Re: IMAP fails on LG840G

  • RogerD
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 6, 2013
      While we're on this subject I have some questions about setting up Email accounts in the 840G. Used to do things like this years ago in PCs, but there are newer issues not well understood.

      Went to set up with an outlook.com account. Phone asks for server incoming and outgoing information, which I did not know being a web based system rather than an ISP. Did some searches and came up with incoming=pop.mail.com and outgoing=SMTP.mail.com. Are these wrong? Using these, port assignment were made. It does not work.

      How are you supposed to know how to do these things? I never had to do anything like this for maybe 15 years, as the ISP always provided the setup and it only occasionally had to be reset with a problem. There was no "push" function and there was no IMAP option visible to the user back then.

      --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, Dave <dchris907@...> wrote:

      > Further in my saga, I did a master reset and master clear, I was briefly able to get push configured with my account but it seems to use pop and when you delete a message, it doesn't delete it on the server. Deleted the account and Tried reconfiguring my email account as imap on the phone with no push and it fails as before.
      >
      > Any account I enter fails. I wonder if there's some behind the scenes thing with trac as you cannot use email unless its activated. It fails on wifi and on 3G data, I've burned about 5 units so far.
      >
      > I'm ready to go back to my s390, even with the wonky double space key, exchange crashes, and other nightmares. Or maybe just get one of those Alcatel dumb phones....
      >
      > Argh!
      >
      > Sent while mobile.
      >
      > On Aug 6, 2013, at 10:00, Dave <dave@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Yes, the phone is in the same location it used it work in, no changes to phone or account settings. Built in browser and opera work fine. I can send mail so I know the settings are still valid, but receiving fails. Account works fine on ipad and computer.
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > >
      > > Sent while mobile.
      > >
      > > On Aug 6, 2013, at 5:13, Thomas Dodd <thomasdodd@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> I assume you have good wi-fi (data) connectivity for the browser, and email is all that's not working.
      > >> (good to check though)
      > >>
      > >> Pull the battery with the phone still on.
      > >> Wait a minute or two, then reassemble and try.
      > >>
      > >> Also try deleting the account, then pulling the battery.

    • Thomas Dodd
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 6, 2013
        Depends on the server, but often you have to manually select encryption (TLS/SSL) and the correct port.

        The setting page you found should have listed that info
        For Office 360, Outlook Web app
        http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/cc875899.aspx
        At the bottom is info (a video) on getting the server setting you need.

        For webmail (like hotmail/live.com)
        http://email.about.com/od/Outlook.com/f/What-Are-The-Outlook-com-Pop-Server-Settings.htm
        http://email.about.com/od/Outlook.com/f/What-Are-The-Outlook-com-Smtp-Server-Settings.htm

        http://email.about.com/od/Accessing-Mail-com/f/Mail-com-POP3-Server-Settings.htm
        http://email.about.com/od/Accessing-Mail-com/f/Mail-com-SMTP-Server-Settings.htm

        Looks like IMAP is either a futire option or a preimum (pay for it) option.
        http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2510873
        http://email.about.com/od/Accessing-Mail-com/f/Mail-com-IMAP-Server-Settings.htm

        IMAP wasn't real big 15 years ago, except in a corporate environment.

        It's server and bandwidth intensive. Only recently have "free" mail servers added support for it. It stores all the message on the server, sort of like webmail.
        You have access to all your folders and such from any client.

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 6, 2013
          Geeze - looks like setting up Email is real hardcore nerd stuff that 95% of Tracfone users would never want to do. I will play with it some, but the need is minimal and the amount of time needed to make it work self limited. If if it is not fairly easy it will not be done!

          Office 360? I will never be solely on the "cloud", so any advice for that is wasted. Not everybody buys into the present trend of the software companies to get us off local control.

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 6, 2013
            So, did you follow the later links for the free web services from Microsoft?

            You just said outlook.com. I don't have a clue what service you meant.

            So, I listed 3 options for you.

            Nothing "hardcore" about it. 5 minutes with a search engine or you email provider's help pages would get you the correct settings.

            Of course a lot of devices will fill in automatically and get it right based on the server in you address. Works great until the provider changes something and the devices don't know.

            I pay for email through my AT&T, so I can just call/email them and ask for the settings (which have changed at least 4 times in the last 6 years)

            Hardcore? Let's set up our own server, configuring sendmail from
            scratch, no GUI setup wizard allowed either. Then configure IMAP and POP access, again, no pretty point and click wizards allowed. It's been 10 years, but I could probably get it working.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 6, 2013
              Don't know what outlook.com is? It's the old hotmail reinvented by Microsoft trying to wean us off yahoo mail and gmail. There is nothing about anything like setting up for mobile use, or much of anything else. ISP settings for outlook.com from Microsoft? This is web based service not like what you may be using.

              I had a hotmail account for many years but never much used it. My primary email is with yahoo, and it is not available to external use without the $20 per year Plus option. I currently have an email account with my AT&T DSL service but don't use it. It is outlook.com I am interested in, and was hoping someone who has that account could help me set it up in the phone.

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 7, 2013
                If you prefer a Microsoft source:
                http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/outlook/send-receive-from-app
                Last in the list, under Apps that support POP3 or SMTP.

                I included these links before:
                > For webmail (like hotmail/live.com)
                > http://email.about.com/od/Outlook.com/f/What-Are-The-Outlook-com-Pop-Server-Settings.htm

                * Outlook.com SMTP server address: smtp.live.com
                * Outlook.com SMTP user name: Your full Outlook.com email address (not an alias)
                * Outlook.com SMTP password: Your Outlook.com password
                * Outlook.com SMTP port: 587
                * Outlook.com SMTP TLS/SSL encryption required: yes
                > http://email.about.com/od/Outlook.com/f/What-Are-The-Outlook-com-Smtp-Server-Settings.htm

                * Outlook.com POP server address: pop3.live.com
                * Outlook.com POP user name: Your full Outlook.com email address (not an alias)
                * Outlook.com POP password: Your Outlook.com password
                * Outlook.com POP port: 995
                * Outlook.com POP TLS/SSL encryption required: yes No IMAP yet (possible future premium option).

                I don't keep up with Microsoft's offerings. Hotmail I've heard of, and knew live.com was related. Didn't know about outlook.com and it's relation to the others.

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 7, 2013
                  Thanks Thomas - I will try these settings.

                  Actually there is an easy way to access the common web mail services from the browser, and not from the Email function. There is a Social and Email category on the main page menu which I did not remember...the page looks different than before. I could access my Yahoo mail account somewhere else in the browser before, but lost the ability. Seems it was remembered as it was already set up and no password was required. There is one for Hotmail that I will have to set up next time I have Wi-Fi access. Should work OK for Outlook.com, as all the Hotmail accounts were rolled over to Outlook a few months ago.

                  --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Dodd <thomasdodd@...> wrote:

                  > If you prefer a Microsoft source:
                  > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/outlook/send-receive-from-app
                  > Last in the list, under Apps that support POP3 or SMTP.
                  >

                  > I included these links before:
                  > > For webmail (like hotmail/live.com)
                  > > http://email.about.com/od/Outlook.com/f/What-Are-The-Outlook-com-Pop-Server-Settings.htm
                  >
                  > * Outlook.com SMTP server address: smtp.live.com
                  > * Outlook.com SMTP user name: Your full Outlook.com email address (not an alias)
                  > * Outlook.com SMTP password: Your Outlook.com password
                  > * Outlook.com SMTP port: 587
                  > * Outlook.com SMTP TLS/SSL encryption required: yes
                  > > http://email.about.com/od/Outlook.com/f/What-Are-The-Outlook-com-Smtp-Server-Settings.htm
                  > >
                  > * Outlook.com POP server address: pop3.live.com
                  > * Outlook.com POP user name: Your full Outlook.com email address (not an alias)
                  > * Outlook.com POP password: Your Outlook.com password
                  > * Outlook.com POP port: 995
                  > * Outlook.com POP TLS/SSL encryption required: yes No IMAP yet (possible future premium option).
                  >

                  > I don't keep up with Microsoft's offerings. Hotmail I've heard of, and knew live.com was related. Didn't know about outlook.com and it's relation to the others.
                  >

                  > >________________________________

                • tfusr19
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 13, 2013
                    Dave,

                    It's not just you. I configured email on my activated LG840G today. I can sent/receive using IMAP for my yahoo.com account, but with my gmail.com account, only POP works.

                    I've read that other people are having this issue of IMAP suddenly not working on their LG840G too - so I think there's something in the gmail.com IMAP path outside of the phone that's been broken recently.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 13, 2013
                      A bit more confusion to add to the mix.

                      I can access both my yahoo and gmail email via IMAP using the email client on my Samsung S390G Tracfone.

                      On my Tracfone LG840G, IMAP works for my yahoo mail, but only POP works for gmail on the LG840G.

                      So my unable to access gmail via IMAP using LG840G problem is specific to the LG840G since it works fine on my S390G