Re: [Tracfone_Users] LG480G

  • Richard Knuth
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 13, 2012
      On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 14:20:13 -0600, jeri le mieux <whatthu2000@...>
      wrote:

      > Jeri - noticed you have used the new LG480G and have a questions not
      > answered in the manual or tutorial.

      Funny I can't find this phone on the Tracfone sight.

      Richard
      The Golf Bu
    • Richard Knuth
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 13, 2012
        On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 14:52:08 -0600, jeri le mieux <whatthu2000@...>
        wrote:

        > excuse me. lg840

        That answers my question.... this model will not work in 78643 anyway.

        Richard
        The Golf Bum
      • eaglesfan
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 13, 2012
          Are you in a GSM or CDMA area? Quite often a phone is not listed on the TF website but available thru other avenues.

          --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Knuth" <pueblogolfbum@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 14:52:08 -0600, jeri le mieux <whatthu2000@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > excuse me. lg840
          >
          > That answers my question.... this model will not work in 78643 anyway.
          >
          > Richard
          > The Golf Bum

        • Richard Knuth
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 13, 2012
            On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 17:00:59 -0600, eaglesfan <eaglesfan76@...>
            wrote:

            > Are you in a GSM or CDMA area?

            I have no idea. I just know that when I put in 78643 it says that phone
            will not work here.

            I have a Motorola w376g that works quite well here. I just want better
            bluetooth to connect to my Silverado.

            Richard
            The Golf Bum
          • L M
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 13, 2012
              When I put 78643 into the Tracfone site, it comes up GSM4, which means you are being assigned to AT&T sim phones. So the LG840G should work, according to Tracfone's reckoning. But Tracfone does not sell every model on its website. They must prefer to let the regular retailers handle it. Perhaps the stores want the higher-end phones (and they can better handle the task of people returning stuff).

              --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Knuth" <pueblogolfbum@...> wrote:

              > On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 14:52:08 -0600, jeri le mieux <whatthu2000@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > excuse me. lg840
              >
              > That answers my question.... this model will not work in 78643 anyway.
              >
              > Richard
              > The Golf Bum

            • gmannix62
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 14, 2012
                http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?custId=NTLG840G&locale=en_US Highlight and paste in your address bar....

                --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Knuth" <pueblogolfbum@...> wrote:

                > On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 14:20:13 -0600, jeri le mieux <whatthu2000@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > Jeri - noticed you have used the new LG480G and have a questions not
                > > answered in the manual or tutorial.
                >

                > Funny I can't find this phone on the Tracfone sight.
                >
                > Richard
                > The Golf Bu

              • hpham_53
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 14, 2012
                  --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, jeri le mieux <whatthu2000@...> wrote:

                  > Also the wifi feature is great, you can surf the web, check your mail, no minutes used.

                  Really? If so, I wonder when TF will turn off that option since you're using their (contracted) cell service and they're not earning any money via the minute usage.
                • Richard Sheasley
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 14, 2012
                    Why would they care- no traffic is going across their network when you are
                    connected to Wifi for data usage. Most all other higher end phones offer
                    wifi connection to be used instead of the cellular network. Off loads the
                    data traffic volume, so they do not have to upgrade as fast for data use.
                    No different than a user carrying a phone for emergency usage only and
                    rarely using it for voice.

                    Richard Sheasley

                    At 06:40 PM 2012-11-14 +0000, you wrote:

                    >--- In
                    ><mailto:Tracfone_Users%40yahoogroups.com>Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com,
                    >jeri le mieux <whatthu2000@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Also the wifi feature is great, you can surf the web, check your mail,
                    > no minutes used.
                    >
                    >Really? If so, I wonder when TF will turn off that option since you're
                    >using their (contracted) cell service and they're not earning any money
                    >via the minute usage.

                  • hpham_53
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 14, 2012
                      --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, Richard Sheasley <rsheasley@...> wrote:

                      > Why would they care- no traffic is going across their network when you are connected to Wifi for data usage.

                      Sorry, my mistake. I thought the surfing, email, etc was done through the cell network.
                    • RogerD
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 14, 2012
                        Great to hear the LG840G does not have the dreaded call screen lock!!!

                        But does it have the sucky "this application not trusted...) warning when running apps? The 800G is terrible for this - comes on every 10 seconds.

                        This phone does not have built in GPS capability despite what a few ads claim. Google Maps Mobile for a Java phone looks like a simplified regular Google Maps for a PC. It is not using any position tracking. Not like the turn-by-turn directions you get from a real smartphone that has GPS, or can link to an external GPS device.

                        --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, jeri le mieux <whatthu2000@...> wrote:

                        > no, no and no!!! the screen does not lock like the lg800g. that was one of my pet peeves about it.  also the wifi feature is great, you can surf the web, check your mail, no minutes used. also has downloadable google maps and turn by turn directions. (gps). i love it. the smartest phone tracfone has offered.
                        > jeri
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • RogerD
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 14, 2012
                          Unfortunatley, the LG480G model is about as far as a "feature" phone can go. They could add GPS but it likely would not run with the slowness of a Java app, older hardware, and limited OS.

                          Tempting because of the 3G and Wi-Fi in a touchscreen phone that is an enhanced version of the popular 800G. Maybe not worth it in the longer run.

                          Think it will not be too long before Tracfone offers an Android model that will do a LOT more. There are already a couple of LG Android models from Net10 that are selling for not that much more than the 840G. These all have GPS and will run Google Maps for Android (wow!!!), as well as the huge number of other Android apps.

                          --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, jeri le mieux <whatthu2000@...> wrote:

                          > no, no and no!!! the screen does not lock like the lg800g. that was one of my pet peeves about it.  also the wifi feature is great, you can surf the web, check your mail, no minutes used. also has downloadable google maps and turn by turn directions. (gps). i love it. the smartest phone tracfone has offered.
                          > jeri
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • jeri le mieux
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 14, 2012
                            roger, i have downloaded google maps on mylg840g and  and what i see is just like my garmin gps without the voice. i can get directions from point a to point b, get the street view,my house view, sattilte  or terrain view, distance to next turn, driving or walking time and directions. i am in texas now and i have looked at the complete directions to my home in wisconsin. 1751 miles from where i am now. my garmin says 1743 to my wisconsin home, not much of a distance difference. i have the signed version, no popups about trusted sights. an it downloads just as fast as the garmin. also shows motels, food, gas, and points interest. the verison is google maps 2.3.2
                            hopes this helps,
                            jeri

                            ________________________________

                            --- In mailto:Tracfone_Users%40yahoogroups.com, jeri le mieux <whatthu2000@...> wrote:

                            > no, no and no!!! the screen does not lock like the lg800g. that was one of my pet peeves about it.  also the wifi feature is great, you can surf the web, check your mail, no minutes used. also has downloadable google maps and turn by turn directions. (gps). i love it. the smartest phone tracfone has offered.
                            > jeri
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • hpham_53
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 15, 2012
                              --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, jeri le mieux <whatthu2000@...> wrote:

                              > roger, i have downloaded google maps on mylg840g and  and what i see is just like my garmin gps without the voice. i can get directions from point a to point b, get the street view,my house view, sattilte  or terrain view, distance to next turn, driving or walking time and directions.

                              I'm curious to see if you can get turn by turn direction from your LG840G while driving in your car, away from wifi signal. Without a GPS (either built-in, docked in, or via bluetooth) and using no cell service, I don't see how it can work.
                            • jeri le mieux
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 15, 2012
                                here is what i tried, i live in brownsville, tx. i plotted from brownsville to port isabel,tx. 18 miles away. it gave turn by turn directions. you have to push the #6 on the keyboard for the mileage and the next turn. push #8 and you get the street view in a popup box. i turned the wrong way and it recalulated to get me back on track. it was on wifi when i left the house, it then switched to minutes. , however you can turn the phone off and back on to keep getting directions. the settings stay until you delete them. so it does not use a lot of minutes. i would think in a emergency it would be very useful.
                                jeri

                                ________________________________
                                > roger, i have downloaded google maps on mylg840g and  and what i see is just like my garmin gps without the voice. i can get directions from point a to point b, get the street view,my house view, sattilte  or terrain view, distance to next turn, driving or walking time and directions.

                                I'm curious to see if you can get turn by turn direction from your LG840G while driving in your car, away from wifi signal. Without a GPS (either built-in, docked in, or via bluetooth) and using no cell service, I don't see how it can work.

                              • Oscar
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 15, 2012
                                  Is this on the new LC840G smartphone 3G?

                                           ---------OSC-------------

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 15, 2012
                                    Interesting you get that kind of performance. Must be the 3G data speed and maybe the 840G's capability itself. My 800G will do some of the things you listed, but it is miserable. Very slow, and quits after a few tries with an error message "Needs network access....". This app does not work on this phone! Then there is the horrid "Application is untrusted..." stop screen happening every few seconds. The 800G does this with all Java apps except games.

                                    There was a version of 2.3.2 called Fullscreen made for (maybe already installed on) Samsung touchscreen phones. Tried to find a download site, but was a wild goose chase to a bunch of stale threads and sites that seemed dangerous. References to it being at Google Maps Mobile only bring you the present Android page. All this information is 2-3 years old. Found the later version 3.0.2, but it would not work on my phone.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 15, 2012
                                      I don't trust my version of 2.3.2 after a second loading works worse than before. Can you provide the link to where you got yours?

                                      Interesting that it works on Wi-Fi also. Have seen references that positioning is done by cell tower triangulation on non-GPS phones. That would not work with Wi-Fi. Also have seen that your position is indicated by a blue dot for GPS phones and black dot with a blue circle for non-GPS. I see no positioning indicator. My original thought was that this version had no positioning, and just downloaded the map like the PC version does.

                                      RogerD

                                      --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, jeri le mieux <whatthu2000@...> wrote:

                                      > here is what i tried, i live in brownsville, tx. i plotted from brownsville to port isabel,tx. 18 miles away. it gave turn by turn directions. you have to push the #6 on the keyboard for the mileage and the next turn. push #8 and you get the street view in a popup box. i turned the wrong way and it recalulated to get me back on track. it was on wifi when i left the house, it then switched to minutes. , however you can turn the phone off and back on to keep getting directions. the settings stay until you delete them. so it does not use a lot of minutes. i would think in a emergency it would be very useful.
                                      > jeri
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                    • Andy Hill
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 15, 2012
                                        Speaking from experience (on Android phones and tablets, not the LG840G
                                        specifically), Google knows the location of most wifi hotspots (including
                                        the one in my house), and can use that info for pretty decent positioning
                                        purposes. Yeah, it makes me a bit queasy, too...

                                        On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM, RogerD <red2dog45@...> wrote:

                                        > **
                                        >

                                        > I don't trust my version of 2.3.2 after a second loading works worse than
                                        > before. Can you provide the link to where you got yours?
                                        >
                                        > Interesting that it works on Wi-Fi also. Have seen references that
                                        > positioning is done by cell tower triangulation on non-GPS phones. That
                                        > would not work with Wi-Fi. Also have seen that your position is indicated
                                        > by a blue dot for GPS phones and black dot with a blue circle for non-GPS.
                                        > I see no positioning indicator. My original thought was that this version
                                        > had no positioning, and just downloaded the map like the PC version does.
                                        >
                                        > RogerD
                                        >

                                        > --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, jeri le mieux <whatthu2000@...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > here is what i tried, i live in brownsville, tx. i plotted from
                                        > brownsville to port isabel,tx. 18 miles away. it gave turn by turn
                                        > directions. you have to push the #6 on the keyboard for the mileage and the
                                        > next turn. push #8 and you get the street view in a popup box. i turned the
                                        > wrong way and it recalulated to get me back on track. it was on wifi when i
                                        > left the house, it then switched to minutes. , however you can turn the
                                        > phone off and back on to keep getting directions. the settings stay until
                                        > you delete them. so it does not use a lot of minutes. i would think in a
                                        > emergency it would be very useful.
                                        > > jeri
                                        > >

                                        > > ________________________________

                                      • jeri le mieux
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 15, 2012
                                          try m.google.com in your phones browser. i got verison 2.3.2. the first time i got the unsigned verison. the one with the "do you really want to trust this application popup" coming up every few klicks. i deleted that and down loaded it again and got the signed verison. that is what i am useing. and is working very good for me.
                                          jeri

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 15, 2012
                                            Now that some of you have this phone, would you mind giving exterior as well as screen dimensions?

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 15, 2012
                                              Downloaded Google Maps 2.3.2 directly to the phone from m.google.com as you said, but after three tries it was always the unsigned version. Like I said before, the LG800G does not like this app!

                                              Enough is too much and I will spend no more time trying to do what seems unworkable. The LG840G seems to work, but the technology is five years old and can go no further. I see it as only a stopgap as Tracfone transitions into lower end Android phones. It will happen in not that much time, and I will wait for this huge improvement in phone capability.