Newbie

  • Sue Dormain
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2000
      Hi everyone

      We are new to this group. Our son is 14 months old and has had his
      trache for almost a year. He originally had it put in for
      obstructive apneas but recently his problem seems to be
      laryngomalacia. The doctors were discussing doing a cricoid split
      but this has been put on hold for the time being. I was wondering is
      anyone has any experience with this surgery? And if so what
      successes/failures were involved?

      Thanks in advance....

      Sue Dormain
    • chinaboundladybug
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2005
        My name is Donna and we're adopting our 6th child, who has a trach.
        Lydia is one month old and in Miami Children's Hospital. She was born
        without a lower jawbone and now has a trach and feeding tube. We
        decided to adopt her when she was two days old. We've only seen
        pictures of her, never seen her in person. She's on meds now for an
        infection, and is taking full feedings. We hope to be able to bring
        her home in a week or two. We've found Aaron's Trach page and have the
        book, so have started to learn what we're in for. Neither of us had
        any idea a trach involved so much care. We live in the Mobile, Al
        area. Anyone else on here live near by? If so, what doctors do you
        use?

        Donna
      • Nuthouse
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2005
          Hello Donna,
          Just a quick note to welcome you to the list. I have a sick child and I'm on
          the phone to several docs this morning so don't have time right now or a
          detailed message, but I wanted you to know that I too am an adoptive mom...5
          (so far) in addition to 2 permanent guardianships and 5 bio kids. 2 of my
          daughters have trachs and my son Bryce who passed away at age 9 (my youngest
          bio baby) had a trach for 8.5 years. One of his many dx's was Pierre Robin
          Syndrome which caused his jaw to be extremely small. I would love to get to
          know you and if there is anything I can help with don't hesitate to ask. I
          ve been doing this awhile and perhaps some of what I have learned can be
          helpful to you and others.

          Congratulations of your new baby. We added our youngest last September. We
          live in Arizona and travelled with 2 of our teenagers and our daughter,
          Brianna, who is vent dependent, all the way to Atlanta, Ga. to pick her up.
          What an adventure!

          Take Care and Welcome!!

          Julie, Tourettes syndrome, mom to: Tigh 22, TS| Aria 20 (she is mom to
          Lillian 1)| Carissa 18 TS, Von Willibrands disease, asthma| Fabian 14,
          Dyslexia, OCD, RAD| Natasha 14, TS, Asthma| Jasmine 10, CP, blind| Amberlyn
          8, Seizures,CP, Autistic, TAPVR (heart defect), cortically blind| Brianna 7,
          spina bifida, ACM II, trach, porta-cath, g-tube, shunt, vent dependent 24/7,
          paraplegic, uses sign language| Heather 19 months, spina bifida, arachnoid
          cysts, trach, porta-cath, shunt, g-tube, vent dependent 24/7.
          Bryce forever 9, Arthrogyposis, trach, g-tube, vent 12/7 kidney transplant
          and much more| Cindy forever 5, CMV.
          Married to Mark: Our Hero.

          See my family: http://img.villagephotos
          com/p/2005-1/927137/Kids2Easter(Medium).JPG

          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2005
            donna,
            hello my name is candice and i have a son almost 19 months with a trach. he was born in mobile, al #3 out of quadruplets. I also have a very close friend a few min. from mobile, al with a son that too has a trach. we became very close friends in the nicu. she also just meet another parent at a dr.'s appt. in birmingham, al with a child that has a trach that lives near mobile, al. oh yeah and i forgot to mention i'm an hour from mobile. i live in ocean springs, ms. i do have some advise about some dr.'s if you would like to hear..  believe me we have been through it... if you would like you can email me candi_jp1997@.... hope to hear from you soon.

            candice

            chinaboundladybug <d831961@...> wrote:
            My name is Donna and we're adopting our 6th child, who has a trach.
            Lydia is one month old and in Miami Children's Hospital.  She was born
            without a lower jawbone and now has a trach and feeding tube.  We
            decided to adopt her when she was two days old.  We've only seen
            pictures of her, never seen her in person.  She's on meds now for an
            infection, and is taking full feedings.  We hope to be able to bring
            her home in a week or two.  We've found Aaron's Trach page and have the
            book, so have started to learn what we're in for.  Neither of us had
            any idea a trach involved so much care.  We live in the Mobile, Al
            area.  Anyone else on here live near by?  If so, what doctors do you
            use?

            Donna

            Community email addresses:
              Post message: Tracheostomy_infants@onelist.com