Tracfone Samsung Galaxy Centura S738C - Initial impressions

  • tfusr19
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
      Okay, so I activated my S738C via the Tracfone website yesterday. You need the Activation Code/Airtime Pin printed towards the top right side of the invoice that comes with your order.

      After activation, you can go to the Tracfone website to check your balance. You will see:

      Minutes: 600.0 Minutes
      Text Messages: 600 Text Messages
      Data (MB): 600.0 Mb of Web Browsing
      Service End Date 12/24/2013

      If there's a way to do it on the phone, I have not figured out how, but when you request the balance via the website, the information gets send to your phone in a message that you can see.

      The following link works to check your balance from phone (I used WiFi) or PC (you need the last 4 digits of the phone's IMEI #):
      https://www.tracfone.com/direct/CheckBalance?input_phone=<your 10-digit number>

      IMPORTANT:
      Before you activate your phone, you may want to disable cell network data usage by doing the following;
      click the menu button (bottom left side) -> Data usage (under WIRELESS & NETWORKS) -> slide the Mobile data switch to OFF.
      Somehow I used up 22.87KB, so my data balance is now 599.98Mb ^_^ .

      Activation was no problem. Just be sure to follow the enclosed directions. I can make and receive calls, but did not actually complete any calls to test voice quality. I have not yet sent or received any text messages nor have I tried browsing using the cell network.

      The protective shield is nice. AC charger with detachable USB cable is nice.
      There's a lot to learn with this phone. I've been using WiFi to check out may Gmail and Yahoo mail. I like it a lot so far.

      The larger screen compared to my S390G and LG840G is a big plus, and now I can lock this darn phone with a pin code without going through all the manual one time nonsense of my other Tracfones.

      It is very cool that you can rotate the phone and the apps automatically rotate to follow the direction in which you're holding the phone .

      The phone came with installed with Chrome and the built-in browser is decent.

      ====
      I tried voice command during google search, and the darn thing works.
      ====
      Okay, first more on the texting charges:
      1. I put the phone in airplane mode (which means it's disconnected from the cell network), and it still let's me use WiFi - which is a great thing. In AP mode, the phone cannot receive any text messages. Well, guess what ........ I sent a test message (checked balance before and after text was sent - but before I took it out of AP mode) and still got deducted 1 text message even though the phone had not received the text message yet. So matter whether you read the message or it even gets to your phone, you're still gonna' pay one text unit per message sent to you ........ now that really stinks if you're used to the old text charging where you don't get charged until you open the message to read it .

      I did confirm also that sending a SMS message costs 1 text message unit.

      2. Under Messaging(icon)->Menu (button)->Settings, under the MULTIMEDIA MESSAGES section is a check box "Auto -retrieve" (Automatically retrieve messages - it was check by default). It did not have any effect on SMS messages (as expected) and I have not tried sending MMS messages to the phone.

      3. The default browser goes to a Tracfone website that lets you check your balance, add/buy airtime, etc. That page also has some small icons at the top labeled Call (bring up the phone dial pad if you press it), Email (web page to email Tracfone), Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Full Site. Then on the bottom of that page, more small icons Share(Facebook), Tweet, Email(lets you choose email clients to open), and Code (shows Tracfone QR code - what good is that?). Under Settings->General there is an option to set the home page (I'm not planning . I'm not too concerned about this browser at the moment, since there Chrome, and I installed UC browser - my favorite. I have not tried Dolphin (does not come on the phone, but it seems highly rated).

      4. On my full first charge, the battery has lasted about 19 hours - I let it get to 6%). I did do a lot of WiFi, installing apps, etc during this period. It seems to be charging pretty fast ... it's up to 43% in about an 1.25 hrs .

      5. If you're a heavy texter, this phone could become expensive unless we find a way to convert unused voice minutes or use a lite app that can send text across the cell network. There are apps, I believe that will do free text messages via WiFi, but I have not tried that on this phone yet.

      The "protective shield" is two pieces and it has perfect cutouts for headphone jack, camera, power and volume button, etc.

      So far this is a keeper for me. I love that we can have multiple applications running at the same time. Let me know if you have any other questions.

      Feel free to post your questions and your experiences with the S738C into this thread.
    • Teresa-Kay Lam
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
        Thanks, the two I ordered will be here today. I'll be porting numbers and minutes hopefully that'll go without a hitch, and this will be our second smartphone so I'll be comparing it to the incredible's operating as well as previous tracfones. Hope your experience continues to go as smooth :)

        Teresa

        --

        Tag by LLP  Tubes by K4U

        My Sites
      • Thomas Dodd
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
          > From: tfusr19 <gpa.pacman19@...>

          >The following link works to check your balance from phone (I used WiFi) or PC (you need the last 4 digits of the phone's IMEI #):
          >https://www.tracfone.com/direct/CheckBalance?input_phone=<your 10-digit number>

          If you login to your TF account first then you can click on the "check balance" link to the right of the phone info and not have to enter numbers.

          Not sure when TF added the "check balance" stuff, but I never noticed before.

          It partially works with older phones. It shows the service end data and correctly shows whether the phone is in a value plan. It doesn't get the date of next valueplan pyment right, and says see phone for airtime tank (giving instructions to do so)
        • eaglesfan76
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013

            Teresa,  Do let us know how the port goes, how your minute transfer works.  Curious if your minute transfer will equate to "talk" minutes only or will divide up into talk/text/web, like the inclosed PIN seems to do as per what tfusr19 said about her activation with the included 600/600/600.

            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
              Thomas,

              I want to faster approach, so I created a bookmark. The way you suggested works, but takes me more time :) . You have to enter the login/password, then select a phone or enter a phone number, then hit submit.

              My way, click the shortcut (with your phone at the end), enter the last 4, and hit submit.

              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                Will do, I recorded the HSN presentation, and printed what was on the HSN site, as well as what TF reps said in regards to porting, so it's suppose to work that way lol But we know how that goes :)

                Teresa

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                  Well, with stored credentials and forms data lots of possibilities :)

                  > I want to faster approach, so I created a bookmark.  The way you suggested
                  > works, but takes me more time :) .  You have to enter the login/password, then
                  > select a phone or enter a phone number, then hit submit.
                  >
                  > My way, click the shortcut (with your phone at the end), enter the last 4, and
                  > hit submit.
                  >
                  > --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Dodd <thomasdodd@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> > From: tfusr19 <gpa.pacman19@...>
                  >>

                  >> >The following link works to check your balance from phone (I used WiFi)
                  > or PC (you need the last 4 digits of the phone's IMEI #):
                  >> >https://www.tracfone.com/direct/CheckBalance?input_phone=<your
                  > 10-digit number>
                  >> >

                  >> If you login to your TF account first then you can click on the "check
                  > balance" link to the right of the phone info and not have to enter numbers.
                  >>
                  >> Not sure when TF added the "check balance" stuff, but I never
                  > noticed before.
                  >>
                  >> It partially works with older phones. It shows the service end data and
                  > correctly shows whether the phone is in a value plan. It doesn't get the
                  > date of next valueplan pyment right, and says see phone for airtime tank (giving
                  > instructions to do so)

                • tfusr19
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                    On your cell browser? Which browser and which phone?

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                      They shut off those functions at work, but I recall some of it working at home

                      I'll try when I get home with browsers on my tablet (running CM10.1) as well as on the laptop

                      As I said, possibilities.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                        My comments are in reference to doing it from a cell phone browser where you have a virtual keypad and maybe a browser that does not store passwords or do autofill :) .... forget about the PC or tablet case.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                          Why? The tablet runs Android and the same browsers as your new phone, where this would really be needed.

                          > My comments are in reference to doing it from a cell phone browser where you
                          > have a virtual keypad and maybe a browser that does not store passwords or do
                          > autofill :) .... forget about the PC or tablet case.
                          >
                          > --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Dodd <thomasdodd@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> They shut off those functions at work, but I recall some of it working at
                          > home
                          >>
                          >> I'll try when I get home with browsers on my tablet (running CM10.1) as
                          > well as on the laptop
                          >>

                          >> As I said, possibilities.

                        • Khurshid
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                            thanks for the update...a quick general question, if in wifi mode, you talk or text, does that get subtracted from the minutes or text quota?
                            thanks

                            --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, Teresa-Kay Lam <shenpixel@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > it get to 6%). I did do a lot of WiFi, installing apps, etc during this
                            > > period. It seems to be charging pretty fast ... it's up to 43% in about an
                            > > 1.25 hrs .
                            > >
                            > > 5. If you're a heavy texter, this phone could become expensive unless we
                            > > find a way to convert unused voice minutes or use a lite app that can send
                            > > text across the cell network. There are apps, I believe that will do free
                            > > text messages via WiFi, but I have not tried that on this phone yet.
                            > >
                            > > The "protective shield" is two pieces and it has perfect cutouts for
                            > > headphone jack, camera, power and volume button, etc.
                            > >
                            > > So far this is a keeper for me. I love that we can have multiple
                            > > applications running at the same time. Let me know if you have any other
                            > > questions.
                            > >
                            > > Feel free to post your questions and your experiences with the S738C into

                          • Teresa-Kay Lam
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013

                              I'm waiting for mine to port but from general history using past TD's and my previous smartphone, yes it will deduct from your minutes and text bank. You will need to use an app like Google voice and groove ip over WiFi to avoid that.

                              Teresa

                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                                Talking and texting requires the mobile network. There may be a way to do text over WiFi from the phone, but I'm not familiar with doing that and I don't think you can talk over WiFi using the phone.

                                --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "Khurshid" <khurshidgandhi@...> wrote:

                                > thanks for the update...a quick general question, if in wifi mode, you talk or text, does that get subtracted from the minutes or text quota?
                                > thanks

                              • Teresa-Kay Lam
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                                  You can buy an app called Grove IP in the Play Store for like 1.99 or 4.99 and use Google Voice to talk over WiFi for free after the inital app purchase.

                                  Teresa

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                                    Teresa,
                                    Thanks for posting this. Have you tried the Grove IP app or do you know any who has?

                                    --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, Teresa-Kay Lam <shenpixel@...> wrote:

                                    > You can buy an app called Grove IP in the Play Store for like 1.99 or 4.99
                                    > and use Google Voice to talk over WiFi for free after the inital app
                                    > purchase.
                                    >
                                    > Teresa
                                    >

                                    > On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM, tfusr19 <gpa.pacman19@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > **
                                    > >

                                    > > There may be a way to do text over WiFi from the phone, but I'm not
                                    > > familiar with doing that and I don't think you can talk over WiFi using the
                                    > > phone.

                                  • Teresa-Kay Lam
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                                      I used it on my Incredible before I canceled my contract, I suppose I could still be using it but it developed a problem with saying it was out of space and since it was no longer on the verizon network I can't update it so I took everything off of it that I wasn't using so I could continue to use it for Facebook and browsing while at hot spots.

                                      They have a free version too but it's limited, the paid version is $4.99.

                                      On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM, tfusr19 <gpa.pacman19@...> wrote:

                                      Teresa,
                                      Thanks for posting this. Have you tried the Grove IP app or do you know any who has?

                                    • Karma Pieces
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013

                                        On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 8:01 PM, tfusr19 <gpa.pacman19@...> wrote:

                                        Teresa,
                                        Thanks for posting this. Have you tried the Grove IP app or do you know any who has?

                                        --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, Teresa-Kay Lam <shenpixel@...> wrote:

                                        > You can buy an app called Grove IP in the Play Store for like 1.99 or 4.99
                                        > and use Google Voice to talk over WiFi for free after the inital app
                                        > purchase.
                                        >
                                        > Teresa
                                        >

                                        > On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM, tfusr19 <gpa.pacman19@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > **

                                        > > There may be a way to do text over WiFi from the phone, but I'm not
                                        > > familiar with doing that and I don't think you can talk over WiFi using the
                                        > > phone.

                                      • Khurshid
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                                          thanks for your input....

                                          --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "tfusr19" <gpa.pacman19@...> wrote:

                                          > Talking and texting requires the mobile network. There may be a way to do text over WiFi from the phone, but I'm not familiar with doing that and I don't think you can talk over WiFi using the phone.
                                          >
                                          > --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "Khurshid" <khurshidgandhi@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > thanks for the update...a quick general question, if in wifi mode, you talk or text, does that get subtracted from the minutes or text quota?
                                          > > thanks

                                        • parv000
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                                            in message <l22fb0+lcv1@...>, wrote tfusr19 thusly...

                                            > I don't think you can talk over WiFi using the phone.

                                            The free Vonage software for Android phones -- available in Google
                                            Play store -- allows to call over WiFi to US phone numbers for free.
                                            I have been using it without problems. Of course, there is also
                                            Skype software too.

                                            There is at least "Whatsapp" which requires an account with the
                                            service to be able to send text message over WiFi. I have not used
                                            it.

                                            --
                                          • Thomas Dodd
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013

                                              Tried with Firefox. First I switched to the full site. Then logged in to my account and had FF save the password.

                                              From the summary page I used the chef balance link for each phone.
                                              Site filled in number for the phone, clicked submit. Never asked for SN as I was logged in.
                                              Worked for all 3 hone on my account.

                                              Logged out, went back to TF page and lodged in without typing anything.

                                              Couldn't get UC to remember password, but I need to check settings.

                                              Only tried those two.

                                              FF remembered I wanted full site. UC never gave mobile site.

                                              If I can get back to mobile site, I think FF would remember numbers an fill in for me.

                                              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                                              Why? The tablet runs Android and the same browsers as your new phone, where this would really be needed.

                                              > My comments are in reference to doing it from a cell phone browser where you
                                              > have a virtual keypad and maybe a browser that does not store passwords or do
                                              > autofill :) .... forget about the PC or tablet case.
                                              >
                                              > --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Dodd <thomasdodd@...> wrote:
                                              >>
                                              >>  They shut off those functions at work, but I recall some of it working at
                                              > home
                                              >>
                                              >>  I'll try when I get home with browsers on my tablet (running CM10.1) as
                                              > well as on the laptop
                                              >>

                                              >>  As I said, possibilities.

                                              <*> Your email settings:
                                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                                  Tracfone_Users-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                                  Tracfone_Users-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                            • Teresa-Kay Lam
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                                                I came across this and it may be of use to some:

                                                How To Force Apps To Use WiFi Only On Android

                                                1. Click on Settings
                                                2. Click on Data Usage
                                                3. Select the app you want to only use Wi-Fi (to stop apps updating over 3G / 4G and only use Wi-Fi, select the Google Play app)
                                                4. Scroll down and click on Restrict background data -> OK

                                                This will stop the app from using 3G / 4G and only access the internet over the Wi-Fi connection.

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Oct 1, 2013
                                                  Is there really no way to turn of the annoyingly deafening camera shutter sound aside from loading apps to do this?

                                                  Please tell me there is (aside from an app or turning the phone notifications to vibrate or quite - I do want to hear phone calls, etc) .