Sterile Gloves

  • benfjackson2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2005
      Hi folks -

      Administrative question for you all...

      My daughter Emma has a trach and a g-tube, and is just about to turn
      four. We have private insurance, and supplimental Medicaid, since
      home nursing is not covered through private insurance.

      For some time, our enteral supplier (Apria) was sending sterile gloves
      as part of our monthly formula and supply order. They stopped, saying
      MassHealth was not reimbursing them enough per glove.

      My home nursing is talking about no longer working the case if they
      can't get sterile gloves. My local pharmacy does not carry sterile
      gloves, and I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place - I can't get
      the gloves, my supply company won't supply the gloves, and my nurses
      won't work without them.

      Anyone else had to deal with this? How did it work out?

      Thanks!
      Ben
    • ttimes33@juno.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2005
        We've never had sterile gloves (except the 2 that come packed with each
        suction catheter). We have "clean" gloves, which insurance pays for one
        box per month..... we use at least 3 bxs/week, so we get our local
        pharmacy to order them for us by the case (we pay $5/bx, but remember
        these are "clean" vinyl unpowdered & not the sterile ones).

        HTH,
        Margaret

      • SommerHN1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2005
          When my son was trached we used "clean" gloves in the home.  I remember when we were getting trained to come home we were told that at home we were not to use a sterile technique but a clean technique.  Clean means to wash your hands and put on medical gloves before suctioning or any other trach care.  What does your doctor say?  I would imagine that the nurses would need to follow those orders.  I don't understand why they would fuss over gloves.  Also, I do want to add that as time went on, the nurses continued to use gloves but my husband and I didn't.  We would wash our hands but not use gloves.  I hope you are able to resolve your dilemma to everyone's satisfaction.

          Heather
          mom to Daniel 5 Born at 27 weeks. was BVCP now Left Vocal Cord Paralysis--> Trach and G-Tube 6/1/2000. LTP 3/24/03. BPD, VP Shunt, Thal Fundo, reflux, Nissen Fundo, Severe Oral Issues, Moderate Hearing Loss, Decannulated 7/28/03
          (and Joseph 9, Eric 8)
        • Raven Davis
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2005
            hi we never used sterile gloves just the regular ones i dont understand why your nurses would insist on sterile gloves  maybe you could get your physician to call the pharmacy and order the sterile gloves for you i know that alot of times if a doctor says yes she will buy this many per month the pharmacies will carry it or get your doctor to write an order to the nursing company that says standard gloves are all that is required and sterile gloves are not    and last but not least you said your supplier will not ship them because they dont reimburse enough of the cost ask them if you can directly buy them from them

            raven

            Smurf Smile Sexy Smiles So Smile Smurf Syle Ciao Ciao :)

            Yahoo! Personals