due to subglottic stenosis. He got sick with RSV as an
                        infant and had his trachea damaged when being put on a vent.

                        He had reconstructive surgery done by Dr. Cotton in Ohio back in September.
                        We will go back next month.

                        Nicholas goes everywhere with me and we do not use any nursing care. I used
                        to bring "everything but the kitchen sink" but have learned over time that it
                        wasn't all necessary. Now I carry the portable suction in a backpack along
                        with some extra catheters and a spare trach. I have found other than the
                        diapers and wipes that's all I need.

                        I don't see much activity on this list but I wish you all well and hope that
                        all your babies are happy and having a healthy winter.

                        Stephanie
                      • Sortiz5@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 9, 2001
                          Laura, Your almost as crazy as me. I have 5 children. LOL! What are your
                          children's ages? My oldest is 8, I have 6 year old twins, a three year old,
                          and Nicholas, my ttrached baby is 13 months. Why does your baby have a trach?

                          Stephanie
                        • Sortiz5@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 10, 2001
                            Laura, yes life here can be difficult but I do what I have to. Trach life is
                            getting much easier with time. Suctioning has become as second nature to
                            changing a diaper. I don't let the trach limit Nicholas in any way and I
                            allow him to do the same as my other children. The hardest part is his
                            difficulty communicating and worrying about upcoming surgeries. Aside from
                            that he's just a normal 13 month old with a trach. He's just begun to walk
                            and it's a riot!! He's an angel and the trach doesn't affect him much at all.
                            It's all he knows. Good Luck!!!

                            Stephanie
                          • Brenda Jagger
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 11, 2001
                              HI,
                              I am overwhelmed with the responses I have received. I am printing them all
                              off for my daughter. I am also taking them to the medical supply company
                              and insisting that they overnight a machine from somewhere.

                              As far as the trach tie goes, yes, she has one. She only has one or two and
                              they get smelly and are wearing out with her efforts to clean them.

                              You all are being so helpful.
                              Brenda

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 11, 2001
                                Laura,
                                My grandson was thought to have Pierre Robin, but they determined he didn't.
                                They tried the surgery where they break the jaw and put in the rod, etc. He
                                would have been the smallest baby in the world to have had this done, BUT
                                the bones were too fragile and his jaw bone shattered a bit. He had to heal
                                from a broken jaw. Daughter takes him to the doctor at the end of January
                                for an evaluation to see if his jaw bones are stronger. He has had other
                                problems. He finally was diagnosed with failure to thrive, although
                                daughter and I wonder if he doesn't have Pierre Robin.
                                Brenda

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 11, 2001
                                  FOR MORE INFO.LOOK INTO WEB SITE http://www.enterprises.com/trach misc/chain htm GOOD LUCK! ftiran@...
                                  > >YVETTE > >

                                  Do You Yahoo!?
                                • Sortiz5@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 11, 2001
                                    Brenda, her supply company should also give her trach ties. Is her baby still
                                    in the hospital? The supply company needs to get her supplies right away. I
                                    use chains for my son and I have a lot of extra velcro ties so if you need
                                    some until your supply company helps you, send me your address and I'll send
                                    some out. Have your daughter call her pediatrician and insist they get the
                                    supplies right away. She shouldn't have been allowd to leave the hospital
                                    without the proper supplies. I do not use saline every time I suction. I
                                    don't feel it's necessary but I have boxes full of saline bullets if you need
                                    those. Where are you from?

                                    Stephanie mom to 5
                                  • Brenda Jagger
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 12, 2001
                                      HI,
                                      We are in Oklahoma. I have printed all of your mail and gave it to Liz last
                                      night. I'm hoping she will find time between a demanding hubby, an active 3
                                      year old and the baby to find time to get on-line. I think she was
                                      surprised that she is not the only person out there dealing with this. She
                                      is only 22 and I have to remember that age can affect the way she feels.
                                      She is doing a good job though.
                                      Brenda

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 18, 2001
                                        brenda, hey...its ok to have a lot if questions...i did at first. i only have to suction when she needs it , which, on a good day is maybe 5-6 times a day, but right now shes sick so i have to suction her a lot more. the doctors told us that when she has blood coming out of her trach, its because of her coughing so much, and it irrates her tracha. i use saline when her "snot" is too thick to suction, which isnt very often. we get it from the medical supply place, which supplys everything she needs.
                                        if u have anymore questions, dont be afraid to ask!!!
                                        lisa, mother of one, Kelly Janeele Wilbur 18 months
                                      • Brenda Jagger
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 21, 2001
                                          Hi,
                                          We have been disappointed with the medical supply place Liz is using. She
                                          caanot get saline from them. They finally ordered new trac ties (the one
                                          the baby had was nasty), and they have still been unable to get her a
                                          battery back-up suction. She has one that plugs in but for travel would
                                          feel more secure in having a battery back-up. She is checking into buying
                                          the delee suction (spelling may be wrong). I keep hoping that she will get
                                          on line with you all. Your letters are encouraging.
                                          Thanks,
                                          Brenda
                                          > brenda, hey...its ok to have a lot if questions...i did at first. i only
                                          have to suction when she needs it , which, on a good day is maybe 5-6 times
                                          a day, but right now shes sick so i have to suction her a lot more. the
                                          doctors told us that when she has blood coming out of her trach, its because
                                          of her coughing so much, and it irrates her tracha. i use saline when her
                                          "snot" is too thick to suction, which isnt very often. we get it from the
                                          medical supply place, which supplys everything she needs.
                                          > if u have anymore questions, dont be afraid to ask!!!
                                          > lisa, mother of one, Kelly Janeele Wilbur 18 months
                                          >

                                          > Community email addresses:
                                          > Post message: Tracheostomy_infants@onelist.com
                                          > Subscribe: Tracheostomy_infants-subscribe@onelist.com
                                          >
                                          > Shortcut URL to this page:
                                          > http://www.onelist.com/community/Tracheostomy_infants

                                        • Laura J Oligschlaeger
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 21, 2001
                                            Stephaine,
                                            Do you get your saline bullets through you medical supply company?
                                            I called mine today cause I ran out and they told me they dont supply
                                            them to me. Laura
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 22, 2001
                                              Brenda, If you send me your address I will send you out some saline.

                                              Stephanie
                                            • Sortiz5@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 24, 2001
                                                Yes, I get mine through the medical supply company but your pedi can also
                                                write a persciption for them. I have so many. Again if you want to send me
                                                your address, I'm happy to send you out some. I don't use that many. I don't
                                                use them every time I suction. Only if Nick is really junky or in the
                                                nebulizer. Let me know.

                                                Stephanie mom to 5
                                              • Laura J Oligschlaeger
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jan 26, 2001
                                                  Brenda,
                                                  My ped doctor told me that I can get the saline bullets at the pharmacy
                                                  and that I dont need a perscription for it. Laura
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jan 27, 2001
                                                    You are so kind to offer. I gave Liz the recipe for saline and she is going
                                                    to make some up.
                                                    Brenda

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jan 27, 2001
                                                      The medical company told my daughter they couldn't supply hers either.
                                                      Brenda

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jan 27, 2001
                                                        I cant believe that u have so much trouble getting saline. My daughters
                                                        medical supply company has no problem giving it to us...as much as we need. I
                                                        think you guys need to sit and talk to somebody what they are doing....its
                                                        not right!!! our (your) kids need it..and its not right for them to do this
                                                        to you. sorry for what they are doing to you..hope things get better for you.

                                                        Lisa, mother of one
                                                        Kelly Janelle Wilbur, 18 months, trached at 5 months.